Board logo

Multi Plugs for Front/Rear Lights
ChrisJ15 - 18/10/15 at 11:32 AM

I want to use a single plug for each of the front and rears lights so it can be disconnected in one go when my front or rear clams are removed.

Ive used the 'superseal' plugs before but I need 7 pins for the rear and they only seem to go up to 6.

I've seen 'waterproof' plugs with more connectors on eBay but as none of the big electrical suppliers sell them I would expect them to be a bit dodgy.

Ive used the nylon 'mate-n-lock' connectors inside the car and I wonder I could use these with lots of silicone sealant to keep the moisture out?

CosKev3 - 18/10/15 at 11:45 AM

Personally I would rather use a 4 and 3 pin superseal each side than use a non weatherproof 7 pin and silicone

britishtrident - 18/10/15 at 12:23 PM

Simplest solution is a trailer plug & socket £16 should find you 2 x plugs + 2 x sockets on ebay

blakep82 - 18/10/15 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Simplest solution is a trailer plug & socket £16 should find you 2 x plugs + 2 x sockets on ebay

That's how I'm doing mine!
One 7 pin plug to the back light,
One 7 pin to the front lights,
One 13 pin for engine electrics, sensors, fans horn etc

RoadkillUK - 18/10/15 at 02:52 PM

Hi, I've used these for my front lights.

Ebay Link

britishtrident - 18/10/15 at 08:08 PM

Keep in mind normal Superseal connectors are only rated at 8 amps per terminal, so the headlights alone would occupy 6 ways.

Slimy38 - 18/10/15 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

That's how I'm doing mine!
One 7 pin plug to the back light,
One 7 pin to the front lights,
One 13 pin for engine electrics, sensors, fans horn etc

Same here, seems quite a logical way to separate sections of the car. I wanted to figure out a way of bolting the connectors to the chassis though, at least one end. Probably a variation on how they're traditionally fixed on a tow ball maybe?

tims31 - 19/10/15 at 06:44 AM

quote:
Keep in mind normal Superseal connectors are only rated at 8 amps per terminal, so the headlights alone would occupy 6 ways.

The ones I am using are rated at 14 amps so should be ok so long as you're careful of the earth return.

http://www.at-k.co.uk/users/twc/pdf/Superseal-Connector-Technical-Data .pdf