Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to change the brake fluid (properly)
smart51

posted on 27/7/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
How to change the brake fluid (properly)

Last time I replaced brake fluid, I drained equal amounts from each wheel until the reservoir level was at minimum, topped it up with new fluid and again drained equal amounts from each wheel and finally topped up with new fluid. All this using an eezeebleed and spare tyre for the pressure. I did it this way so that there was no chance of introducing air into the pipes, brakes or master cylinders.

I was always a bit unsure of this as there was still a fair bit of old fluid in the reservoir when I topped it up so a bit of old and perhaps contaminated fluid remained. Are you supposed to completely drain the fluid and refill from empty?

r1_pete

posted on 27/7/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
A Gunsons Easi Bleed makes life really easy here, well worth the money.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 27/7/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
It's the same way that I always do it

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/7/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
As your not actually bleeding any air out, only circulating new fluid through the pipes, a rubber hose is more than sufficient. I’ve tried the easy bleed thing a few times and been less than impressed tbh. If the seals are ok in the master cylinder one person can without difficulty bleed the brakes using nothing more than the hose for the vacuum advance. What often helps is wrapping PTFE tape round the bleed screw thread to prevent air being drawn back in to the slave cylinder. As the hose is under the fluid surface in the jar, air can’t be drawn in through that.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cousin Cleotis

posted on 27/7/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
push all your caliper pistons back, this will reduce the volume of old fluid in the system.

i always drain the resevoir completely, if you leave some fluid in the resevoir it will contaminate your new fluid.

i never worry about introducing air into the system, its going to bleed anyway.

Paul

wicket

posted on 27/7/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Never had a lot of success with the Eze Bleed but find the Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit (Plastic) MV6820 excellent, more money though. Rescued attachment JS-MV6820-1.jpg
Rescued attachment JS-MV6820-1.jpg

Gazeddy

posted on 27/7/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
i got access to a pressure bleeder and can honestly say it beats any other method.

basically i drain reservoir replace wit fresh fill bleeder and connect then open nipples until im getting clean fluid out of it. job done

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.