Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie help and advice
gharris333

posted on 12/8/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie help and advice

Hi all!

I've just bought a racing locost to hopefully race in the 750 series next year. It needs a little cosmetic work but overall I think it was good value.

However, now that I've had a better look around the car, there are a couple of things worrying me (safety wise) as well as a few pieces of bodywork that need replacing. I really, however, do not wish to spend more money than I absolutely need to but am still going to be a stickler for safety:

1. My main worry it the way the roll cage is mounted to the chassis. The front feet are mounted to a triangular 5mm steel plate welded to the top of the chassis rail and bar crossing the foot well. This means the centre of the roll cage is approximately 80mm from the centre of the nearest vertical upright. The lack of vertical support is worrying me and if, in an incident, the cross member across the footwell gives way, then it's only going to end with crushed legs!!! The mid mounting points are done in a similar way, but the rearmost mounts are at least welded to the bottom of the chassis. I was thinking I could add extra members to get the support (don't know how that will go down with scrutineers), or get a new front hoop bent and professionally fitted to the cage so it mounts outside the chassis. Any ideas? Or am I being too paranoid?

2. The seat is a Kirkey lightweight item. It looks like its been fitted to a different car previously so I have no idea how old it is. I fit in it quite well width wise, but the rib protectors are far too high under my arms. I'd like to modify this seat as its too nice to get rid of, so has anyone modified these as it looks difficult. I also like the Kirkey as I can get some head restraints to use with the existing seat. Otherwise, what seats would you suggest? Custom foam seats wouldn't be great as I would like family and friends to be able to drive the car and the duck tape covers aren't particularly nice. I'd like to IVA the car so a second matching seat may be good.

3. I need a new battery. What does everyone else use? The current item it a Red Top 30.

4. Can anyone suggest a supplier of rear wheel arches and the sort of price I should expect?

Sorry about the length of post but any suggestions will be appreciated. I'll try to add some photos.

Thanks, Graham

gharris333

posted on 12/8/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Roll cage feet
Roll cage feet

Roll cage feet 2
Roll cage feet 2

Roll cage
Roll cage

Kirkey seat
Kirkey seat

ReMan

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi good luck with the project.
TBH I'd consider prepping for racing or for IVA and not both.
Roll cage mounts ar probably better than they look, but I get your concern.
Again for racing , I can understand wanting it to look well turned out , but you wouldn't want to get too precious and it get scratched!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Trollyjack

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
You should join the locost racing group on facebook its called
750mc locosters

[Edited on 12/8/14 by Trollyjack]

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 12/8/14 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I found great value by hunting out an experienced scrutiniser from my local hill climb/sprint/race MSA/FIA organisation. I used a chap who does the MSA scrutinizing for the saloon cars at Knokhill. These people are there to help. My opinion is the regs for the various classes are way behind the safety technology available. For my class A4 I don't even need a roll hoop would you believe. I however have a lot of safety kit, so I concur on your attitude to safety.

Even although I have the maximum I can afford I still get words of wisdom from the Renny about improvements so don't get too put off by their comments.

see: http://westfieldbusa.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/seats-crotch-and-hans.html

I have spent in the order of £2500 on safety related equipment over the last year and worth every penny (I hope not).

You however don't need everything on day one but a process of continuous improvements should be your goal. What you are starting off with looks safe enough but I think your own comments are valid. The seat, if it is uncomfortable, will probably cause you injury in a "big one". However probably much safer than any GRP seat. The cage/roll bar mountings don't look that bad to me but you may need some expert comment here.

Best of luck and enjoy.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Brian R

posted on 13/8/14 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
The front roll cage mounts are similar to many cars on the grid including ours but they should really be (as stated in the blue book.) above a vertical chassis member. I think if it were
my car I would alter it to be compliant so as not to cause safety/scrutineering issues.

Battery. We use red tops but offhand don't know the model but can have a look next time I'm at the workshop.

Wheel arches. Several drivers/teams make their own and can supply. Richard Dixon at Allied or Matt Gilmore at procomp are two examples.

As for the kirkey seat I was advised they are not really suitable for open topped spaceframe cars with stories of drivers getting trapped in their seats after impact with the rescue crew finding extraction difficult due to the limited access to the car. I can only think of two or three drivers on the grid that actually use them. Most use either moulded foam or Tillet style fibreglass seats.

We'll be at Silverstone, Cadwell and donington with car 21 so if you're about come and find us for a chat and we'll help out any way we can.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.