Board logo

The Olympic Flame...
scootz - 18/5/12 at 08:15 PM

Can someone remind me please how many Olympics David Beckham has competed in over the years? How many medals has he won?

Yes, that's right... NONE!

So why the **** is he the 'face' of the torch relay!?

How must the likes of Steve Redgrave, Chris Hoy, Daley Thompson, Kelly Holmes, even Eddie the ******* Eagle feel about this!?

Linky

CRAIGR - 18/5/12 at 08:28 PM

And why do you need a ferking great plane full of numpties to bring the bloody flame (or 4) here.

T66 - 18/5/12 at 08:28 PM

He won the stupid tash & beard gold medal in 2012.....

He is working up to be a "Sir" so is shadowing Sebcoe closely, 10 years he will be a Sir...

100%

scootz - 18/5/12 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66

Aye, but I'll have his crown in 2013!

JoelP - 18/5/12 at 08:31 PM

Bah humbug. Rightly or wrongly the man is an icon of english/british sport, he's far more famous than our olympic heros, and he does occationally seem a nice chap.

Remember, give a man a flame and he'll be warm for a day, but set him on fire, and he'll be hot for the rest of his life.

Edit - id be very suprised if he's made a sir at all, never mind 10 years.

[Edited on 18/5/12 by JoelP]

T66 - 18/5/12 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Bah humbug. Rightly or wrongly the man is an icon of english/british sport, he's far more famous than our olympic heros, and he does occationally seem a nice chap.

Remember, give a man a flame and he'll be warm for a day, but set him on fire, and he'll be hot for the rest of his life.

He does come across well, my problem with him is his odd wife. She has an ego on a par with 100 Locosters.

A tenner says he is a Sir in 10 years ....?

designer - 18/5/12 at 09:00 PM

An Icon?

He was a good footballer, one of the best we have produced, but he was NOT world class.

Became really popular(?) as he was dragged along, and embarassed, by his Mrs's PR machine.

He could have acheived a lot more.

Hellfire - 18/5/12 at 09:17 PM

Beckham is a favourite for selection in the Olympic football team. Team GB. He is probably the most iconic and recognisable british sportsman we have. So why not choose him as the face of the torch relay?

Phil

[Edited on 18-5-12 by Hellfire]

daniel mason - 18/5/12 at 09:19 PM

were you saying the same when ali lit the flame? (think it was in atlanta) think he only won 1 when car lewis and others were multiple winners

Confused but excited. - 18/5/12 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
He is probably the most iconic and recognisable british sportsman we have.

What! Surely you mean Moronic not Iconic.

austin man - 18/5/12 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

He resembles that remark

NigeEss - 18/5/12 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

Absolutely, I've plants in my garden with a higher IQ.

How quickly the world forgets his past, deliberate fouls, sent of for poor behaviour, etc.
Plenty of well recognised sportsmen/women out there more suitable for the role.

gottabedone - 18/5/12 at 10:29 PM

I'm struggling with ^^^^^^^^^^^^ as well!.........."iconic" hardly:

StevenB - 18/5/12 at 11:47 PM

Don't really get his involvement but I guess as the whole
thing of awarding the host city honours is probably a bit fixed
- allegedly - most foreign voting wannabees just want to meet
someone famous.

"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball,
he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."
GEORGE BEST about Beckham

RK - 19/5/12 at 01:37 AM

I want Eddie the Eagle. But hey, it's your party.

morcus - 19/5/12 at 05:46 AM

I wish we'd gone for Eddie, but I don't think Beckham is a bad choice. He's deffinitly more recognisable to a world audience than any of our Olympic winners.

I don't really care much either way though, and most of the people I would have picked are probably dead.

fesycresy - 19/5/12 at 06:00 AM

I saw Eddie on DIY SOS, he's a plasterer.

Came across as a sound bloke.

scootz - 19/5/12 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
were you saying the same when ali lit the flame? (think it was in atlanta) think he only won 1 when car lewis and others were multiple winners

Ali is still an olympian... a gold medal winning one at that!

Beckham is neither.

scootz - 19/5/12 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Beckham is a favourite for selection in the Olympic football team. Team GB...

Again... that's another slap in the face! This time to the youngsters that were meant to be chosen for the Olympic team. One of them will miss out on the experience of a lifetime because of one mans vanity.

Hellfire - 19/5/12 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

Plenty of well recognised sportsmen/women out there more suitable for the role.

Go on then............. who?

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Beckham fan but he's one of few sportsmen who actually bothered to go to the Olympic commitee and lobby for the games to come to England. He is universally recognisable and is an ambassador for the 2012 Paralympic Games. He was chosen by the organisers and the British Council in recognition of his commitment and dedication to sport.

IMO that makes him suitable to be the face of the torch relay.

Phil

Hellfire - 19/5/12 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Beckham is a favourite for selection in the Olympic football team. Team GB...

Again... that's another slap in the face! This time to the youngsters that were meant to be chosen for the Olympic team. One of them will miss out on the experience of a lifetime because of one mans vanity.

There is no pressure to pick David Beckham for Team GB and his place in the squad isn't guaranteed. I'm sure they will choose a team considered capable of lifting the trophy. Whether that team includes Beckham or not, remains to be seen.....

Phil

NeilP - 19/5/12 at 09:22 AM

I'm with Hellfire - He may not have the best footballer ever but he's slogged away at it because he loves it.

He also grew up a few miles from the Olympic park so he's the local face of the games.

He's made some unfortunate choices in his life - haven't we all - strikes me as a simple bloke, doing what he loves and working for his country - that's good.

If he (/ the missus) decides to stay in LA after his contract finishes this year then that might be another thing - you have to live here and pay taxes just like the rest of us...

ed1max - 19/5/12 at 09:32 AM

Its all a load of old bollocks

scootz - 19/5/12 at 09:38 AM

I don't doubt for a second that he's a decent bloke. He was also a decent footballer. He also seems to be a deceit ambassador for the country and did well in his efforts to bring the World Cup to our shores.

He is NOT, however, an Olympian.

Hellfire - 19/5/12 at 11:32 AM

quote:
I don't doubt for a second that he's a decent bloke. He was also a decent footballer. He also seems to be a deceit ambassador for the country and did well in his efforts to bring the World Cup to our shores.

He is NOT, however, an Olympian.

Neither was John Mark, the last british athlete to light the olympic flame at the 1948 Summer Olympics held in London..........

Phil

JacksAvon - 19/5/12 at 12:52 PM

In contrast to the Olympic flame proper, the torch relay of modern times which transports the flame from Greece to the various designated sites of the games had no ancient precedent and was introduced by Carl Diem at the controversial 1936 Berlin Olympics.

So, we are continuing a PR fad dreampt up by the Nazis, if the great and the good want to be involved, along with some essex plank then ~~~~ them!

Jon Ison - 19/5/12 at 02:00 PM

They can stuff the flame, it passes by our business premisses you should see the letter we have had, can't do this, can't do that, don't do this, don't do that. Not that we want to but can't even display 2012 !!! Worse than catering van and the number 7 ? Basically we have been told to hide away until it's past, it's there road.

perksy - 19/5/12 at 04:00 PM

Just my 2p

But i think there's more important things to worry about than folks running around smiling
with a torch

Don't get the olympics and never will and won't be watching any of it

We've got old folks in this country, some of whom who fought for this country who are on the poverty line and having to sell
their possessions to keep afloat
Lets make things like that a national issue and do something about it....

[Edited on 19/5/12 by perksy]

ed1max - 19/5/12 at 04:04 PM

With you all the way
A lager section of the Athletes will be on drugs and do we really care who throw a hammer or jump with a pole?
Another layer of bullshit to keep the ordinary people from seeing whats really going on.Ah thats better lol.

quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Just my 2p

But i think there's more important things to worry about than folks running around smiling
with a torch

Don't get the olympics and never will and won't be watching any of it

We've got old folks who fought for this country who are on the poverty line and having to sell
their possessions to keep afloat
Lets make things like that a national issue and do something about it....

Steve Hignett - 19/5/12 at 06:23 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by T66

Aye, but I'll have his crown in 2013!

You want a 'tache like this mate

JoelP - 21/5/12 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

He does come across well, my problem with him is his odd wife. She has an ego on a par with 100 Locosters.

A tenner says he is a Sir in 10 years ....?

I was going to suggest that, and since you have, i'll take you up on it! Doubt either of us will remember in 8 years though