Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on fitting scuttle
SteveWallace

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on fitting scuttle

I've worked out the rough layout of my wiring using a dummy scuttle made from scrap wood and I now need to move on to fitting the actual scuttle so that I can put the wiring in its final position and move on to the dash.

I know that I have to work backwards from the nose cone and bonnet to get the position of the scuttle just right, but I assume that I also need to allow for fitting some rubber edging between the bonnet and the scuttle as per the Luego manual. I would be grateful for advice on two questions

i) could someone point me in the direction of some rubber edging with the right profile;

ii) do I also put rubber edging between the nose cone and the bonnet.

Thanks in advance for the advice on what's probably a really simple question.

Steve

Dave Bailey

posted on 22/2/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think woollies do a P trim about 10 - 12mm wide that works for this. I used it both ends of the bonnet to have that factory finish :-) atached to the scuttle and the nose cone. One thing on my Velocity I had to move the scuttle back a bit from the position driven by the nose cone because it was a little too wide.

Dave B

wilkingj

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Also think about how it will affect the position of the wiper motor, and the angles of the wiper arms and blades.

Its not just about the windscreen only.
Make sure the position suits all the other factors as well. As the correct functioning of the wipers clearing the screen will by an ongoing MoT issue.
ie you want it to all work properly.

Now... that reminds me. I must fit my Windscreen one day... Its been on the bench (all wrapped in cardboard) for 6+ years!

[Edited on 22/2/2012 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
saigonij

posted on 23/2/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
also, think about how you will need to get the schuttle off again if you need to?
On mine, i brought a large number of 10 / 20 way connectors so that when needed, i could unplug it all and just lift the schuttle off.

wz1musik

posted on 23/2/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
i slotted the mountings on my scuttle so i had about 10mm of adjustment forward or backwards if needed so could get a snug fit then used over sized nuts onto the locator bolts to hold in place and additional self tappers once all in the right position.

Kind Regards

Wesley

NeilP

posted on 25/2/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I didn't use edge trim as the quality of the gel coat on mine was good enough to go for a simple panel line (as per modern cars). I used closed cell foam on the underside on the bonnet where it laps the recesses in the scuttle and the nose cone and I loose fitted all three parts (the wonders of duct tape and g-clamps) to get the alignment right. On the older Luego chassis the left side and the right side were out by about 1/2 inch so if you started at the scuttle and worked forwards the nose wouldn't fit. Took a fair bit of jiggling so I'd go for a measure three times approach!

As has been suggested above - go for slots and big washers to give yourself adjustment room.

Cheers, Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.