Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broadband
Greenie

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Broadband

Hi everyone,

thinking changing my Broadband Package, but not which is best, hence I thought this forum would be the ideal place to start.

I am currently with TALK TALK but the cost just going up, pay £28 a month, so all ideas and advise is welcome. Must be some better packages out there......

Kind regards Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with PlusNet - http://www.plus.net for internet and phone.

I've had very few complaints about their service.

ken555

posted on 26/4/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'm with PlusNet - http://www.plus.net for internet and phone.

I've had very few complaints about their service.

Another Plus.net user with a phone/net package.

Just moved house and the transfer has been seamless, unlike when we tried it with other isps in the past.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that if you are using Talk Talk's local loop, you'll have to include the cost of transferring your line back to BT for twelve months.

Then again, Talk Talk sucks the big one, so it's a worthwhile disadvantage in my opinion!!

I moved to Sky as we wanted the full TV and phone package, their service is properly unlimited which is good, although I'm in the middle of nowhere so I only get 1.5 Meg max despite their offer of up to '24 Meg'. still better than the 0.5 Meg I was getting on Talk Talk!

The main good point with Sky is that the speed is consistent and not 'shaped'. My sister virgin connection goes up to 40 meg, between 1am and 4am. The rest of the day she gets slower speed than I do!

britishtrident

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Plusnet very good.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SeaBass

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Was with Pipex who got crapper and crapper via Tiscali and Talk Talk.

Now with Plusnet - very good service and speed here.

JC

big_wasa

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
was with TT crap crap crap. Went to Bt and had great speed for 6 months, now down close to what TT was giving me
Wheels244

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Another one for Plusnet

Just be aware though they've got a strange concept - when you ring their helpline
you speak to someone who is English - in England AND they resolve your problem !
Better still they're based in Yorkshire, which as we all know is where God was born.

twybrow

posted on 26/4/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Another happy PlusNet customerhere. If you go for it, let one of us 'refer' you... Both parties get a Brucey bonus...
wicket

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yet another happy Plusnet phone/net customer
StevenB

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I am with Totalise who are now part of Madasafish
and the service is alright.

The only issue I ever had was when the service got slower and slower
getting about 1Mb when my brother around the corner on BT
was getting 4.5meg.

They explained - eventually - that I still had the
"up to 2meg broadband" hardware at their end
even though all the marketing said "up to 8meg"

Massive strop on the phone and a few days later
connection was running at 3.8meg.

However after checking this on Plusnet I might
have to reconsider - they look like a good outfit.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_7=1&isp_77=1&isp_21=1&isp_22=1&isp_84=1&commit=Compare

s

T66

posted on 26/4/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid Orange - The thinnest of bootlaces providing a service comparable with aol dial up 2001.

[Edited on 26/4/12 by T66]

Confused but excited.

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greenie
Hi everyone,

thinking changing my Broadband Package, but not which is best, hence I thought this forum would be the ideal place to start.

I am currently with TALK TALK but the cost just going up, pay £28 a month, so all ideas and advise is welcome. Must be some better packages out there......

Kind regards Pete

TalkTalk have just quoted me £17.99/month. for 'anytime' land line calls, inc. 0845 & 0870 and broadband (g'teed min download speed of 4Mb) with a 40G/month download limit, including line rental. Wonder if that's why he never phoned me back to confirm?

How does this compare with the package that you have?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Blackbird Rush

posted on 26/4/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
We have just upgraded to BT's Fibre (FTTC) broadband via ZEN internet, gone from crappy 1mb to 40mb , also just had an email saying the speed will be going up to around 70MB in the next few weeks

Costs £30 per month but as i use the connection for work the cost is worth the reliability and speed.

Can also now watch HD BBC iplayer programs with no buffering!

splitrivet

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Plusnet is owned by BT although run as an an independant CO it is BT at the end of the day. If you go to to samknows.com go to uk broadband availability then exchange search type in your tel number you will see what providers have equipment in your local exchange. See what deals are being offered by them anything else will be via BT wholesale who can be a bit flaky.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 26/4/12 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Greenie

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all so much for this really helpful and useful advise.

It is very apparent from this feed-back that Plusnet are the favourite, funny how SKY never got a mention...... Cheers all yet again, I will be exploring the Plusnet option a little further......

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'll add to this. We were on tiscali and then talktalk. The service was fine until there was a problem. Then they lied, then lied again, then charged fees, then lied, then eventually refunded fees.
moved to Plusnet (get quidco or otherwise use their referral system to give somebody else money off each month) and they have been great. we even paid a bit extra to get fibre, but in all honesty for most browsing makes little difference (3went to 30 odd) Talktalk went mad offering very low prices, one bloke couldn't believe that I was not prepared to stay with them even if it was free. Eventually a very nice woman phoned me apologised for all the grief we had had, and hoped that at somepoint we would return. If only the rest of their customer service was as good (I explained that to her, doubt it will make any difference)

Rant over. Plusnet very good, easy to speak to on the phone despite that dodgy Yorkshire accent. They ought to get some elocution lessons

David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I can also endorse the PlusNet email support system (for times when you don't need an instant response) - they usually get back to you within 24 hours, often less than 12, and if you need to continue the correspondence then the subsequent emails get answered much quicker.

As for them being part of BT - it doesn't show. I used to get my phone service from BT, and cut the cost by half when I moved to PlusNet - for a better deal too!

[Edited on 27/4/12 by David Jenkins]

Slimy38

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greenie
Thank you all so much for this really helpful and useful advise.

It is very apparent from this feed-back that Plusnet are the favourite, funny how SKY never got a mention...... Cheers all yet again, I will be exploring the Plusnet option a little further......

I mentioned Sky...

BenB

posted on 27/4/12 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at Orange but bulked when I discovered that their "unlimited" broadband was actually limited by their "fair use" policy which doesn't actually define "fair use" but says if you're using too much they'll cut you off. Nice. Some people got cut-off when their usage was actually less than the Limited orange broadband service!

So I went with BE broadband and I have to say it's good. I had a slight issue with the first modem I was sent but since sorting that out it's been plane sailing.

And it's ADSL2+ so I get fast speeds over an overhead cable quite some way from the local exchange. Read 6.5 (approx) and that's been the same since I joined. No gradual downgrading to get your to upgrade or other shenanigans. That coupled to the bare minimum option via DirectSave telecom (uses the BT network just cheaper) as I don't actually ever use the phone for talking.

Peteff

posted on 27/4/12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
We've been with Talk talk for a couple of years now and have had good service and speed for the £21 a month it costs ( including free local calls and line rental) compared to £23 we were paying before for broadband alone and then calls and rental on top. I have not renewed the contract which they keep calling me up to do as the new offer does not include free local calls anytime, only after 6.00pm but I have kept all the benefits of the old contract. Just don't sign up for anything new and stay on a rolling monthly contract on your old deal and don't let them con you with three months at half price offers etc. The line rental is due to increase anyway but it is only by about 70p.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.