Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is a licence needed for weighing in metal?
corrado vr6

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is a licence needed for weighing in metal?

As title really, is a licence needed?

I only ask as a mate of mine said a licence is now needed, however I haven't heard anything about this, when they introduced the scheme of stopping cash and only putting money into an account or cheque there were radio adverts etc advertising it

Anyone heard anything?

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

madteg

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not yet
Benzine

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've weighed in some metal since the cash payments stopped, just the usual procedure of showing them some ID.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mortsi

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
think you have to register your vehiecle at your local scrappers and they take a copy of your liscence and the money will go straight into your bank account
Wadders

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
If your'e a business you should have a waste transfer license, costs about £150 for three years. Scrappy won't ask to see it, but if you get pulled in
By the council spot checkers and they find scrap or any other waste on board, you are liable to be fined.

No license needed by private individuals AFAIK

Al.

PSpirine

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
No license needed when I weighed in my Micra at the local (proper) scrapyard, but they want ID and will transfer money into a bank account only.

Before the rules changed they'd come pick the car up, and drop cash in an envelope.

nick205

posted on 7/1/14 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've weighed stuff in at Brian Hirst's on the A34/A303 without any problems recently. Have to have photo/address ID and paid into bank account.

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
My experiences are as above, photo id plus utility bill and I get cheques issued.
However, I went through a stage of regular visits, once a week or so, a while back when we bought a new house to return and stripped lots of stuff out, plus cleared a garage or two, plus other stuff.
The scrappy offered me a plastic Id card with just a barcode and their logo. Now that is all I need.
Cheques still only issued in my name.

steve m

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I weighed in a load of old scrap engines, and metal, got paid in cash, and never produced any ID
this was in oct last year, and a place in Three Bridges Crawley

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

richard thomas

posted on 7/1/14 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Had my car collected for scrap last month, cash on collection....think I had to show id, but cant really remember for sure...
Peteff

posted on 7/1/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
He's getting confused, you need a carrier's license and commercial insurance if you do it as a living but casual trips in the car or with a trailer are o.k. Ours takes registration details and pays by cheque.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

garyo

posted on 7/1/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mine too - car reg number taken, then paid by cash. If you're unloading out of the back of a shiny family runabout I don't really think they care too much.
matt_gsxr

posted on 7/1/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I took mine to a place that got prosecuted last year so these guys are now on the ball!

I had to register with them (photo ID, proof of address).
There is a digital signature recording thing to sign too.
They have to pay directly into my bank account.

A lot of effort for a £8 of car battery, but if it means that the lead doesn't get stolen from our school yet again then its a good thing.

bowood14

posted on 7/1/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/10/enacted

link to Scrap Dealers act 2013

owelly

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I turned up at my local scrappy and rolled a couple of old engines onto his scales. He paid me in cash and took no details.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 7/1/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I weighed in a load of old scrap engines, and metal,

Steve

Oh, that's a shame!

I always really liked your car!

James

[Edited on 7/1/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 7/1/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I weighed in a load of old scrap engines, and metal,

Steve

Oh, that's a shame!

I always really liked your car!

James

[Edited on 7/1/14 by James]

Thanks James

don't worry, my car is fine, but all those old xflows I manage to over rev,and blow up have gone to the metal gods now

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CompoSimmonite

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I took 3 car batteries to be weighed in the other day. I was asked for photo identification, which I don't have, and proof of address.
I refuse to have a photocard licence as my old paper is still valid to 2027. My passport expired last year and I have no intention of renewing as don't go on holidays nor intend leaving UK again.
Neither my expired passport nor my recent Blue Badge acceptable so unable to weigh in the batteries
Wife's passport expired so that just leaves 17 year old daughter with a valid one but she is a student and doesn't have acceptable proof of address like utility bill etc.
Whilst I agree 100% with the new rules it's also proved to be a PIA for me. No way will I let tatters have the batteries as they are worth £15 as scrap so now it's find a mate with the appropriate documents who will take them instead.

Paul h

[Edited on 11/1/14 by CompoSimmonite]

richard thomas

posted on 11/1/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CompoSimmonite
I took 3 car batteries to be weighed in the other day. I was asked for photo identification, which I don't have, and proof of address.
I refuse to have a photocard licence as my old paper is still valid to 2027. My passport expired last year and I have no intention of renewing as don't go on holidays nor intend leaving UK again.
Neither my expired passport nor my recent Blue Badge acceptable so unable to weigh in the batteries
Wife's passport expired so that just leaves 17 year old daughter with a valid one but she is a student and doesn't have acceptable proof of address like utility bill etc.
Whilst I agree 100% with the new rules it's also proved to be a PIA for me. No way will I let tatters have the batteries as they are worth £15 as scrap so now it's find a mate with the appropriate documents who will take them instead.

Paul h

Don't understand why an expired passport wasn't good enough....after all, it's still you.....?

steve m

posted on 11/1/14 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
My wifes expiered passport was fine for her state pension application, so it must still be a legal proof

steve

CompoSimmonite

posted on 11/1/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:
Originally posted by CompoSimmonite

Paul h

Don't understand why an expired passport wasn't good enough....after all, it's still you.....?

Back home I rang up and they confirmed it must be a current passport. I don't know why a Blue Badge isn't acceptable either - after all it has a photo and is acceptable to Police & traffic wardens for parking on yellow lines etc.
I'm just moaning

Paul H

blakep82

posted on 11/1/14 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
15 quid for a batery? hmmm... i've got an old one needs gone...

how much can you get for car shells now? say a 1995 3 series?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richard thomas

posted on 11/1/14 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
15 quid for a batery? hmmm... i've got an old one needs gone...

how much can you get for car shells now? say a 1995 3 series?

I got £170 for a whole mondeo.....3 weeks ago....and they collected.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.