Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R Poor performance at speed
Riggins

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R Poor performance at speed

No sooner have I introduced myself, I'm asking for help

As some background I've only just purchased a Tiger B6 with a ZX9R (E) engine. This is my 1st kit car and although I have some basic mechanical knowledge I have a lot to learn.

I took the car out for the 1st proper drive at the weekend and encountered a problem that I didn't notice on the test drive...

The car and engine performs fine throughout the rev range and when accelerating to high speed. However, when settling into a steady cruise of around 60+ mph after a couple of minute the engine starts to misfire/bog down.

I tried easing off the throttle and putting my foot down again but the problem continues. Changing gear makes no difference. Eventually the car lost virtually all power and I was forced to pull over - at which point the engine stalled.

I left it turned off for around 10 seconds, restarted and it was running perfectly again. Pulled away, everything fine.
Got back up to the same sort of speed, travelled for another couple of minutes and the same problem again. Stopped - this time engine was still running waited another 10 or seconds, blipped the throttle and all OK again.

I've tried looking using the search function for similar problems but I can't find an exact match.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can offer any help?

YQUSTA

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know what the problem is or how to fix it but there was another guy with the same problem

he put the fuel upto 8 psi on the regulator which seamed to fix the issue not sure if it should be that high though.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=89015

YQUSTA

simoto

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I too have much to learn but could be a choke/cold start enrichment prob or maybe coils/cdi breaking down with temperature.

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

worX

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Next time you take it out, take some tools out with you to do some investigating.

Next time it does it, whip out one of the plugs and see what the condition of them is - you prob already know this, but;

white = too lean
black = too rich
grey = correct ish fueling
wet = way too much fuel.

Now if they are wet (which is what I'd hope to see if I were you in that situation) then you will need to do some further investigations into your fueling. So let us (the foum) know...

ATB
Steve

JoelP

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
i had a pinto once do that, was overheating or running rich IIRC (4 years ago now).

Get it jetted again, i would suspect its been diy jetted in the past and maybe a little rich.

chokes a good suggestion too.

[Edited on 14/7/08 by JoelP]

progers

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is the fuel tank vented properly?
locoR1

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it could be a vacuum forming in the fuel tank! blocked or no breather next time it does it try taking the fuel filler cap off if it makes a sucking sound as you remove the cap you should be sorted!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Riggins

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info.

I know that a Dynojet kit was fitted in between the test drive and when I collected the car. My immediate suspicion was that perhaps this has not been set correctly or the wrong jets used.

It also has a Pipercross 'sausage' filter (sticking out the bonnet) and I wonder if perhaps at speed either too much air, or with the turbulence, not enough is getting to the cabs?

[Edited on 14/7/08 by Riggins]

jacko

posted on 14/7/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Try a u2u to roadruner on here he had similar problems with his car / engine
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 14/7/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt, it sounds like you have different problem to the one i had, it sounds to me that the fueling is all wrong, it could be as already said, jetting, fuel pressure or a vacuum on your tank, have you got a fuel pump fitted, i would try eliminating the problems one at a time.
Brad.

will121

posted on 14/7/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
another possibility that some kawasaki's suffered from is carbs icing up (sounds silly on summers day but happens) which sounds like the symptoms you mentioned which is made worse if not running the standard airbox, when you either stopped or let it tick over the ice formed in the venturi/jets melts and all is well again. some suggest fuel additives help but know dowt if others have experienced it they will advise or look on ZX9 web sites.
Wadders

posted on 14/7/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like either fuel starvation, or possibly running mega rich on part throttle.

I'd suspect the former, possibly a blocked tank breather or faulty pump, as already suggested

The main jets only affect fuelling at full throttle
the needles affect midrange fuelling

Its deffo not:
Carb iceing or the sausage filter, choke is manual, so unless its sticking, you can rule that out as well.

Al.

BenB

posted on 14/7/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest carb icing as well- I think the *at speed* is of interest here. If it was the state of tune it would more likely be when in a high rev band.
Try taking a drive but not shifting up into top and keep the same revs as you're doing when the incident happens. If it still happens it's to do with revs. If it doesn't happn carb icing is even more likely....

Wadders

posted on 14/7/08 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
No offence Ben, i know the weathers crap for July, but carb icing

Al.

Originally posted by BenB
I was going to suggest carb icing as well- I think the *at speed* is of interest here. If it was the state of tune it would more likely be when in a high rev band.
Try taking a drive but not shifting up into top and keep the same revs as you're doing when the incident happens. If it still happens it's to do with revs. If it doesn't happn carb icing is even more likely....

mackei23b

posted on 15/7/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add to the debate, (though it does say that E engines did not seam to suffer from carb icing, assuming the heater circuit is plumbed in):

That said, I'd check the fuel supply issues first as mentioned and rule out first.

http://www.visordown.com/articles/view/used_review_kawasaki_zx9r_(b1__f2p)/4316.html

Riggins

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback

It already feels like a great forum where people know what they are talking about and are happy to help and offer advice. Much better than some forums I have used with previous cars!

Looks like I've got a few things to work through. I'll let you know how I get on - probably not going to be able to do anything until the weekend though.

cossiebri

posted on 15/7/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I suffered carb icing on my zx9 locost,it was early one morning(around 1:30am)even though it was the middle of Aug still bloomin cold, just used to give it a bootful to clear it (me mates thought i kept wanting to race )

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

keith

posted on 15/7/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
this sounds to obvious have you checked the fuel filter by the fuel pump

"aw right our kid"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.