Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis question
rebel

posted on 16/9/02 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis question

is there a need for the chassis member R which runs from Q and joins up to T. i think it is there to stiffen up the pedal box area.
but is it really needed

Are you sure that goes there?

semi42

posted on 16/9/02 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Its there to stiffen the engine bay area ,and reduce twisting of the chassis due to the torque of the engine, note the torque stiffener on the opposite sie at the rear (z).I'd recommend you install them.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cymtriks

posted on 16/9/02 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it is needed. Tube R is the only diagonal across the top of the engine bay and accounts for, I would estimate, about 10 to 20% of the chassis stiffness. If possible you would do well to double up tube R by having one on each side of the frame (check engine clearance first). You might be interested in reading one of my earlier postings regarding advice on chassis design where I state how to double the chassis stifness while reducing the weight and number of tubes. This is based on an analysis using the same software that mass manufacturers use but you will need to check that clearances between the chassis and other parts are still OK for your build if you use some of my mods.
jcduroc

posted on 17/9/02 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Which software is it by the way?

Joćo

cymtriks

posted on 18/9/02 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using NASTRAN. For the lowcost model I typed in the node and element pattern using the VI editor as it is relatively simple and is composed of plain shell and beam elements. My work involves a large ammount of manual, as opposed to automesh, construction of FE problems so this approach is perfectly normal for me. I'm applying the torsional load by using two vertical loads, one at each front spring mount while the constraints are simple single point constraints at the rear spring mounts, rear tunnel centre and front centre. My results are very similar to a colleagues analysis of a Westfield which was done entirely independently of my model. I've also had a look at some other kit cars and have found that my results generally agree well with the few quoted figures that I've found. One surprising thing is that a lot of spaceframes are worse for their weight than a basic ladder frame and that the same design mistakes are repeated again and again. The most common mistakes are inadequate triangulation or welded paneling of the front suspension region and of the engine bay. This applies equally well to midengined cars.
Simon

posted on 18/9/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps

When I visited Luego, they suggested (as my eventual power supply will be RV8) that R be replaced with two "R's" - one on each side, obviously not running from the front, but at very approx 45 deg from respective tunnel tubes to outer rails.

cymtriks - just as a matter of interest, Rover quote something like 27000 nm for the torsional strength of the Rover 75. I take it that's quite good (forgive phraseology - I'm not an engineer by trade, just think it would have been a more interesting path for me to take!!)

ATB

Simon

cymtriks

posted on 19/9/02 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
27000Nm, about 20000ftlbs, is high even for a modern large saloon like the 75. A good rule of thumb is that the torsional stiffness in ftlbs per degree should match the cars on the road weight in lbs for a road car with adequate abilities. That weight includes the driver, petrol, etc. For a sports car or racing car the stiffness figure should be twice or thrice the weight of the car. The 75 easily exceeds these guidelines which helps to explain why it gets good marks for its chassis in road tests and why MG are considering putting a 4.6 V8 in it.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.