Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: SSC Conversion Questions.
Big T

posted on 17/3/22 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
SSC Conversion Questions.

Hello All,

I have got a bit confused, doesn't take a lot to be fair, with some of the instructions in the conversion guide from Saturn. Concerningly its the first real change from the book chassis. I am pretty sure i have got this figured, however just wanted a little bit of clarification really.

The confusion is within the "RS" section of the guide, to quote the guide it says...

quote:

Construct RS1,2,3 as manual. Cut RS4 to RS9 as the amended lengths. RS10 remain the same. Assemble
RS4 to RS9 in the same format as instructed in the manual. The external separation between RS4 and RS5
is amended to 752mm from 627mm

Now when i go to the details in the back of the guide, the only amendments to the cut size appear to be RS6 RS8 & RS9 despite the paragraph quoted above. In addition to that, when i look at the detailed drawing with at the highlighted sections that are amended the sections RS4 to RS9 are amended, however i am taking a wild guess that this is because these parts are moved outwards from the centreline of the chassis but are not amended.

Am I right in thinking that RS4, RS5, RS7 & RS7a are cut at book dimensions and just spaced out with the only amendments being to RS6, RS8 & RS9?

I am fairly confident that logic is right and the quoted paragraph is a typo, but the i dont really want to be cutting a load of my chassis our because I've misread something.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Slimy38

posted on 18/3/22 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I would strongly recommend you treat the Saturn plans as only a guide, not as a proper instruction manual. I think you're right, even though they say RS4 to RS9 they are only referring to the three that actually change.

I found it's best to try and understand what they're aiming for, then double check the measurements against what you have. Definitely don't pre-cut the steel, just do each individual piece (or pair of pieces) as you go.

You're still very early on in the document by the looks of it, you're about to find some of the other measurements are also not quite right (or even completely missing!!). It does work eventually, but it is a bit of a step up from the step-by-step instructions in the Haynes manual.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.