Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Clearance
interestedparty

posted on 18/5/02 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Clearance

When designing a chassis one can measure components with reasonable accuracy, and design elements of the chassis around them. But some components move within the chassis when the car is being driven. Engines move forward under braking, axles can move laterally during cornering. The more vigorous the driving, the more the movement. How much free space should one allow, though? Naturally one would like to be generous but so often being generous in one area means restrictions in others.
In designing my chassis I am considering allowing 20mm between the rear tyres and the trailing arms and maybe 10mm all round the rotating components between gearbox and axle. Is this enough? How about the transmission tunnel for sideways movement and to the front and rear of the engine?
TIA, John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bob

posted on 18/5/02 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
John
If your worried about a tight fit have a look at the photo archive on locodudes pic of silly power.
And there is a shock absorber in there somewhere!!!!

interestedparty

posted on 18/5/02 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
That is well tight! Goodness knows what happens to the waste heat. Presumably the car runs out of road well before the ally panels start to melt.
BTW, in my post above, on the propshaft and drive flange I meant 10mm either side and quite a bit more above and below.
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bob

posted on 18/5/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
John
Cant help you much on the prop clearance as mines not on yet (MK indy).
It certainly looks more than 10mm at the sides though not much more.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/02 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
That is well tight! Goodness knows what happens to the waste heat. Presumably the car runs out of road well before the ally panels start to melt.
BTW, in my post above, on the propshaft and drive flange I meant 10mm either side and quite a bit more above and below.
John

If you are using a live rear axle, then you have to allow for the prop shaft to move up and down with it. If its a fixed diff, then i recon 10mm would be fine as its not going anywhere!

Regarding wheels - the car will tend to roll sideways in a corner, so you need some clearance to cope with that. On my car i gave it a generous 40mm. But im not using a live axle or the trail arms. I hav heard that these can run quite close to the tyre.

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.