Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Raw striker or GBS zero ?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

However it is fair to say that the RAW is way ahead of the likes off MK - MAC1 - MNR but is still left in the shade by Westfield and Caterham. And it is also fair to say that or rather ask How many have actually driven and know how good or bad the GBS actually is ?.

Just a slightly more balanced view.

Cheers Matt

Don't think any of us commented in a good or bad way on the Zero. I'm sure its perfectly good. I just gave my opinion on what i could, which I thought is what the OP wanted?

gazza1591

posted on 15/7/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
i had a chat to the people at raw today seem nice over the phone if off to have a look around next week.

one thing i do like is the factory is only 20 mins from mine so will able to get parts/advise etc very easy ?

scootz

posted on 15/7/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
What made you come down to those two particular choices?

It's Evolution Baby!

gazza1591

posted on 15/7/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
both i beleave i can build for under 10k, they both look very similar i think ? and both have good reports from what i have seen.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/7/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza1591
one thing i do like is the factory is only 20 mins from mine so will able to get parts/advise etc very easy ?

That is a major bonus - you would not believe how much that can make your life easier.

TimC

posted on 15/7/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
... and add 50%for a westie when compared to similar spec Striker.

I'm honestly not sure about that. At least with Mel, a Striker could get very expensive!

That said, I think the Striker is a very good car.

[Edited on 15/7/11 by TimC]

Dopdog

posted on 15/7/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see all the comments, i think the most important one has been said, it may not be a caterham or westfield but for your money i personally think its the best car for your money. I have put many a more expensive 7 type car to shame with mine
Striker all the way make yourself get in i say.

gazza1591

posted on 16/7/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
again thanks for all the replys i am going more towards the stricker the more info i find about it the better it sounds.

wish i could join the owners club i have registered 2 days ago and still not been activated :-(

anyone building a stricker at the moment ? and if you are do you have a build diary i could take a look at ?

Litemoth

posted on 16/7/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add...

I'm 6'2" and have no trouble with the fit in my Striker

gazza1591

posted on 16/7/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
dont suppose anyone knows where i can find the dimensions of the striker ?
Raw

posted on 20/7/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The RGB RAW cars that where run did not have a chassis that is available from RAW as they where highly modified by Tim Grey. And the RAW Fulcrum that was run by Garry Goodyear was a virtual home built chassis. The only strikers from RAW that have seen competition use IE the class within the 750Mc for the car as a one make class never took off due to every one who has driven the car moaning about how bad it handles. !!!
( Matt - "procomp" )

Just an FYI heads up.
As the manufacturer of the Striker chassis that Gary Goodyear used in his championship winning Fulcrum i can categorically state that it was a standard factory lowered chassis. I agree that Tim Grays chassis was indeed tinkered with after which time his results unfortunately became less competitive.
Standard lowered chassis were also used by Andy Charsley, Steven Ward, Mark Conroy, Guy Hussey and Gary Goodyear in his original class A winning car. Check out their results online.

So i think the statement quoted above somewhat misleading.

The one make series was introduced by the previous owners of Raw to try and provide a budget race series. The car was a standard road chassis, with a standard zetec engine and standard springs, shocks etc. This was so that the series could be a level playing field for all competitors as with the very successful Irish Stryker race series. As the uptake was not high for the race series, the factory car was hired to various drivers, who regularly qualified and finished in the top half of the grid of the 750 motor club kit car race series. There was no testing or driving time prior to the races the car entered. considering it was based on the road car we think it did quite well. We still have the car and it seems to pass many more on the circuit than your description makes out!

TimC

posted on 20/7/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raw
I agree that Tim Grays chassis was indeed tinkered with after which time his results unfortunately became less competitive.

This isn't my fight, but that is a ridiculous, laughable statement. If I may draw your attention to the 2008 and 2009 RGB Championship Tables, I think you'll find that they speak for themselves.

alfas

posted on 23/7/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
some background info about the Zero:

the company offering the zero was RobinHood in the past. so everything should be clear now?

anyway. the zero, other than the robin´s, are comming with a spaceframe chassis and a typical sevenesque suspension design, which is a big upgrade.

but ask yourselves why the kit is so cheap?

Yazza54

posted on 23/7/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
New gbs cars look nicely made but I wouldn't class them as on a Par with a striker.

Then again I've seen some right shitters from all makes, a big part of it is the builder

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

femster87

posted on 23/7/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas

the company offering the zero was RobinHood in the past. so everything should be clear now?

anyway. the zero, other than the robin´s, are comming with a spaceframe chassis and a typical sevenesque suspension design, which is a big upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with the kit, am building one and it has been great fun. If you are worried about how well the cars perform, they would be racing at brands tomorow, few Zeros running.

Dopdog

posted on 23/7/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
there is only one option left for you.

Buy my car and never look back

franky

posted on 23/7/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
there is only one option left for you.

Buy my car and never look back

Your car does look awesome

Stott

posted on 23/7/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Just to add...

That's because you havent sat in it for years!

Sorry couldn't resist........

alfas

posted on 23/7/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:

There is nothing wrong with the kit, am building one and it has been great fun. If you are worried about how well the cars perform, they would be racing at brands tomorow, few Zeros running.

i´m sure robinhood made a big step in their development of the zero, but this has to be proved in the next years. (i always wonderded why they did produce those "strange" stainless monocoques in the past...nobody else has done that.)

even a zero might perform well on the track, this doesnt mean automatically that the kit is made of high quality:

road use, with mud, spray, salt, water will show how good the quality of the chassis and the parts in the kit is. (also i dont want to say that the powdercoating used by sylva was good in end 80ies beginning 90ies)...bit those times with their problems should have passed?

i personally dont know how "good " or "easy" the actual zero-kit is for a builder achieving a quality result,

but i must say (from my expirience): e.g.: westfield fisher or sylva kits have a very good basics, where even a less skilled builder will achieve a good result. the robin kits had been cheap, the buyers had been "cheap", the quality was "cheap" and it needed a lot of skills and a good workshop to get a good result finally. thats why most robins are so, so!

the zero i a differnt matter...but as i already said: it must show its"real" quality in the next years.

[Edited on 23/7/11 by alfas]

gazza1591

posted on 23/7/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replys.

well today iwent to visit raw i went out in the stiker it went really well and seemed to handle good.
but it was a bit tight to get in and not a lot of room to move, i dont think it would be very good after an hour or so.
so im going to visit GBS to view the zero next week.
was also looking at tiger r6/r10 anyone have any experience with these ?

thanks

alfas

posted on 23/7/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
if its your first kitcar or even your first seven, you might feel a bit uncomfortable or tight in such a car.

but keep in mind: those cars are supposed to be driven sportive, so a snug fit will help you to "feel" the car, its behaviour and the road.

snug fit does not mean "squeezed", but you should feel well "enclosed".

in mass production cars people are fitting bucket seats....but some kitcars "include" that bucket-feeling in their construction.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/7/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i´m sure robinhood made a big step in their development of the zero, but this has to be proved in the next years. (i always wonderded why they did produce those "strange" stainless monocoques in the past...nobody else has done that.)

Quantum did it too. I believe they are comparatively heavy compared to a typical spaceframe se7en

http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/showroom/xtreme/gallery/

gazza1591

posted on 24/7/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
if its your first kitcar or even your first seven, you might feel a bit uncomfortable or tight in such a car.

but keep in mind: those cars are supposed to be driven sportive, so a snug fit will help you to "feel" the car, its behaviour and the road.

snug fit does not mean "squeezed", but you should feel well "enclosed".

in mass production cars people are fitting bucket seats....but some kitcars "include" that bucket-feeling in their construction.

thanks for the reply i had a call today from raw and they have invited me back as the have a different seat set up which they said would suit me more and should give me more room, so im off there next week for a second trial

Litemoth

posted on 3/8/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Just to add...

That's because you havent sat in it for years!

Sorry couldn't resist........

I've just noticed your comment......Ooooh you cow!!

OK, from memory, the length is fine....the width may be more of an issue nowadays

Hammy360

posted on 11/4/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
zero

Nearly finished my zero and the build has been great. IMHO the zero is one of the closest to look like the real thing. that said thrre are loads of good seven kits and if i was starting my build now id be looking at a beemer donor like the Gkd
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.