Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What grade of steel to make a ladder chassis?
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
What grade of steel to make a ladder chassis?

A simple question really.

If you were to make up a ladder chassis like in this picture, what grade of steel plate would be best to use?

thanks Rescued attachment chassis for post.jpg
Rescued attachment chassis for post.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry - don't know the answer (nothing new there then!)... are you making a new chassis for the Falcon or making something new?
alistairolsen

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Id hav thought normal mild steel would be ok. frame rails for a 30s ford?

My Build Thread

blakep82

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
looks like 3mm?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
are you making a new chassis for the Falcon or making something new?

no the Falcons fine, though its chassis is very basic and not very convincing. I'm looking into building a larger family car like this along the same style as the Falcon just bigger - Rescued attachment 41131_Limousine.jpg
Rescued attachment 41131_Limousine.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 22/10/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Land Rover chassis is made from 3mm steel. Dont know the grade.
A LOT will depend on what you are doing with it, and the stress / strain, engine power, torque, how much cross bracing, etc etc.

Have a look at:
http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/company.asp

Std is 3mm, and heavy duty is 4 or 5mm!!

I had one of his chassis, and it was no problem at all.

Might be worth giving Iain at Designachassis a call. Nice bloke from memory.
I hope this is of use.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Land Rover chassis is made from 3mm steel. Dont know the grade.
A LOT will depend on what you are doing with it, and the stress / strain, engine power, torque, how much cross bracing, etc etc.

Have a look at:
http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/company.asp

Std is 3mm, and heavy duty is 4 or 5mm!!

I had one of his chassis, and it was no problem at all.

Might be worth giving Iain at Designachassis a call. Nice bloke from memory.
I hope this is of use.

Cheers At first I was looking at using an extended Range Rover chassis but there’s an number of problems, one is the front doesn’t taper sufficiently to meet the narrow radiator grill so the chassis rails would stick out under the wings and second the kick ups front and back are very small which they need to be on a Land Rover to get the ground clearance but would make a saloon car too tall. By the time I’d altered the chassis I might have well just made a new one that was correct from the start. I haven’t ruled out it having 4wd as I’d like that if possible

Though 3mm seems a good thickness for a road car. I was really wondering what the steel grade would be called, there’s so many.

Peteff

posted on 22/10/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Most of that there is the jig for carrying the two rails. The chassis itself doesn't look that substantial but it has a lot of rhs reinforcing inside it before it's boxed in. The sides of the rails look like they are cut from a big sheet so it's going to be an expensive project whatever it's made of.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kb58

posted on 22/10/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use 3mm 1020 plate. The strength is from the section height, not the material thickness itself.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
I'd use 3mm 1020 plate. The strength is from the section height, not the material thickness itself.

cheers

I think getting the parts laser or plasma cut is the cheapest way to do it, plus it should be very accurate

rallyingden

posted on 22/10/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Problem Solved MR Whippy

[img] mr W long
mr W long

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
ehem no thanks that looks hideous

I think? perhaps its just the low screen, certainly never thought of doing that...hmm

[Edited on 22/10/09 by Mr Whippy]

alistairolsen

posted on 22/10/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
no, that does look hideous, your first instincts were correct

My Build Thread

ettore bugatti

posted on 22/10/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mild steel (st37) should be all right.

You'd better off buying a Panther Royale

There is also a book written in the 70/80 about designing your own car. In this book the writer describes the process of designing and building a 4 seater torpeod (a la Panter Royale) with Jaguar XJ parts and a steel ladder frame transformed into a semi monocoque.
I cannot find the exact title.

Do you have any further details about this project (engine, gearbox, suspension, tyres?)

ettore bugatti

posted on 22/10/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
You really got me thinking.

Firstly, to get the proportions of the Bugatti Type 41 Park ward is very hard with modern (affordable) mechanicals. The wheels of the bug are 24"!
With 15 or 16" rims it is hard to match the proportions (and still have any usable interior space)

I would suggest to have a look a the sports saloons that were build in the late thirties.
The proportions of these cars are easier to capture.

So my plan would be (just a suggestion):
running gear: Ford Cortina/ Sierra/ BMW E30/36/ Triumph TR
This would enable to have a track around 1,4m (+/- 5%) and the final touch would be 205/70R15 tyres to get the correct wheel diameter.
These cars offers also plenty of engine choices.

The wheelbase should end around 290cm /- 5%).

For the chassis I would use 100x50x3mm section. The rear section should kick up 20cm and the front section would have 10cm step.

The body would be constructed from 25x25x1.5mm sections with 16swg steel plate (also used for the floor). Interior space would be around 2 metres long 120cm high and 135cm wide.

Perhaps put some integrated rollcage (50x2.5mm?) for safety.

The other dimensions are:
length: 4,5m
width: 1,7m
height: 1,45m

Sofar my 0.5 cents

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/10/09 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
SPAM!

Nice starting to develop further on (IMHO)

Off to bed! (Should be already two hours in it actually)

[Edited on 23/10/09 by ettore bugatti]

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/10/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers that was an interesting reply.

My current plans are slightly different from you. I was intending on using a ford 2.8 v6 petrol which I have a very low mileage example and a good gearbox for it too. To help keep the running cost down it was going to be converted to LPG, a kit is available for just this engine and would get me the equivalent of 40mpg & 150bhp. Body is to be made carved from blue foam laid up on either side with GRP and the whole thing will incase a 8 point roll cage that will also serve as the seatbelt mounts. Not sure about the axles right now, they may be van ones to get the width I need and the dropped front axle.

ettore bugatti

posted on 23/10/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
THe Royale replicas:
http://www.bugattirevue.com/revue2/replicas.htm
http://www.bugattirevue.com/revue34/garric.htm

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.