Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tube clamps
alistairolsen

posted on 8/12/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Tube clamps

Im looking for some tube clamps to hold some bushes as seen here:

(thanks to Bob Carter for the photograph)

The bushes are 33.8mm OD if my memory serves me correctly, and would originally have been press fit.

Anyone know where i can source suitable clamps?

Cheers

My Build Thread

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/09 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
you don't need anything more than a simple tube for the bushes rather than a clamp.

To press them in, you just use the long bolts to pull the bushes togeather which pulls them into the tubes at the same time, till they butt up against the diff. Sorted

[Edited on 8/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 8/12/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
That was my original intention, however i want to fit them, then remove them for painting the chassis, then refit them, I need them in to position the housing tubes, but not in for welding etc etc.

Id also have to bore it from scratch to be an interference fit at 33.8mm bore.

My Build Thread

blakep82

posted on 8/12/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
those look to me like a tube, sliced open, with 2 tabs welded on
not a brilliant photo though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
most of the modern builds use plates like this to hold the diff rather than the older idea of tubes, they may be suitable for you car also, with perhaps a bit of modification. Do make sure the half shafts are lying directly along the wheels axle when the car is under normal load for increased CV joint life & at £20 not a bad price - linky

[Edited on 8/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 8/12/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen the plates, and dont like them at all!

It's my belief that someone say similar plates holding the diff into the sierra and copied it, without accounting for the rubber subframe bushes. Bolting the diff directly to the chassis seems a pretty poor idea to me.

My Build Thread

graememk

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
thats split tube with normal nuts welded to them, not a very good idea to be honest.

ReMan

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

It's my belief that someone say similar plates holding the diff into the sierra and copied it, without accounting for the rubber subframe bushes. Bolting the diff directly to the chassis seems a pretty poor idea to me.

Poor? but proven by 99% of all the cvars that use a Siera diff, no?

Staple balls

posted on 8/12/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember someone on here has/had an MK with bar mounts, rather than the plates.

Apparently they weren't very good.

Edit: Thread here

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Further update:

I spoke to Martin Keenan this morning who told me that he only did 3 chassis like that as an experiment.

He replaced the mounts on his own chassis as they broke straight away - I guess Browny had another, so mine is probably now one of only 2 in existance!

He seems to think the bushes are peugeot 205 wishbones or something.

He feels that if reinforced then they might be ok.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to reinforce the brackets, I would be very grateful

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 8/12/09 by Staple balls]

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/09 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

Poor? but proven by 99% of all the cvars that use a Siera diff, no?

as above, the plates are by far the norm these days, the rubber mounts were simply to isolate the diff whine more when used in donor, in a 7 you'll barely notice over the engine and exhaust noise

My MK was one of the few with tube mounts and at the time of picking up the kit was told I'd probably be best welding flanges to the tubes as they'd already snapped

[Edited on 9/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

40inches

posted on 9/12/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
"as above, the plates are by far the norm these days, the rubber mounts were simply to isolate the diff whine more when used in donor, in a 7 you'll barely notice over the engine and exhaust noise

My MK was one of the few with tube mounts and at the time of picking up the kit was told I'd probably be best welding flanges to the tubes as they'd already snapped

[Edited on 9/12/09 by Mr Whippy]

That's just brilliant, I appear to have one of the three chassis then! One step forward,three back!

Tank mounting
Tank mounting

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.