Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: winter hack?
sdh2903

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
winter hack?

After a week of snow and with the month of snow we had to endure last winter I'm already peed off struggling with the tin top, 18" wheels and 235 wide tyres just dont cut it!

Ive been thinking about looking for a cheapish winter hack that could also double up for crap moving and towing duties.

Was thinking about a pickup something along the lines of a cheap hilux or l200 but not sure of their 4x4 capabilities in snow due to being light at the back end? Or something like a cheap short wheelbase shogun.

I'm not a fan of the whole landrover thing so that would be a nono. Any suggestions or input from fellow locosters?

tegwin

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I guess there are thousands of people up and down the country thinking exactly the same thing... so I suspect that finding anything "cheap" at the moment will be somewhat of a challenge.....

How about an evo8 or something like that... its 4wd.... and with some decent tyres could be amusing :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
i had a 2003 Nissan Navara. It was brilliant in all conditions. Low range got it out of most problems.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

sdh2903

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did realise when i had a quick scan on fleabay!

Although im quite happy to muddle through to the new year if needed in preparation for next year.

I'm away on a course for 8 weeks soon so wont be doing much driving anyhow.

speedyxjs

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to do the same thing this year (245 tyres on a 2 ton car) but just can afford it. I suppose your best bet would be a cheap fiesta or something from the friday-ad for £100 odd with a few months MOT then scrap it after.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

daniel mason

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i had an evo 8. that had 235 section tyres, and on the snow setting with the active diff it was excellent! although you still need to take care with 320 bhp under the right foot. lol

sdh2903

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
I was going to do the same thing this year (245 tyres on a 2 ton car) but just can afford it. I suppose your best bet would be a cheap fiesta or something from the friday-ad for £100 odd with a few months MOT then scrap it after.

must admit this also had crossed my mind however i would also like a general crap carrier and something to tow with aswell, mayaswell kill 3 birds with one stone and all that.

I did see a middle aged bloke in a very nice RB5 impreza this morn and he was having a whale of a time!!

rf900rush

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
What ever you get it will be down to the tyres.

I drive a C-Max with modern summer tyres. Which I abandoned 4 hours ago 4 miles from home.
Never driven worse in the snow.

On the other hand the wife has an Subuara Outback with the cheapest tyres I could buy, it's almost idiot proof.
and possibly better than my old Range Rover.
Well I did think fully idiot proof, but I have seen some very special idoit's today .

And after some searching, I think A set of small general Grabbers might fit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i've read somewhere that lada niva's are good!

Also I've always liked Jimmys - there is one for sale by me all offroad equiped for £400....so tempted!

JoelP

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
ive been considering this issue too, to get something in addition to the wifes jeep. I think a 4wd estate is a better option than an offroader, mainly for price and fuel economy. You really dont need difflocks etc for snow use.

Something like a non turbo impreza estate, as i saw one end for £700 on ebay the other day.

An alternative approach is something like an old fiesta diesel, which i found to be very capable many years ago, and also cheap if you do bend it.

Landrovers are far too expensive to count as a cheap hack!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

rf900rush

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Rimitar

1991 RANGE ROVER / SCIMITAR 4X4 UNFINISHED PROJECT on eBay (end time 04-Dec-10 14:12:34 GMT)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Also I've always liked Jimmys - there is one for sale by me all offroad equiped for £400....so tempted!

ive always fancied one of those to bust through the local parks and woods illegal i know but i do have a shaky relationship with the law at times

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coozer

posted on 30/11/10 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
My Shogun!

Its shown its best side this week, u can have it after the snow

I'm building a 4x4 for keeps

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sdh2903

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
What about a Rimitar

1991 RANGE ROVER / SCIMITAR 4X4 UNFINISHED PROJECT on eBay (end time 04-Dec-10 14:12:34 GMT)

I'm all for ingenuity but my god, why? just why

sdh2903

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
How much? details? is it a swb?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
My Shogun!

I'm building a 4x4 for keeps

Peteff

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've been out in the Kia Sportage today and in 4H it's gone everywhere with no problems.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

BenB

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'd just get a bog standard car and fit some good winter tyres... would probably be better than a big 4*4 with shonky tyres...
tomgregory2000

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I want the snow to be deep enough so i can put these back on my defender

they are 305 70 16

trextr7monkey

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter has a Jimny and it is pretty good in the snow- been using it this last couple of days as wife has borrowed my car, it is an early one with manual selectable 4WD hi and lo (or tractor mode as she calls it ) on the plus side it is fairly frugal - 1300 engine that revs, cheap to tax and handy in mud and snow and can be modified to kingdom come, the drive is reasonable if you are used to driving kit cars.
On downside it does have the air of a hair dresser about it, useless for towing, can catch the wind, backseats are for the pantomine dwarfs or very short journeys. They started galvanising the later bodies but rust is a bit of a problem as cars age. Useful web site is www.bigJimny.com which also has a shop whuch opens on a more regular basis than the one on here!
Ultimate solution of course is to do a Coozer and build your own- check his build pages!!
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

wilkingj

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
i've read somewhere that lada niva's are good!

Lada Niva are grossly underrated, their downfall is the low poered engine.

Put in a 2.2 isuzu Diesel and it transforms it into a brill all weather all terrain vehicle, and also the fuel consumption id better.

Yep deffinately underrated.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

bigrich

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
have to say i have been out in the bigest shed of a landrover discovery today, a total heap of a car but absolutely fantastic in these conditions, even on road tyres it was so good in the snow. very impressed

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Nash

posted on 30/11/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well I use this as my daily driver and it is the nuts.

Having said that it is currently awaiting a radiator and the delivery van is stuck in the snow D'oh. But I'm changing it because it was leaking a bit and the frost got it. My fault really as its been dripping for a while.

Now the good bit, I paid £800 for it 18 months ago and stuck the General Grabber boots on it which cost £90 a corner fitted. Passed its MOT three weeks ago no bother and in this weather (and last year) it was brilliant. We did a number of mercy missions for people in our street to the supermarket for provisions etc.

As you can tell I love it so I'm bias but go out and buy one. Even in the summer they are great. and I get 28+ to the gallon regardless of what I use it for.

.............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

kevmcdo

posted on 30/11/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a Nissan Pathfinder 2 weeks ago having traded in my BMW tourer, must have had a feeling in my water we were going to be having a bad winter!!!

Its got me to work and home everyday in total security, not quite a Discovery but having had a few of those in the past I think I have chosen well to to take a break from Landrover, discovered what better build quality looks like in a 4x4.......

myke pocock

posted on 30/11/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Are you after street cred or cheap? Suzuki X90 4WD?

1996/N Suzuki X-90 16v 4wd 2 Door Saloon PETROL MANUAL on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 10:23:02 GMT)

coozer

posted on 30/11/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
How much? details? is it a swb?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
My Shogun!

I'm building a 4x4 for keep

LWB.. £2800...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.