Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto to Replace 1300 x flow - Distributor
Monty2556

posted on 13/3/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto to Replace 1300 x flow - Distributor

I've been persuaded, through this forum, to ditch my existing 1300 x flow and replace it with either a 2.0 Pinto or a Zetec. I've already got a recon 2.0 Pinto so I might as well use that. I know that it's "opposite" to the X flow so I know the work that's needed there. It'll mate to my existing 4 speed box (for now - Type 9 soon) but can I use the existing 1300 x flow distributor. If not, what's involved in the rewire? Is there a better method of getting the spark to the plugs?
Dick Axtell

posted on 13/3/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
If I recall correctly, I have a spare Pinto dizzie stashed at the back of my garage. Any interest for you?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Not Anumber

posted on 13/3/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
You can either

A. Install a Pinto distributor and module ( oddly I have one for sale with coil + leads etc if you want to go this route) or

B. Go for a distriibutorless, programmable ignition like the Megajolt that uses the 'wasted spark' principal used on later cars.

I use the term 'distributorless' with caution though in relation to a pinto engine. Whilst a Kent/ Crossflow engine can run fine with just a blank plug in place of the dizzy the same cannot be done on a pinto. A pinto engine needs at least the bottom part of a distributor in place to drive the oil pump. Remove the distributor and there would be no oil flow.
if youy go distributorless on a pinto you would either just disconnect the distributor leads and leave it in place or chop down an old distributor so it looks neater but still runs the oil pump. ( Ive done the latter, hence i'm selling a complete distributor).

snapper

posted on 13/3/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
The Pinto requires at least the stub of the distributor if going fully electronic as the jack shaft drives the distributor and a hex shaft out of the bottom of the distributor drives the oil pump

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Monty2556

posted on 13/3/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies but I think I've misled you. I've already got a Pinto distributor which has a plug socket on the side. The existing 1300 xflow only has one lead going into the loom from the existing dizzy. How do I wire up the Pinto dizzy to the xflow loom?

Looked at the Megajoult option. Bit expensive for me at the moment.

Not Anumber

posted on 13/3/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
That would all depend on whether it has points or a sensor inside the dizzy.

If it has points then you can wire it up to the coil and condersor (and ballast resistor if appropriate) in the traditional way as you would with the Crossflow dizzy.

If it has a sensor then its a case of matching it up to the correct Ford module and then doing as above.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.