Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Saturn wishbones
geedle

posted on 4/2/23 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Saturn wishbones

Hi,

I've made up wishbones for my Haynes/Saturn build. The rear hub/wheel is very much on the wee - something is wrong.

Bottom Rear Wishbones
This suggests that the total length of the lower wishbones should be 395.8mm. In the Saturn book, no measurement is given for the jig plate. If you assume that it is the same size as the Haynes book, then that'll give a lower wishbone length of 415mm (465 - 50 for the two 25mm box sections). This is nearly at 20mm difference. Which one is right?

Upper Rear Wishbones
The plate size is given as 300mm, but nothing is build referencing the right hand end of that plate. I built mine to the spec shown in the link above.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, Geedle.

geedle

posted on 12/2/23 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
So I'm still struggling with the rear suspension measurements. I've got massive positive camber. I've broken down my measurements a little more to see if anyone has any insight as to where I've messed up.

Saturn Rear Suspension
Saturn Rear Suspension

Above I've added the missing measurements.

So for the top wishbones, from between the wheel mounting faces:

154 + 262.5 + 12 + 752 + 12 + 262.5 + 154 = 1609

And for the bottom:

112 + 395.8 + 12 + 471 + 12 + 395.8 + 112 = 1510.6

Giving a difference of 98.4, which would explain my camber issues. I guess that that value looks about right for my current camber.

Breaking down the measurements:

• 152 - my measurement from the rear hubs
  • 112 - my measurement from the rear hubs
  • 262.5 - from the diagram
  • 395.8 - from the diagram
  • 12 - measured gap between wishbone and RS7/RS7a
  • 752 - external separation of RS4 and RS5 as given in the Saturn book
  • 471 - from the diagram, unchanged from the Haynes book
  • 627 - it is a bit unclear what this is on the diagram. I think it is the measurement from the outer edge of RS4 and the centre of the hole for the diff mounts.

Much appreciated, Geedle.

Prof_Cook

posted on 12/2/23 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Upper wishbone mounts inter-rail dimension.

I assume the original measurements on the drawing are correct? and you have mirrored the measurements to the right hand side of the drawing and built the wishbones to those measurements? So I measured the dimension between the upper wishbone mounting points by "scaling" from the drawing which gives me 698mm for the inter-rail dimension between the upper wishbone mounts rather than 752mm.

Also (assuming the drawing is not distorted) and is being viewed from the rear of the frame, then when I hold a ruler up to your drawing on my screen, the upper right wishbone is shorter than the upper left wishbone.....which appears to be confirmed by measuring from the centre vertical datum which seems to show the upper right wishbone mounting point is further from the vertical datum than the left upper wishbone mounting point (which it would have to be if the upper right wishbone was shorter).

Hope you find the solution.

[Edited on 12/2/23 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 12/2/23 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Revised distance between upper wishbone mounts

Reverse calculating....

Assume required total measurement for top wishbones is 1511mm (rounded from your 1510.6) to be same as lower wishbones.

Top mounts separation = 1511 - (152+262.5+12+12+262.5+152) = 658mm remaining rather than 752mm which is a difference of 94mm

If the mounting face distance is 154 rather than 152 then revised calculation is 1511 - (154+262.5+12+12+262.5+154) which is 654mm rather than 752mm which is a difference of 98mm which could be coincidental as it appears to be the same as the number you are looking to have explained.

Prof_Cook

posted on 12/2/23 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The shorter upper right wishbone (from the drawing ) comes out at about 188mm rather than 262.5mm a difference of 74.5mm
geedle

posted on 13/2/23 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
The external separation of RS4 and RS5 is wider than the Haynes book because of the ears on the MX5 diff. The bush centres on the diff are exactly 600mm apart, but with the bushings the total width is 690mm. Add in the width of RS4 and RS5 (25mm + 25mm) gives 740mm. With a little room for flex in the bushes, 752mm, as given in the Saturn book rather seems like a sensible minimum.

The diagram came from here. The diagram is visibly different left to right in a way that is clearly not correct. Given the absence of any measurements on the right of the diagram, I used the ones of the left and mirrored to the other side as you say. This may have been a mistake. I am assuming that the two wishbones are supposed to to be the same. The frame is also different, but no mention of that is made anywhere else.

This suggests that the top wishbones should only be about 200mm.

Using 200mm in place of the 262.5, we get:

154 + 200 + 12 + 752 + 12 + 200 + 154 = 1484mm for the total upper width, which I guess is close enough to the lower measurement of 1511mm. That is 27mm difference, or 13.5 on each side. Is that close enough? Or even deliberate?

Thank you for talking this through with me - I'd hit a dead end with it.

Geedle.

Prof_Cook

posted on 13/2/23 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to be of any help. I'm in a slightly different boat with my "challenging project" to build a single seater. So your query was very illuminating and I will be using a similar process to get to wishbone dimensions once the frame and wishbone locating lugs are welded up. I'll be using threaded inserts at end of wishbones and ensuring there is a good depth of insert screwed in but still allow a few mm of movement to accommodate any minor error in my calculations.

[Edited on 13/2/23 by Prof_Cook]

Prof_Cook

posted on 13/2/23 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Another revised calculation

Assuming 752mm is your total top rail width then

1511 - (752+154+12+12+154) = total for 2 upper wishbones = 427mm

So each upper wishbone would be 427/2 or 213.5mm long to align with the bottom wishbones, but:

Assuming each upper wishbone is 13.5mm shorter at 200mm then you will have negative camber - which is good according to the below linked page: https://web.archive.org/web/20151210154450/http://www.240edge.com/performance/tuning-camber.html

I am designing for negative camber but degree still to be determined - which is another reason for using adjustable inserts on my (still to be made up!) wishbones.

geedle

posted on 18/2/23 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully I'll get back to it this week. I'll post back my findings!
Half Finished

posted on 3/5/23 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
Did you have any luck with this? I'm at this stage now too.
I'm starting to remake the drawing in your OP.

Half Finished

posted on 6/5/23 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've modified some CAD drawings now, I've just posted in my build thread.

Does this make sense at all?

Description
Description

CAD File

Prof_Cook

posted on 6/5/23 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi. Only got my phone with me at the moment, but looks good.

But can't see any negative camber (tyres at 90 degrees to frame verticals) so assume you have adjusters in the wishbones to "dial in" your desired camber?

[Edited on 6/5/23 by Prof_Cook]

Half Finished

posted on 6/5/23 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good point regarding camber! It looks like -0.5° camber is recommended for the rear and that's pretty close to the stock MX5.
Keeping the same track width, the axle width works out to 1515mm.
I also had the wrong ride height, so I've adjusted it to 130mm too.

Description
Description

Prof_Cook

posted on 7/5/23 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Obviously I don't know your thoughts and I am still to design my wishbones. I am thinking of -1.5 degrees camber (with car suspension at ride height ) for the rears although solely based on what I have seen here:
https://bofiracing.co.uk/blog/mazda-mx-5-wheel-alignment-specs-for-race-track-and-fast-road/

[Edited on 7/5/23 by Prof_Cook]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.