Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS VS LIVE AXLE!
mad_skillz

posted on 1/11/02 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
IRS VS LIVE AXLE!

What Is Better Live Axle or IRS? Compare features such as grip, price, and ease of construction. Thanks very much
Then i can decide what to make.

Macca

posted on 1/11/02 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
What about De-Dion, not even getting a mention?
Col

Stu16v

posted on 1/11/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Arrrp, De-dion. Gets my vote too, best of both worlds. Probably the hardest to make yourself accurately though.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

Jasper

posted on 1/11/02 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Live axle - better grip, cheaper and easier to build!

IRS - better choice of diffs, easy to get Sierra, move comfy ride...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/11/02 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
having done my own irs suspension i can tell you that using a live axle would have saved masses of time!

atb

steve

cymtriks

posted on 1/11/02 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
A live axle is the easiest, simplest and cheapest. The book dscribes a five link setup but a four link with two upper links as in the book and two lower links angled inwards from the outer ends of the axle to mounts on the back of the transmission tunnel would be simpler, cheaper, lighter and just as capable.

In theory the advantages of independent suspension get smaller compared to Deon as a car gets lighter. The Strathcarron and Caterham cars use Deon.

I would suggest that a decent Deon and four link layout would be best for a Seven type car.

dougal

posted on 2/11/02 at 01:32 AM Reply With Quote
yep a de-dion with a satchell linkage wins my vote and is what i am using
locodude

posted on 2/11/02 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I presume a satchell linkage is like a watts linkage or am I getting mixed up? Taking the place and doing a better job than a panhard rod. My car has the 5 link rear end and I've never had a car that responds to steering input like this one does. Get out of shape and a little bit of opposite lock and all's well. Get's my vote!
Just as an aside many think that a live axle is the heaviest of the three. Nope, it's usually the lightest. it's just that it's a lot of unsprung weight bcause the weight of the diff is carried by the axle, not so with IRS or de-dion.

[Edited on 2/11/02 by locodude]

lupus

posted on 3/11/02 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Any one that can explain/compare the the satchell linkage Vs a watts linkage

I am buliding a de-dion with some thing i use to call an inverted watt link .
Is this the same as satchell !

lupus

cymtriks

posted on 3/11/02 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
A satchell link consists of two upper links parallel to the car centre line (like the four trailing tubes of the lowcost book) and two lower angled links. The angled links normally run from the ends of the live axle or Deon tube forwards and inwards, at about 45 degrees to the centre line, to mounts at or near the rear of the transmission tunnel. This is the least number of links that can be used without making one link an A frame as on a Caterham. The Satchell link can give good handling, as on the Strathcarron, and can handle big power, as on many US live axle race cars. I can't see any reason why a five link would be preferable unless you own shares in a bushing or rod end company. A Watts linkage seems more complex for no obvious benefit.
interestedparty

posted on 4/11/02 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cymtriks
I can't see any reason why a five link would be preferable unless you own shares in a bushing or rod end company.

One reason might be more precise location. It is, after all, the wheels that we are trying to locate, and a 5 link means that the bushes are much closer to the wheel than the set up described above, where necessarily two of the bushes are some distance from the wheels.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

James

posted on 4/11/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would hate to loose that backend breaking away though in the wet, especially when traffic is coming toward you, ask James from the other day at box hill!
That was one of the best things about it- front of the Hicost in our lane and the back heading towards the oncoming traffic! Can you imagine the look on their faces:

I've gone IRS because it seemed a good idea at the time. The chassis is done but I haven't done the wishbones yet. If I was doing another wide chassis then I might do it again as it'd be easy a second time. but whether I'd have done it in the first place knowing what I know now is another matter all together!!!

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.