Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Estate???
Jasper

posted on 18/4/02 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Estate???

Are there any reasons not to use a Sierra Estate as the donor vehicle?? Don't intend to use the engine/box as will use a bike engine. Do cars with power steering cause problems???
JohnFol

posted on 18/4/02 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
They don't cause problems, however they are more complex, add weight, take power from the engine, add time to build and are more expensive to maintain (ok not by much).
On a car like this, why do you need it? Power steering takes away some of the feel. Look at the Elise and similar . .

Not sure I can comment on the Sierra as a donor. If you are not using box or engine, which bits are you going to use? prop?

Jasper

posted on 18/4/02 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to use power steering - but if my donor has it can I just use the steering system without it? Or do I need to make sure my donor doesn't have it..

As for the donor, I'll use diff and rear axles, front steering, hubs, brakes etc.

interestedparty

posted on 18/4/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Probably only need to change the rack, I can't imagine Ford would have had two different front end geometeries just for PAS. Have to change the rack 'cos heavy resistance to turning wheel on PAS car without the PAS pump running. The steering ratio is usually higher on PAS cars BTW, might be worth checking on how many turns lock to lock needed on PAS and standard versions before you bin the PAS
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

ewanspence

posted on 19/4/02 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I used the estate, (ok so it was a 4x4) but the steering column is the same but I dumped the ABS and power steering. Used the parts from a standard Sierra. All parts fitted fine.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.