Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting metal
JohnFol

posted on 8/5/02 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting metal

I had an idea on how to cut metal accuratly and with little effort.
I aim to buy a chop saw (circular saw mounted like a mitre saw) so I can set the angles correctly and then use a metal cutting disk. What I can't find is anyone who can supply anything but wood cutting disk. Seems a reasonable thing to do .. .

David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/02 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you're looking for a metal cutting saw blade, then it probably won't work in a wood-cutting mitre saw - it will spin much too fast. If you ever go to a metal suppliers, have a look at their chop saw; you will see that the blade runs at 60 - 100 rpm (and usually has coolant running over the cut).

Many builders have used one of those gadgets that holds an angle-grinder in a similar frame. Quick and accurate enough, but I didn't fancy grinding dust over all my workshop tools (I used a hacksaw). Machine Mart sell these things.

cheers,

David

JohnFol

posted on 8/5/02 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
You cut it with a hack saw ?

Most impressed.

UncleFista

posted on 8/5/02 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I cut all the steel for my chassis with a hacksaw, suprisingly easy and accurate as you like (or can be bothered )
David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/02 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
You cut it with a hack saw ?

Most impressed.

It's really not too hard, if you do each piece as you need it. You need a few things:

1. A really good hacksaw frame (not a B&Q jobbie). Get it from a real tool shop where real metalworkers buy their tools!
2. Good-quality hacksaw blades (bi-metal are favourite - cut well but not too brittle). Change the blade as soon as it's knackered.
3. Good stance and a relaxed attitude - a comfortable swing and about 1 cutting stroke per second (quite slow). Don't push down too hard, let the blade do the work. If both you and the metal are getting hot, you're over-doing it!
4. Clear marking out so you can see where you're going.

With practice you can cut near enough to the line so only a touch with the file is needed.

This suited my way of working - I've had a lot of practice - you may prefer the grinder mitre cutter!

David

ChrisW

posted on 8/5/02 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I built the majority of my frame with a hack saw - the worst bit is cutting the double angles.

However, I have now invested in one of those angle grinder holders though and it's much easier (and just as accurate). £70 from Screwfix including the grinder! Bargain.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnFol

posted on 8/5/02 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
David, you mention professional metal cutters run at about 100rpm. What speed do angle grinders run?
David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/02 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
About 20 - 30,000 rpm!

...but I wasn't talking about them...

I was talking about putting a metal saw blade in a chop saw designed for wood.

Don't think about putting an angle-grinder blade in a chop saw for wood - too slow, and far too dangerous due to lack of protective guards.

Angle grinders don't have much of a guard, but it's enough to make sure that bits of a broken blade fly away from the operator (too bad about the bloke at the bench next door).

David

phil

posted on 9/5/02 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
QVC sell some things called do-all discs and on their tv demmo's they have one in a power devil mitre saw just like mine. the discs are i think about £24.99 for 2 plus a benck clamp for a drill.On the demmo's it looks quite impressive but then they are trying to sell them. Have a look on the web site under diy. May get one myself soon just to try them. hope it helps>>>> phil
XenoDraken

posted on 5/6/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hehehe I have done it. I took a very small miter saw for wood and fitted a steel blade. it works fine, and when I got into something that needed to be removed from the frame it deached from the base with ease. I built a very straight 4x4 frame with this abortionated thing lol. I have since purchased a nice 4.5 inch horizontal band saw but hey ya work with what ya got right?

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.