Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbone help please
welshboy

posted on 9/1/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
wishbone help please

hi everyone could anyone tell me if the mesurements for the wishbones in the book are right before i start making them and if not could someone sort me out with the right ones please
DIY Si

posted on 9/1/07 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
The top bone is the "wrong" one. It doesn't give enough castor. You need to offset the top upright mounting by more. It's been covered recently I think, so a quick search should reveal the details which I can't remember. Although an offset of 22mm rings a bell.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

welshboy

posted on 9/1/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your reply i did have a quick look before posting question but ill have to have a better look! would anyone know where i could get plans if i was to use sierra uprights cos the bones have to be made different dont they ?
britishtrident

posted on 9/1/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Better to buy wishbones in rather than make them they are such a fiddle to make they least enjoyable job in the whole build.

If however do you decide to make them be aware apart from the caster issue the book jig design is inadequate and the book lower wishbone design is deeply flawed.

This subject has been discussed many many times if you do a search you should find pictures of improved wishbone designs as supplied by the most respected names in the Locost parts world.

welshboy

posted on 9/1/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks im quite new to this so ill try to have a look thanks again and i dont know much about wishbones
DIY Si

posted on 9/1/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
May well be best to buy some then. As said, getting them right can be a PITA. They aren't overly expensive so if you're not sure, why trust your life to some you've made? I reckon I could make a set, but as for getting them accurate and equal? That may well be another thing.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/1/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful which ones you buy (if you feel you have to), as some are awful in design and manufacture. 22mm is the correct setback for 5°30' (which I used, but this can be considered an absolute minimum) on Cortina knuckles. Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG
Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 9/1/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Too late for you now but

the easiest way is to make the wishbones to the book dimension but lean the front assembly back by an extra inch and adjust the fu tubes to fit in.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

welshboy

posted on 10/1/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for the pic and thanks everyone for your help

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.