Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting the diff
john_s

posted on 19/5/02 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting the diff

Hi all,

My chassis build is coming along nicely. I'm using a sierra donor, and am going to do double wishbone rear suspension.

I'm just wondering about mounting the diff... do i mount it straight to the chassis (which looks like it's going to be really straightforward to do), or isolate it using rubber mounting bushes?

Will mounting it direct to the chassis mean too much noise / vibration is transmitted to the chassis?

I'd be interested to hear how other are doing / have done it.

It would also be interesting to know how MK mounts the diff on his Indy.

Many Thanks.

John.

--
John Singleton

bob

posted on 19/5/02 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hello john

My MK Indy diff bolts straight on with no bushes.
Two bolts in the top either side,where there was one on the donor plus the original donor bolt straight through the bottom.
I had wondered about vibration,but it will be a wait and see thing(end of the summer i hope)
I think the earlier chassis was bushed though.

Liam

posted on 19/5/02 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
That's something I wondered about for quite a while. I found that some chassis have them rubber mounted and some have them solid mounted, with no major discernable difference between the two having ridden in both. Chassis with rubber mounted diffs have pretty much no movement whatsoever and are for all intents and purposes solid mounted (compared to a production car)

One funny thing i found was that the Dax Rush Quadra has a rubber mounted rear diff and solid front diff.

I have decided that I want everything solid in my car to have the maximum communication between the car and myself - no slop. That includes solid diffs front and rear and a solid bushed steering rack. My engine/gearbox however will be on hard rubber bushes - not to allow any movement, but simply to soak up some vibration - it is a 2.7 litre. Rubber mounting the transmission is just a production car thing to increase the ride quality, the side effect of which is to numb the feedback. Not needed in a sports car IMHO.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/02 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have mounted my diff right to the chasis so im hoping that was the right thing to do!

My jag XJS I sold a couple years back had a rubber mounted diff. However, if tuned, the jag tends to rip the diff mounts. So that doesnt seem a good idea to mount with rubber unless you really have to!

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.