Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning a chassis
lsdweb

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning a chassis

I've just bought a second hand Westfield chassis which will need some minor repairs and mods (different diff etc.).

I want to strip it back to bare metal - what's the best way?

Wyn

BenB

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Powder coat can be dissolved by this special stuff from Frosts.

Paint is just paint stripper. Even a high powered water jet would suffice (without getting into the silicosis risks of sand blasting)....

Mole

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment 0670.jpg
Rescued attachment 0670.jpg

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
we charge £180 to blast a chassis using aluminium oxide for comparison(build a car for £250)

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

blakep82

posted on 6/10/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Even a high powered water jet would suffice (without getting into the silicosis risks of sand blasting)....

ooh, never thought of that one... you'd need to make sure the tubes (it they get wet inside, which preumably if its already built it will have some holes in it some where) were completely dry inside though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 6/10/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
I've just bought a second hand Westfield chassis which will need some minor repairs and mods (different diff etc.).

I want to strip it back to bare metal - what's the best way?

Wyn

Quickest way I found to strip powdercoat was to use an 80 grit flap disc in the grinder being careful not to press too hard. Wizzes it off without firing metal hair into your legs like the brushes. Lots of dust, so good mask required.

If cash were no object I'd get it blasted professionally by a reputable blasting company who wouldn't just chuck powdered bricks at it.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 6/10/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Do the mods them take it to CBS for a clean up and prep..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MakeEverything

posted on 12/10/08 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Quickest way I found to strip powdercoat was to use an 80 grit flap disc in the grinder being careful not to press too hard. Wizzes it off without firing metal hair into your legs like the brushes. Lots of dust, so good mask required.

If cash were no object I'd get it blasted professionally by a reputable blasting company who wouldn't just chuck powdered bricks at it.

I second that. Either that or nitromors and wire wool. youll have to wash it off, and it makes a bit of a mess. Rubber gloves, eye protection and a rubber apron are a must though! - As is keeping the kids out of the garage while you do it!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.