Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What bulkhead materials
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 28/10/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
What bulkhead materials

What does the bulkhead need to be made of? I can find no reference to it in the IVA. Of course I want one, but do I need to use 5mm steel plate or tissues paper?!

Of course, I want it to be safe, and will make it so, but what is the legal perspective?

EDIT: My engine is behind the driver, if that makes a difference, and of course the driver will still need protection from the elements up front.

[Edited on 28/10/08 by Jesus-Ninja]

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

John Bonnett

posted on 28/10/08 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Good Morning

I think most people fit an aluminium bulkhead rather than steel even though steel has a much higher melting point which would be an advantage in the event of an engine fire.

On my trials car which is mid-engined, I am using 16gauge (1.5mm) pure aluminium grade 1050A. 18 gauge (1.2mm) NS4 aluminium would probably have been better in resect of strength and stiffness but in my case, I needed to do a bit of forming and shaping so I took the easy way out!

I don't think there is a definitive answer and in the end, it's a question of personal choice.

atb

John

Phil.J

posted on 28/10/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second aluminium as the choice for bulkhead material, much more workable than steel (or tissue paper come to that!).
Jesus-Ninja

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J
I'd second aluminium as the choice for bulkhead material, much more workable than steel (or tissue paper come to that!).

LOL!

But is there any legal stance on it? Or is it one of those which is down to interpretation of the tester under "build quality", and provided you don't use tissue paper, you're probably OK?

Suspension geometry tool here >>> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81376

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.