Board logo

POR15 or power coated chassis: which is the Best?
MadMaxx - 29/1/15 at 10:50 AM

Hi to all,

I fully stripped down the chassis of my Fury and after strenghtening it I will need to paint it.

Which the best between POR15 and power coating?

I would say power coating, but with POR15 in the future I would have the chance to touch it up easy.

What's your opinion?

Maxx

[Edited on 29/1/15 by MadMaxx]

theconrodkid - 29/1/15 at 11:03 AM

por 15,i got a chassis painted with that stuff,took for ever with an angry grinder cleaning spots to weld to,if mr angry cant move it i doubt stones from the road will

theprisioner - 29/1/15 at 11:44 AM

Two pack version is brilliant. I have heard (don't know the truth myself) air drying version can go Green in UV exposed areas?

adithorp - 29/1/15 at 11:57 AM

Por15 I'd say. I'ts not the easiest thing to paint on but very tough once done. It can discolour with UV like said but on a Fury there's not a lot exposed to sunlight.

Powder-coating is great if done perfectly but the tubes need sand-blasting to give it a good surface to key to. Otherwise the weather will get underneath from and little crack. Then it flakes off in sheets; I've just had to clean a Por15 large areas of mine for that reason.

The other thing to consider is painting in a light colour, as that makes cracks easier to spot. Thats why a lot of race car chassis are light grey. Unfortunatly I don't think they do anything but black in Por15

CosKev3 - 29/1/15 at 12:24 PM

Rust Bullet Automotive is a better paint than por15, is silver too

David Jenkins - 29/1/15 at 12:29 PM

You can get POR15 in a few basic colours - I used silver on my rollbar.

motorcycle_mayhem - 29/1/15 at 01:06 PM

If it's a road car, you're sure you've finished with the welding (a mythical state) and everything else, then powdercoat it. Lovely finish, and if done properly, absolutely bulletproof.

If it's a race car, use paint. Almost anything will do. You will need to modify it and you will need to repair/weld it... frequently.

James - 29/1/15 at 05:02 PM

Thoroughly de-greased then 2 coats of red oxide primer followed by 2/3 coats of Homebase exterior gloss.

8.5 years later, many winter miles and now 6mths parked outside I still can't find any rust!

Cheap too!

Cheers,
James

rusty nuts - 29/1/15 at 05:16 PM

Another vote for POR15 ,I used Hardnose paint from Frosts as a topcoat 6 years ago after hand stripping the crap powder coating from my chassis . Easy to apply and sticks like so be careful what you get it on , followed by Hardnose with virtually no brush marks

dhutch - 29/1/15 at 07:10 PM

Both work very well if applied well, both can fail within a year if not....

Daniel

Andi - 29/1/15 at 07:49 PM

The POR15 base is uv sensitive but the top coats are not.

Andi

MadMaxx - 29/1/15 at 08:00 PM

The Fury will be used mainly on road with some track days.

After all the comments I'm thinking to use POR15 with a top coat non sensibile to UV.

Could be sprayed or it should be only brushed?

Andi - 29/1/15 at 08:34 PM

You can do either, but I have only brushed.

Andi

David Jenkins - 30/1/15 at 10:56 AM

POR15 brushes on very well - when you first put it on it looks awful, with brush marks everywhere, but as it dried all the marks get pulled in leaving a nice smooth finish.

Note that if you're going to paint over POR15 you'll have to take the shine off it using wet-and-dry, otherwise the top coat will just fall off later on (it's just the usual paint prep that you'd need with any paint system).

MadMaxx - 30/1/15 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
POR15 brushes on very well - when you first put it on it looks awful, with brush marks everywhere, but as it dried all the marks get pulled in leaving a nice smooth finish.

Note that if you're going to paint over POR15 you'll have to take the shine off it using wet-and-dry, otherwise the top coat will just fall off later on (it's just the usual paint prep that you'd need with any paint system).

Thanks for suggestions