Board logo

MK Reverse Box installed
dh2909 - 8/4/09 at 05:34 PM

Jst a few pics of what the reverse box mk provided me looks like when fitted...

mounts were welded on by MK

bitsilly - 8/4/09 at 05:42 PM

This is exactly what I was trying to suggest to a friend today.
Could you tell me what kind of motor that is please?
And how is the sprocket held on, is it just to be sandwiched?
What bits did MK sell? and how much?
Nice one!
Ed

dh2909 - 8/4/09 at 05:48 PM

the kit was £350, that was the motor and the sprocket, which jst has a rig to slot on the prop and diff is sandwiched between em...

seen as tho i live near to mk i took my car round and they welded me the mounts on for it in the price.

all i know is tht its some kind of started motor and made by bosh :S

but mk were telling me tht they now get a different smaller 1 tht is slightly cheaper.

[Edited on 8/4/09 by dh2909]

eznfrank - 8/4/09 at 05:53 PM

Does the prop need shortening to get it in??

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/4/09 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bitsilly
This is exactly what I was trying to suggest to a friend today.
Could you tell me what kind of motor that is please?
And how is the sprocket held on, is it just to be sandwiched?
What bits did MK sell? and how much?
Nice one!
Ed

My man who is in the know says the motor looks to be Renault or Volkswagen

zilspeed - 8/4/09 at 07:09 PM

£350 for a ring gear and a S/H starter motor ?......

Where do I sign up ?

Or

Draw one up on CAD, mail it to AndyW7DE and he sends you one back via the magic of the waterjet machine. Find a starter motor to suit.
Job done.

dh2909 - 8/4/09 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Does the prop need shortening to get it in??

i had mine modified by mk, and it is adjustable by like 3cm, but the sprocket is only like 3-4mm thick.

gingerprince - 9/4/09 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dh2909
all i know is tht its some kind of started motor and made by bosch :S

Silly man. That's a power drill in the picture

dh2909 - 9/4/09 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Originally posted by dh2909
all i know is tht its some kind of started motor and made by bosch :S

Silly man. That's a power drill in the picture

RobH - 10/4/09 at 06:14 PM

That's a really neat job

rb968 - 10/4/09 at 09:15 PM

Thanks for posting those. Have been trying to figure out how to do mine and that has really helped finally seeing one installed. There's not a lot of room and that shows me it can be done. How close to the tunnel sides is the ring gear when you put the panels on?

Rich

rb968 - 10/4/09 at 09:36 PM

How close to the starter does the prop get? Must be pretty tight? I see the floor is cut away to allow for the starter solenoid, are you going to cover it?

Rich

mistergrumpy - 10/4/09 at 10:19 PM

Floor doesn't look cut away to me?

rb968 - 10/4/09 at 11:55 PM

Bit easier to see in this photo.
Description
Description

I only noticed because I was struggling to see on mine how I could get the starter to fit above floor level and assumed I would have to cut away a section of the floor and make a bubble cover.

Rich

mistergrumpy - 11/4/09 at 08:38 AM

Oh aye yes. My drunken eyes deceived me.

peteday_uk@btinternet.com - 11/4/09 at 09:42 AM

Does anyone think it is possible to use a smaller starter motor so that you dont have to cut away at the floor?

Hellfire - 11/4/09 at 09:50 AM

It's mentioned earlier that MK now use a smaller/cheaper starter, so maybe no need to cut away the floor? Maybe worth giving them a call

Phil

Staple balls - 11/4/09 at 01:35 PM

I'm surprised they're not using wheelchair/coffin dodger scooter motors, I'd expect them to have plenty of power for shifting a bec for the IVA

mr henderson - 11/4/09 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
I'm surprised they're not using wheelchair/coffin dodger scooter motors, I'd expect them to have plenty of power for shifting a bec for the IVA

I expect it's the engagement mechanism that's particularly important, need a way of completely disconnecting the electric motor when going forwards, and that's easily available with a starter motor

John

[Edited on 11/4/09 by mr henderson]

dh2909 - 11/4/09 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Thanks for posting those. Have been trying to figure out how to do mine and that has really helped finally seeing one installed. There's not a lot of room and that shows me it can be done. How close to the tunnel sides is the ring gear when you put the panels on?

Rich

thats 1 of the problems iv noticed, the sprocket sticks out by 1-2mm on each side of the tunnel. so somehow i will have to space the panels off the tunnel, something i will look into when i come to it.

as for covering the solanoid with something i dont think this will be necessary as the sump drops closer to the floor.. unless ofcorse mr iva says that it must be covered...

also i belive mk have modified the motor itself in someway, as a friend of mine is buildng an indy and had to wait for his motor to be modified after they had got it in.
[Edited on 11/4/09 by dh2909]

[Edited on 11/4/09 by dh2909]

prawnabie - 11/4/09 at 05:33 PM

Gear reduction starter tend to have a seperate "flange" that you can rotate so that you can position the solenoid where you want - maybe this is the way forward?

YQUSTA - 12/4/09 at 07:37 AM

thats 1 of the problems iv noticed, the sprocket sticks out by 1-2mm on each side of the tunnel. so somehow i will have to space the panels off the tunnel, something i will look into when i come to it.

I do hope you are going to add some thick steel around the very fast spinning saw blade that is located by your backside.

this will mean even more spacing but better that than the other.

Why didn't they make the sprocket smaller very strange.

dh2909 - 12/4/09 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA

I do hope you are going to add some thick steel around the very fast spinning saw blade that is located by your backside.

this will mean even more spacing but better that than the other.

Why didn't they make the sprocket smaller very strange.

lol i dunno, would av made more sence, but with future indy's they say there gonna make transmission tunnel wider to acomodate it.

as for the spinning hack saw its right at the very back and located behind the seats! but some metal plating may not be a bad idea for a bit of reassurance

YQUSTA - 12/4/09 at 09:56 PM

I would if I were you and it's what Andy from AB Performance reccomended to me

neo2 - 16/6/10 at 07:33 PM

Very interesting thread this as i am about to embark on the very same modification on my indy GSXR...