Board logo

mk indy aeroscreen
evo.rocks - 1/12/09 at 10:52 PM

how do people rate these, are they effective in the job they are supposed to do or does anybody no of a better one that costs about the same (£78) and will fit straight on with no modifications to it???

stevec - 1/12/09 at 11:13 PM

Think chocolate teapot.
Got rid of mine and refitted my MAC1 fly screen.Steve

austin man - 2/12/09 at 12:31 AM

They do offer a slight improvement but not as much as a fly screen. they also allow a greater dash area to be made. I have modified an MK scuttle which has the aeroscreen and a flyscreen fitted. I believe its a unique modification

A1 - 2/12/09 at 12:52 AM

pics please!
doesnt the aeroscreen offer a fair aerodynamic bonus?

whitestu - 2/12/09 at 08:17 AM

Personally I think the chocolate teapot description applies to the Mac1 flyscreen as well. They look nice but don't do much. Mine's sitting on the shelf in my office so let me know if you want one.

I got rid of mine and fitted a Caterham full screen and some side screens which is great.

I don't think the aerodynmics are affected much - certainly not so as you would notice.

Stu

stevec - 2/12/09 at 09:20 AM

Agreed, full screen is probably the best of the three options.
How much work was it to fit all the wiper motor and other stuff?
Steve

austin man - 2/12/09 at 10:06 AM

Me and the brother in law also fitted a full screen to an Indy wipers and all, the buffeting was really bad, brother in law took the screen off within about 2 months. and reffitted the MAC 1 screen.

We have since made another screen to fit as the MAC 1 item doesn't appear to fit too well. it was also the smoked one and difficult to see through at night.

The effectiveness of any of the screens must also be taken in relation to the height at which you are sat ie the fibreglass shells are lower than the cobra type seats so more benefit will be felt from the Fibreglass seats, but vision may also be reduced

Bluemoon - 2/12/09 at 12:47 PM

^^^ if you fit a full screen you will also want side screens to stop the buffeting..

mookaloid - 2/12/09 at 01:51 PM

Having had a full screen with deflectors and a MAC#1 fly screen, I reckon the fly screen is the better choice.

The deflectors do reduce buffeting but there is still more than with the flyscreen. Worse in my opinion is when it rains you get just as much rain on the inside of the full screen as you do on the outside- which makes vision very difficult. Have you tried reaching your screen to wipe it when you have a full harness on?

You can see over the fly screen so no problem in the rain.

Cheers

Mark

evo.rocks - 2/12/09 at 03:00 PM

call me thick but what is a flyscreen, a picture would help if someone can post one up??? on the car???

Humbug - 2/12/09 at 06:49 PM

A flyscreen is a simple piece of almost upright polycarbonate/fibreglass/carbon fibre on top of the scuttle.

They seem to vary in size from about 3" to 6-8".

This is the one I used to have - a Mac#1 number with the folded end pieces. Rescued attachment car with screen.JPG
Rescued attachment car with screen.JPG

whitestu - 3/12/09 at 02:51 PM

quote:

The deflectors do reduce buffeting but there is still more than with the flyscreen. Worse in my opinion is when it rains you get just as much rain on the inside of the full screen as you do on the outside- which makes vision very difficult. Have you tried reaching your screen to wipe it when you have a full harness on?

I agree with part of that - I found the buffeting to be no worse on a full windscreen without side screens than with an aeroscreen, however when I got caught in a really bad rainstorm in the summer I ended up having to look past the screen to the side to see where I was going.

This was made extra entertaining by the fact that the spray off the front wheel was like some one was spraying me with a fire hose! It was raining a lot though with an inch or more of standing water on the M40.

Sidescreens make a huge difference and with them fitted the car is very comfy, and much warmer, even at motorway speeds.

I also suspect that with sidescreen I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the inside of the screen getting wet.

Stu