Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra xr4x4 donor?
ned

posted on 15/4/03 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra xr4x4 donor?

Sorry if this should be under the donor section but I want to build an indy and want to know if the xr4x4 can be used. Thought I'd ask here as you guys must know the indy better than general locost folks.
Are the uprights the same as 2 wheel drive sierra as it is four wheel drive? ie ok to exchange with MK!?
I want to use an xr4x4 as it has an lsd and disc brakes all round - has anyone done this or know of any necessary mods to fit rear discs?
I'm also going to use a vauxhall 2xe as I have a fair bit of experience of building/tuning them from mechanicing a car in nationalsupersports.(www.nationalsupoersports.com)
Anyone built/building a car with this engine? (I'll find out more about them as we blew up three recently!!)

Andrew.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 15/4/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes and no, the front uprights aren't really suitable since they have bigger struts and all the gubbins for driven front wheels. That's not to say it can't be done, just that it's far easier to find a sierra in a scrappy and get the uprights off that.

I believe MK makes uprights suitable for disc brakes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

With reagards to the engine, it's been discussed before, so see previous posts for details.

Kingr

ned

posted on 15/4/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Kingr

Don't suppose you'd know if the gearbox/prop is suitable aswell, I suppose this must be different too.
The only other models with rear discs are much later (j-k reg I think) and not in my local ads/scrappies yet!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 15/4/03 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox, again, not really suitable but probably still useable, it does involve welding up the centre diff though, and it's probably quite a bit heavier than a standard Type 9. I don't know whether either will mate to your engine though, so I'll leave it for others to fill in. The prop needs modifying anyway.

What I managed to do was find a sierra 4x4 being broken in a local paper, and buy the rear sub assy for £50 (I think I was quite lucky with this price). I then bought a complete, taxed MOT'd sierra for cheap, got it home and realised it was ABS and therefore discs all round. Don't need it of course, so I've got a complete disc rear end available if anyone wants it, £25 should do it.

So, that's what I'd reccomend, get any old sierra to plunder for bits other than the rear sub-assy, and get that off a 4x4 at a scrappy. If you get a whole sierra with discs but not LSD, you can always use that while you build the car up, and then it's an easy drop in upgrade to LSD when one becomes available.

ned

posted on 15/4/03 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
What does the disc rear end / sub ass. include (do you mean just the hubs/brakes/callipers or driveshafts/diff aswell.)

I'll probably have the bits for that price - my first purchase towards my car! (apart from my buildup of tools since my karting days!!)

ned

posted on 15/4/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
As it happens I'm down at my girlfriends Dad's near Yeovil at the weekend aswell so could pop over if need be - save the postage!!
kingr

posted on 15/4/03 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
By rear sub assy I mean, diff, drive shafts, hubs, stub axles and calipers (and discs if you really want, but I don't know why you would !!).

Give me a U2U if you're still interested.

Kingr

Mix

posted on 16/4/03 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
The PTO for the FWD adds a lot to the width of the gearbox and also be aware that there are two types of rear drive shafts fitted to Sierras, I believe that the ones fitted to 4x4s have a larger diameter CVJs

Mick

DEAN C.

posted on 17/4/03 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,I've used 4x4 rear end on my Indy and it's basically he same,no problems at all.
Just ask Martin for the disc type upright .
Front end and gearboxes just forget it! Apart from the steering column not much else is any use.
Dean..............

MK9R

posted on 18/4/03 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Dean, just fitted 4x4 rear no problem

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.