Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: can anyone help with mgb gt queries
Aboardman

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
can anyone help with mgb gt queries

I am finishing off a rebuild of a MGB GT (rubber bumper think year is around 1977)

In order to finish it and get fluids in the car i have 2 questions.

1) with the oil cooler bolted into place the connections for it face downwards, I have 2 hoses 1 with a sharp bend on it and 1 with a shallow bend both have straight ends on other side. which either way i offer the hoses up they seem too long, unless i am routing them wrong, can anyone advice on which hose goes where ie sharp bend to left and to block shallow bend to right and to oil filter, even better a photograpth to show the route as well.

2) rear brakes, i have the final connection to make to the rear axle i have a bracket to fix onto the battery box and into this is the copper pipe and the flexi pipe, and on the axle i have a tee piece to bolt on, there seems to be only 1 place to bolt this.
but this seems very close to the battery box connection, should the flexi pipe bend down,up or to the side, again if anyone can show me a picture.

thanks for your assistance in this matter, these are the 2 final bit required before i put fluids in the car and hopefully get it going.

tomorrow i fitting a complete new interior and the only question on this is

3) front quarter light how does it seal to the chrome strip ontop of the doors can anyone show me a picture as when i offer up the quarter light there is a gap but no rubber seal for it or am i missing something,

4) what glue to use to stick the carpets down.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I would not use glue to stick the carpets down but poppers or heavy duty velcro. You may need to remove them later especially if it’s a convertible. Woolies trim suppliers have the type of fittings for carpets

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had a MGB V8, the oil cooler had the hoses to the top, this is usual or the oil drains away when turned off and starves the engine on start up.
britishtrident

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I had a MGB V8, the oil cooler had the hoses to the top, this is usual or the oil drains away when turned off and starves the engine on start up.

Yep fittings to the top -- same as every MGB and every other production car with a cooler I have had --- helps bleed the air out.

britishtrident

posted on 4/5/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Tee's are only held on by one bolt the two solid pipes provide location.

Using copper for brakes pipes isn't something I would ever do I don't know why it is popular in classic car circles --- much better and safer to use proper Kunifer which is much stronger, stiffer, has much better fatigue resistance, more corrosion resistance, easy to work and cheap.

[Edited on 4/5/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Aboardman

posted on 4/5/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for replys.

I am sure i have the cooler on the right way round as the electric fan stops the cooler going infront of the radiator, also it would mean the captive nuts are on the wrong side.

I am only finishing off the car for someone and have no choice on the brake lines that where installed.

r1_pete

posted on 4/5/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Re the rear brake lines, there should be an angled bracket which bolts to the lug on the axle, the tee then bolts to that resulting in the flexi pipe outlet pointing upwards.

You can buy all the correct carpet fittings in a kit from MGOCSPares, you'l also get the seal for the quarter light from them too. Fast mail order and no rip off postage.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 4/5/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Yep fittings to the top -- same as every MGB and every other production car with a cooler I have had --- helps bleed the air out.

My donor had the oil cooler pipes exitin at the bottom

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mark chandler

posted on 4/5/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Jaguar oil cooler is below the pump so they can get away with this.
Aboardman

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys

think i have sorted the oil cooler problem, we have the wrong one, we have a cooler from a early model and the fixing plates are opposite the pipe connections thus the pipe connections are on the bottom. but we should have a later version where the fixing point and pipes are one the same side (ie the top)

the windows i have finished with a little black p trim and does look good,

the brakes i will figure out (after all i did build a tiger kit car)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.