Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK gear linkage
-matt

posted on 6/1/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
MK gear linkage

i had a look at fitting my MK gear linkage (the newer rod type) today, but laying it up against the car it seems way too long.

as with the lever in the correct place, the other end, ends up right at the front of the car, when the gear linkage goes to the the back of the engine right next to the prop.

as they took the engine details (2008 R1) i assumed it would be the correct size?

so do i just take it on a really long route? or do i need to get it shortened somehow?

cheers

eznfrank

posted on 7/1/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
With mine they just gave me a length of rod to cut to size and tap the end myself. You mean the rod with rosejointed ends?
-matt

posted on 7/1/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
well this is what the 2 ends look like:

i can't see how im going to be able to shorten that much, as the tube the rod goes into is crimped onto the purple shiefing?

unless im missing something?

chicade

posted on 7/1/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
its a cable type by the look of it, try to make your curves as smooth as possible to keep friction on the inners to a minimum also you may find that by the time you have routed the cable with nice smooth curves it will probably take up quite a lot of the length, obviously you will have a lot more cable to loose if your using paddle shift compared to gear lever, or speak to phil at mk if your really struggling he is really helpfull and may be able to supply a shorter cable if need be.

or check these out

TELEFLEX MORSE 33C THROTTLE GEAR CONTROL CABLE 1.75 MET on eBay (end time 04-Feb-11 08:33:37 GMT)
pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item4ceeb732ad

eznfrank

posted on 7/1/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, that makes a bit more sense, the older ones were an actual rod as opposed to a control cable. It does sound quite long from what you've said but as above once you've got some nice smooth curves in it, it might not be too bad
-matt

posted on 7/1/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, ive now found a route that i think should work well. Not perfect but will do the job.

One thing though, i take it it will change gear a lot easier once the engine is running?

40inches

posted on 7/1/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt
Cheers, ive now found a route that i think should work well. Not perfect but will do the job.

One thing though, i take it it will change gear a lot easier once the engine is running?

I could only change from neutral to first and back on my ZX9R, goes through the box easily when engine is running

ASH3

posted on 8/1/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Now theres a true kit car phrase
"Not perfect but will do the job"
Luv it

Mad Dave

posted on 10/1/11 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
When I built my ZX9 Indy I used a 4 foot cable. I routed it throught the scuttle to get a nice gentle curve

Description
Description

Description
Description

prawnabie

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Kwak engines have a "positive neutral finder" which means you can only go up into neutral from first gear if the engine isnt running. Some engines without this need a knack to find neutral, esp if the engine is hot.
Mad Dave

posted on 10/1/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Kwak engines have a "positive neutral finder" which means you can only go up into neutral from first gear if the engine isnt running

If I remember correctly, my ZX9 had some small ball bearings which shifted due to centrifugal force allowing the shift from 1st to 2nd gear. I split the gearbox and chucked them

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.