Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Polo radiator mounting and 'fan switch'?
Sven

posted on 25/1/11 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
VW Polo radiator mounting and 'fan switch'?

I have been staring at the radiator and how to mount it on my MK Indy R. Anyone got any pics of how you mounted your Polo radiator?

My radiator (as I'm sure they all do) have a good sized threaded hole in the top tank, which I presume is for a fan switch. Is this correct? If so, does anyone know if the same switch was used on other VW cars such as the Jetta or Golf. I'm in the US and the Polo wasn't sold here so I'm looking for a reasonable source for the fan switch.

Thanks!
-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

John Bonnett

posted on 25/1/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Sven, The thread for the thermo switch should be M22 x 1.5 and this is fairly standard I believe for most manufacturers, at least in Europe.

For mounting the radiator you may have a couple of plastic spigots protruding from the bottom corners of the radiator. Some Polo rads have this and others do not. If you have these you can use them for the lower mount by inserting them in electrical grommets. This works very well and gives a bit of cushioning for the mount. However, your rad may not have these as mine hadn't. However, on the vertical sides of the rad there are four holes in the plastic. These can be tapped nicely with an M6 thread and you can fabricate mounting brackets to pick up on them.

Hope this helps

John

Sven

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks John. Mine has vertical mounting plates along the sides, I haven't noticed the spigots but I'll look closer. Would you happen to have a photo or two you could post showing your mounts?

I'll have a dig around a breakers and see if I can see something similar for the fan switch. There's always boat loads of VWs and other stuff in there I can look at. I presume looking at cars from VAG (Audi, VW, etc.) will be my nest bet.

-Steve

britishtrident

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
FIAT among others used the same thread , the older FIATs used plain spade connectors.
RAYLEE29

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, just uploaded some pics of mine if they help

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

havent done pics like this before so hope it works
Ray
ooh theyve come out rather huge sorry have to go to work now so cant resize
sorry

[Edited on 25/1/11 by RAYLEE29]

John Bonnett

posted on 25/1/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Here are a few pictures. Both the radiators pictures are Polo but the larger one is that fitted to the 2 litre diesel and Seat Leon etc. On my set-up it works better than the 1 litre radiator that i was running. Neither radiator had the spigots that I mentioned but I believe some versions do.

The little bosses with the pre-drilled holes can be tapped to M6 and brackets fitted. That's what I've done at 7000 miles on all is fine.
[img] Two Polo rads
Two Polo rads
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

RAYLEE29

posted on 25/1/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Here are a few pictures. Both the radiators pictures are Polo but the larger one is that fitted to the 2 litre diesel and Seat Leon etc. On my set-up it works better than the 1 litre radiator that i was running. Neither radiator had the spigots that I mentioned but I believe some versions do.

[img] Two Polo rads
Two Polo rads
[/img]

Hmm the rad on the left is the same as mine and I can clearly see the spigot!
its below the bottom hose tail there will be one the same on the other side
they fit nicely into rubber grommets as in my pics above
Ray

John Bonnett

posted on 25/1/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, yes the one (on the right) I replaced did have the spigots but I didn't use them. The new radiator which is the one on the left didn't have them.
Sven

posted on 25/1/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, I decided to troll around the local wrecking yards looking for a fan switch and to plagiarize an idea someone sent.

-Steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.