Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay help (my fault)
corrado vr6

posted on 14/6/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay help (my fault)

Hi there, after peoples opinions as sometimes in some situations it is hard to tell if you right or wrong, as all you can see is your side.

Basically.... I offered to sell some items for my cousin on ebay, but some items werent clearly labelled as to what they were so one item ended up being advertised as something it wasnt, as soon as i noticed this i tried to edit my listing and change the title or description but it wouldnt let me im assuming it was because it already had a bid. So my next action was to contcat the highest bidder at the time and explain the situation and explained it would be fine if he wished to remove his bid due to my error!

however i never heard anything and someone else ended up winning the item, i recieved an email asking for a combined invoice (as he had bought 3 item in total all different) but i thought best to reply to explain the situation and to stress that if he didnt want to go through with the purchase of the said item that would be fine as it was a big error on my part! However all i recieved was a sarcastic reply saying yes it was my fault and not to balls up the invoice.

Ok i thought so i went ahead and sent an invoice totting up the amounts for the postage advertised in each auction to which i have had a reply saying that he will not be ripped off with the high postage especially on combined items, however in none of the auctions did i say i would do a deal for mutiple items especially when one item is 100m of cable which weighs quite a bit! So am i in the wrong for not doing a deal on the postage? The last thing i want is to amend the invoice and then find myself at the post office digging into my pocket to send the items.

As you can probably tell im new to ebay as far as selling things goes so im open to suggestions or opions good or bad as i stated at the start it is hard to tell if you are right or wrong sometimes without others perspective being pointed out, I do have a conscience and im not one for ripping people off hence why im on here writting this at 01:05 in the morning. any help much appriacted and any critisisms will be taken in the right way! Thanks Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

mookaloid

posted on 14/6/11 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would find out what the real postage cost for the items is and tell the buyer what that cost is. If he doesn't like it tell him that he can collect or source his own courier if he wants. tell him the size and weight of the parcel and invite him to tell you where you can post it cheaper. there should be no reason why you should have to subsidise the postage. if you are overcharging for the postage then really you should correct that.

I am assuming that he fully understands what he is buying after your misdescription?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

locogeoff

posted on 14/6/11 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Call me paranoid if you wish.

You are going to ship something that is not as advertised. The recipient will contact ebay, they will remove the funds from your account, you'll not see the item returned until hell freezes over. From what I gather the fact that you have already told him of the error will hold no water with ebay.

Stick to your guns on the combined postage, you may have to collect the various items from various places which is all included in the shipping costs, the postage is only one part of the overall shipping cost, as long as they are not unreasonable I think that scenario is OK especially as you've not stated combined postage deals are available.

Regards

Geoff

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/6/11 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
there is a moral here.
Don't sell other peoples stuff on ebay. I did once, similar outcome. Not my fault, I just got all the grief

Ninehigh

posted on 14/6/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd be in doubt about posting the item, and just for his sarchastic response I would balls up the invoice by doing them all separately.

Now here's the thing, if the item "got lost in the post" then he doesn't get the item, kick off that it's not as described (just like you told him) and keep the money/item. What happens if an item doesn't turn up?

gavinpurvis

posted on 14/6/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Always send with a courier cheaper than royal mail and you get a tracking number. I recently had a case where my tracking number was incorrect the buyer knew this and claimed the money back through paypal even though they received the ite
. Got the money back in the end because I got the info I needed. Paypal only accept tracking numbers if you don't have one anyone could claim money back didn't realise it was so easy to get conned

corrado vr6

posted on 14/6/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for replying been to post office today and it will actually cost me £2 more to post the items than I invoiced for so at least I know I'm not being unreasonable I will now try a courier to see if there cheaper. If I feel I shouldnt send that item to save future problems how do I go about doing so, or what's the best way?
r1_pete

posted on 14/6/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Don't send it and give a partial refund if he's already paid, to cover its price, along with an explanation as to why.

Or revise your invoice to exclude it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 14/6/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
there is a moral here.
Don't sell other peoples stuff on ebay. I did once, similar outcome. Not my fault, I just got all the grief

Been there done it ONCE!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

speed4u

posted on 14/6/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
postage

Hi
I normally use parcel monkey or my hermes get the insurance if valuable which then means the reciever has to sign for it!!!
My hermes will try and deliver 3 times but only usable up to 15kg
Both will pick up from your door!! and both will be cheaper than dealing with parcel force direct!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.