Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Flexi routing with powerlites on Indy
indykid

posted on 17/11/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Flexi routing with powerlites on Indy

I've finally got round to fitting the powerlites I bought in the 2008 group buy to my 2005 Indy, but I'm not over enamoured with the flexi routing. I don't remember seeing anyone else mention it, I've done a search and found nothing, so I'd appreciate any comments.

I've made new flexis with 1/8NPT ends to M10 bulkhead fittings, but the flexi runs off the caliper then tight over the cycle wing stay. One side only rubs with some steering lock, but the other naturally wants to run through the stay. It's now run in spiwrap and cable tied securely to the wing stay to stop it rubbing, but just wondered if it was a typical issue or if I have some wing stays made at an extreme of tolerance? I presume it's ok for an MOT attached to the stay?

Being NPT, I can't use banjos or swept fittings, though long term, I'll probably tap the calipers out M10x1 for a cleaner finish or remake the wing stays when I change wheels. A swept banjo would be ideal, though I'm not desperately happy about using reworked threads on brakes. At least the threads with the major pitch error would be the smallest diameter though....

mark chandler

posted on 18/11/15 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
You need to put a twist into the flexi to keep it away from things, when you fasten the frame end just twist 30 degrees before fastening the lock nut to the body.

Also check the height where it's coming off the body, if it's stretching is it at the same height as the caliper end, this may give you a little more length if fastened at the top, also how far forward affects things as well.

Spiral and cable ties should never be needed if you get it right.

russbost

posted on 18/11/15 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming you have a male/male adapter to convert the NPT thread to m10? Can you not have a 90 degree bent female swivel attached to this which would then allow you to position the hose anywhere you want, much as a banjo, or would this protrude too far from the caliper & create problems with clearance?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 18/11/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm happy with general fitment of flexis Mark, I've got twist in them to keep them away from the wishbones on lock, but it's not physically possible to avoid the MK wing stays lock to lock, hence asking the question specifically of anyone with the same MK setup.

Russ, they're compression ends - I've had too many crimps slip, so no adaptors, just 1/8NPT straight onto 3/8" braided flexi. I suspect if I ran 1/8NPT to M10 male adaptor then M10 female bent swivel, I'd end up tight on the wing stay anyway and I'm not keen on the cantilever length of fittings or the number of superfluous joints.

Thanks both for your input though. I'll try get a pic tonight to explain the problem.

indykid

posted on 18/11/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Right, pictures. This is the side that would naturally sit through the tube. The other side sits slightly above, but would always end up touching the wing stay on left lock.

ETA - the spiwrap is some big stuff I had to hand, not the long term fix, though it would still be spiwrap, just smaller diameter.

[Edited on 18/11/15 by indykid]

russbost

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Without having actual dimensions it's impossible to be 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that if you used a male/male adapter & a 90 deg female bend (which would be exactly the same no. of connections if using swaged hose as you have a joint between the union on the end of your hose & then the join to the braided hose) the bend would come out behind the stay, you could then run the hose alongside the stay for as far as you want b4 bending away at a convenient point to run back to the chassis

If you stick with the existing arrangement I would suggest get rid of the spiral wrap which looks ugly & amateurish IMHO (not meaning to be rude, just my opinion) & replace with a neat section of suitable rubber hose which can be split & superglued over the hose at the point where it passes the stay, if you aren't happy with the security of superglue then add a couple of small neat cable ties for security. Manufacturers use a very similar method when they have a hose with a potential rub point

Edited to say that looking again at the pics, you could come straight off a male/male adapter with a female with just a 20 or 30 degree or so bend which you could orient to go straight past the stay

[Edited on 19/11/15 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 19/11/15 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with you on all the above Russ, aside from a swaged joint not being a joint

Having had a look at it last night, there would be space for a swept adaptor and it probably is the ideal solution, though I'd still favour a swept banjo over back to back adaptors. Split hose on the the flexi for the time being does sound like a tidier solution, though the smaller spiral wrap on it now looks a lot tidier than the big clear stuff.

I'd still really like to hear the experiences of someone with an Indy with these calipers though. I can't be the only one!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.