Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator position
dilley

posted on 1/1/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
radiator position

are there any advantages in mounting a radiator at a different angle other than vertical?can you increase air flow?

Andrew.

Humbug

posted on 1/1/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
allegedly it can actually be better to have a slight angle because more of the airflow hits the fins directly rather than rishing straight through. I don't think it would increase the actual flow, though. Something like this: Rescued attachment rad air flow.jpg
Rescued attachment rad air flow.jpg

RazMan

posted on 1/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently 20 degrees is the optimum angle for max cooling efficiency

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 1/1/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Slight angle works well... Presumably you'ld also want the fan at a slight angle to the radiator though for the same reasoning!!

I think if you're trying to wring the last drops of cooling out of a radiator setup ducting is more important.... and making sure there's a way out for the air post radiator- this is often overlooked, resulting in a super hot engine bay and poor air flow through the radiator with the open nose cone acting like a big air brake

dilley

posted on 1/1/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
good point chris
PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/1/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I always tend to look at what companys like caterham do,they spend thousands of pounds in developement for me
Looks about 20 degree's to me

dilley

posted on 1/1/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a nice bit of work in that picture, you do get what you pay for.

any progress with the turbo paul?

Will you be ready for a blat at York in the summer?

Andrew

PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/1/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes hopefully I will be at the MK York drag meet again this year,I sure Chris Mason is looking at getting another one sorted for this summer,last years meet was such a great day,one of the highlights of the year for me
martyn_16v

posted on 1/1/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
but!! if thats right why don't the manufacturers just make them with the fins at a 20degree angle to start with, all the cars i've ever owned have had the radiator vertical.

Packaging? A slightly oversized but vertically mounted rad will most likely take up less space than a 'correctly' sized rad mounted at an angle, particularly in compact cars where the aim often seems to be keeping the bonnet as short as possible to allow the cabin to be bigger.

How about having a rad where the fins aren't perpendicular to the body of the rad itself, but at an angle (i.e. so when the rad is mounted vertically the fins are 20deg off horizontal)? There's got to be a reason why these aren't manufactured, maybe adds too much cost, or you wouldn't be able to have as many fins per inch of rad height?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.