Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: top panels
jabbahutt

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
top panels

Morning

spent yesterday trying to secure top body panels.
As per the threads here, started with the scuttle and lined back edge with where the body panel angle changes.
Next put on nose cone and clamped bottom edge to front of the bottom chassis rail so the nose cone sat on evenly on top of the top chassis rail. Needed to fettle inside so wishbone bolts could pop inside bottom of nose cone.

Now the problem? popped the bonnet on and if it sits on the scuttle with a uniform gap of about 3-5mm which would be taken up with some rubber trim the rear lip of the nose cone which I expected to appear about the same has about 15-20mm showing which looks completely wrong.

I can't move the scuttle so am I missing something about fitting the nose cone? I take it that you should have the same gap between the front and rear edge of bonnet to it's corresponding panel on which it sits?

Sorry for the long winded description but I couldn't find any threads relating to this problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Bluemoon

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Any pics? Might help with replys?

Cheers

Dan

rayward

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
do you have your side panels fitted yet?.

if not the extra thickness may mean the scuttle needs to be moved forward, to line up with the edges?

Ray

[Edited on 16/4/07 by rayward]

jabbahutt

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I now starting to doubt i've understood the process for lining up the scuttle correctly.
I've clamped the panels in place and checked them, popped the scuttle on the top and lined up the rear bottom edge where the dash will attach with the line in the panel caused by the angle changing.
The battery tray (fibreglass) fits with the font curved lip practicaly touching the fire wall.
As previously mentioned nose cone clamped to bottom chassis rail so i can't see how that can moved any further back.

no photos available at this time as camera is on the blink though if it helps to picture the front of the scuttle is about 5mm past the chassis rail on both sides that runs straight across that the top angled trans tunnel rails conect to.

So for the long winded description just trying to provide as much info as possible without a camera.

Cheers

andyace

posted on 16/4/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I may be stating the obvious but when you lined up the dash side of the scuttle with the angle change on the panel did you also ensure that the angle change on the panel lined up with the angle change of the chassis.

I have a GTS chassis and this is what I needed to do. I am sure you must have otherwise the panel would not sit flush to the side of the chassis.

Sorry if I don't make sense however unless something is completely wrong, if the nose cone wont go any further back then the scuttle must need to go forwards and if this is aligned correctly with the panel then the panel also needs to move forwards.

mackei23b

posted on 16/4/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a pic of mine.

I lined up the scuttle with the leading edge of the chassis rail that runs across the way.

The nose cone sits on top of the fiberglass sides and tehrefor does not sit directly on the chassis rail. If I recall the bottom of the nose cone sits at the same level as the lower edge on the fron of the chassis.

I've attached a pic, though not sure how useful it is. The bonnet is just sitting on and wasn't fully lined up.

Cheers

Ian

graememk

posted on 16/4/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
your indy body pannels fit better than mine

jabbahutt

posted on 16/4/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
sorry fellas for being thick, reading through it sounds as if some of you have the scuttle sat directly onto the top chassis tube so have you cut bach the side panel top edges from under the scuttle?

The side panels are lined up with the car using things like the curved back edge etc as reference. the scuttle is on top of the side panel top edge (not directly onto the top rail) and lined up with the panel edge change not the chassis.

The scuttle needs flexing to ensure that the outside edge on the drivers side runs evenly with the side panel.

Thanks for the photo posted, see where the bonnet rests on the nose cone lip, the amount of visible nose cone lip on mine seems to be about twice whats in the photo approximately the width of my thumb 20mm or so.

I don't want to drill any more holes in panels/chassis until I sort out what's wrong as it'll be sods law I've fitted it incorrectly.

Thanks for the assistance it's much appreciated, just a bit frustrated I can't progress with the body panels.

mackei23b

posted on 16/4/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

My assembly:

Side panels were fixed first and sit flush with the top chassis rail, both vertically and horizontally (Note had to put a couple of notches in to get a neat fit around the bar that holds the steering wheel brackets). The side panels were also aligned so that the bottom of the rear arch section was flush with the arch on the chassis if that makes sense.

The scuttle was then placed on top of the side panels, I to had to bend the scuttle slightly so that the edges ran parallel with the side panels. Again the front of the scuttle was in line with the leading edge of the chassis rail. The bonnet and nose cone were then aligned against the scuttle to link all the pieces together.

Hope this helps

quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
sorry fellas for being thick, reading through it sounds as if some of you have the scuttle sat directly onto the top chassis tube so have you cut bach the side panel top edges from under the scuttle?

The side panels are lined up with the car using things like the curved back edge etc as reference. the scuttle is on top of the side panel top edge (not directly onto the top rail) and lined up with the panel edge change not the chassis.

The scuttle needs flexing to ensure that the outside edge on the drivers side runs evenly with the side panel.

Thanks for the photo posted, see where the bonnet rests on the nose cone lip, the amount of visible nose cone lip on mine seems to be about twice whats in the photo approximately the width of my thumb 20mm or so.

I don't want to drill any more holes in panels/chassis until I sort out what's wrong as it'll be sods law I've fitted it incorrectly.

Thanks for the assistance it's much appreciated, just a bit frustrated I can't progress with the body panels.

[Edited on 16/4/07 by mackei23b]

mackei23b

posted on 16/4/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
P.S. here is a pic of the rear as well for info on the side panels Rescued attachment Rear Section.JPG
Rescued attachment Rear Section.JPG

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.