Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Dimentions
locost7-online.com

posted on 2/3/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger Dimentions

Before I weld my chassis (tacked at mo) does the bodywork fit the book dimentions?

Locost Xflow 150bhp injected! Sold :-(

Facebook blog https://www.facebook.com/Johns-Tiger-Avon-Build-814223212056368/
PLEASE NOTE THIS MEMBER IS NOT A TRADER.

longlife

posted on 2/3/03 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you built the chassis to the Tiger book, you've no chance, if it on Ron Champ's you have. My step son Chris has bought kit Avon and the chassis has 10 various faults, can be overcome by bodging , but when you have spent £5350 on a kit you expect it to go together and not be crap. No qaulity control at Tiger?
Northy

posted on 3/3/03 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
What are the ten faults?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locost7-online.com

posted on 4/3/03 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, what are the 10 faults? Im ordering bodywork this week

longlife

posted on 4/3/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
1; holes misaligned in rear hub carrier/uprights. 2; front wishbones not drilled for balljiont, but still powder coated at additional cost. 3why have chassis powder coated to butcher it? 4 none of suspension pickup pionts on chassis in right place, all need 'easing' for wishbones to fit.5 diff brkts not aligned.6 drivers side of car different to passengers side. 7 rear wheel arches different sizes.8pedal box/ steering column supportsout when bent, cracks powder coating.9 various bits missing from 'comprehensive' kit plus more, BUT all can be Bodged, so no worries!
Northy

posted on 5/3/03 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, I thought I had a few problems

Just to reply:
1. Mine weren't.
2. Neitherwere mine, but they were not powder coated, so not a problem.
3. I didn't, Tigers powder coating is 'not great' so I didn't bother.
4. Mine needed washering up (poly bushes).
5. Mine were spot on.
6. In what way? It has to be to allow for the diff offset doesn't it?
7. Not sure, picking up on the 15th.
8. No powder coating, no problem.
9. Didn't buy the comprehensive kit as I thought I would trow most of it away anyway!

Don't want to p**s you off, just what happened to me

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 5/3/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Got to stick my oar in here, my chassis, the trans tunnel is wider at the top than at the bottom in some places and the drivers side is a different width to the passenger side (the diff offset should not affect this as only the diff nose realy intrudes into the tunnel and that should be central) the wishbone mounts are stated as being 40mm id in the book but on my chassis are 38mm id, it appears to me that whoever built the chassis hase not heard of a square or bothered to get some tubes flush to each other before welding, the rear lower wishbones, both were unequel lengths and both "eyes" for the busheswere not paralell to each other and one wishbone was twisted, the welding was undercut and porous which could be seen through the powder coating!! the front wisbones all suffered from the "eyes" for the bushes being un-parralell (if thats a word) and i think, but don't quote me on this, the tubing used is not seemless, i will know for sure when i cut one open, ohand why aren't the lower rear bones the same width as the chassis brackets? no doubt some of you are saying why didn't i complain? well i will tell you, from what i have read on another site a lot of people have had the same probs with wishbones so why would i have mine replaced with anything better and on the couple of occasions i called tiger the awnsers i got left me dumbstruck, for instance i didn't get my vin plate when i picked up my body (don't get me started on the body) so i phoned them and was told tiger don't do vin plates?? eventualy i get them to send me one and when this arrives they haven't even bothered to de-burr the bloody edges, i say bloody because they were after i removed it from my thumb, and to put the icing on the cake the numbers they stamped aren't even in a straight line....so in the end i have junked the wishbones and fabed my own and my own uprights, at least with these i will have some adjustability..If anyone wants to see how i have done mine there are pics in my album..
Rant over and i thankyou

locost7-online.com

posted on 5/3/03 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
i asked jim D about the bodywork fitting the cockpit, he tells me now that they have changed their chassis dimentions making it narrower at the top tails, he said that the bodywork will fit mine but will be VERY tight1 like the first one they did! as for the suspension i borrowed some to measure and look at and i must say I would NEVEr buy some from Tiger, they are too twisted etc.
I have fabricated a jig to make my own that are straight, ( if I can do it why cant tiger?
My theroy is that someone maybe Jim built a one off avon then jiged it from that but nothing was straight and they went with that anyway... hence im fabing up my own, ive already built and now driving a RC locost.

longlife

posted on 5/3/03 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just glad I'm not on my own. I did phone Tiger and was polite when I was complaining, all I got from the woman was that I was building car incorrectly and other abuse. You wont Tiger me again I am determined to finish the car though !
locost7-online.com

posted on 5/3/03 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got sence from Jim, in his last Email response he has now admitted that the chassis where the dashboard/scuttle goes needs to be reduced to 1025mm from 1045mm, this is what i origonall thought about the chassis when i first started to fabricate it. all makes sence now.

Happy tiger builder. :-)

Now ordered Bodywork, mid May delivery, asked abour rear wheel arch diferences, they have corrected them.

Viper

posted on 7/3/03 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
"asked abour rear wheel arch diferences, they have corrected them."

what was the difference in the arches? the width? or the diam? and does anyone know when they corrected them?????

locost7-online.com

posted on 9/3/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
The wheel arches were different widths, about 1/2inch different!

Viper

posted on 4/4/03 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
And what happens to people that have a body that isn't symetrical??
just tough i guess.and bloody

locost7-online.com

posted on 24/4/03 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Viper, whats your general opinion about the car, im building my own chassis (no 2) which is straighter than tigers one, does the bodywork fit ok? ive built an RC book locost, everything was good, im thinking of ordering my body for the Avon at Stoneleigh.

Yours is looking good, have you got a website with piccies on it?

Viper

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
John.
For the price of the body work i wasn't expecting a great deal. what i was expecting was for it to fit reasonbly well and be symetrical. I am going to have to cut one arch off and modify it and then replace it.....not happy at all.........
i can send you some pics if the problem areas if you want.
Tim

locost7-online.com

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Some pics would be good, i spoke to Tiger, they assured me that they now have a second mould which corrects the rear arch problem.

punker

posted on 25/4/03 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
john, i've decided to fab my wish bones and uprights (as i'm not trusting tigers) i wondered if you could mail me or post the dims and some pics for the jigs you made??
locost7-online.com

posted on 25/4/03 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
You are right not to trust the tiger ones, i borrowed some to jig from, they were so poor i started fresh, if you mail me ol forum ill email you the jig pics, i tried to attach on here but came out blurred.

Viper

posted on 25/4/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost7-online.com
Some pics would be good, i spoke to Tiger, they assured me that they now have a second mould which corrects the rear arch problem.

thats nice of them, what about us poor sods that have the earlier shit.
what realy pisses me off is the fact they were selling these crap bodies when they knew they were wrong.

sorry winge over, i will sort some pics bit IF they have sorted the problem then you should be ok

Simon

posted on 28/4/03 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Viper,

I think the Sale of Goods Act might help. Tell Tiger you want to exchange the poor bodywork you have for the modified one.

If he says no, mention Trading Standards, then the small claims court.

Also, you could mention about stating facts on various forums. I'm not talking about "he's a so and so", but factual probs that have been mentioned in earlier postings. The threat of very public and factual bad press might prompt them to change their mind.

Any legal eagles care to comment?

ATB

Simon

Viper

posted on 29/4/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Happy tiger builder. :-)

Now ordered Bodywork, mid May delivery, asked abour rear wheel arch diferences, they have corrected them.

I spoke to Sue @ Tiger today and she told me that the bodywork has not been changed, the only thing different is that they have polished the moulds...( i thought the moulds had to be polished each time they were used anyway)...to give a better finish, the wheel arches remain the same.

locost7-online.com

posted on 7/5/03 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I placed my order for the bodywork at the show on Sunday, i will be measuring every inch of it when it is delivered in June.

John

MikeRJ

posted on 13/5/03 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've just bought a homebuilt chassis based on the RC book but 4" wider and the Tiger rear end. Looking around for body work options I was considering the Avon parts (which I will have to widen). However, the price list states a full set of GRP for £380. If you then add up the separate prices for the tub, scuttle, rear wings, nose, bonnet and cycle wings it only comes to £322.90? What else do you get with the full kit?

Sounds like Tigers body panels may not be the best starting point however...

Viper

posted on 13/5/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I've just bought a homebuilt chassis based on the RC book but 4" wider and the Tiger rear end. Looking around for body work options I was considering the Avon parts (which I will have to widen). However, the price list states a full set of GRP for £380. If you then add up the separate prices for the tub, scuttle, rear wings, nose, bonnet and cycle wings it only comes to £322.90? What else do you get with the full kit?

Sounds like Tigers body panels may not be the best starting point however...

Are you in a hurry to buy the tub?

Northy

posted on 14/5/03 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
What you thinking?

Graham

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.