Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie seeks advice
absolute0

posted on 9/6/04 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
newbie seeks advice

Hi,

I'm very new to the whole world of locost/kit cars, so please bear with me. I've been searching the web and can't really find anything relating to insurance costs of a locost. Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how much people are spending on this? Do you insure only when required, or do you insure the car on an annual basis?

I'm have no prior knowledge of mechanics, so I am looking to try to learn the necessaries before I even touch a kit car. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what the best approach for someone like me is?

Cheers

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/6/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
depends on age

Quotes seem to range between 180 - 300 quid or so for an 'average' car with a driver over 25, limited to 3000 miles a year.

If you are younger, or have a big turbo engine, its more costly, or even prohibitive.

If you dont have a lot of experience, buy a kit like a MK indy, OR buy something ready made. You can pick up a seven type car for a few thousand - which is realistically what It will cost you to build one anyways...... dont be fooled by the book title.

It uses the currency of planet Zorg, where a Zorgian pound is worth approx 1000 of our earth pence.

atb

steve

Jasper

posted on 9/6/04 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Age is the key - I'm 36 and pay £155 a year - so very cheap.

As for learning - I knew very little b4 I started - just a few basics like servicing and stuff. I went to my local night school and did a basic car maintenance coarse, which gave me a little confidence. Best thing to do is to get stuck in. Decide what you want - a balls out track day car, or more of a long distance machine - get yourself to as many shows or local meets as possible and talk to lots of people.

OX

posted on 9/6/04 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
order a kit a get stuck in man make sure every thing is tight and read this forum and you wont go wrong

theconrodkid

posted on 9/6/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
there are plenty of meets round the country,find your nearest and meet up with the others,most will help you if you get stuck

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Kitlooney1000

posted on 9/6/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Im 29 and with a limited mileage of 3000 i only pay £130
tractorboy

posted on 10/6/04 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
im 33 and for me and the misses as a named driver and 5000 miles per year im paying about £180
James

posted on 10/6/04 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by absolute0

I'm have no prior knowledge of mechanics, so I am looking to try to learn the necessaries before I even touch a kit car. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what the best approach for someone like me is?

Cheers

Neither did (some would say 'do' I. To be honest you don't need to be a mechanic as long as you keep things simple/straightforward.

Best approach is to just get on with the car- your enthusiasm for it will make you get the knowledge for the rest of it!

HTH,

James

P.S. Hint: Putting a few details into your profile here will help people identify you and invite you to local Locost meets.

absolute0

posted on 11/6/04 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback. I have a better understanding of insurance costs now. Shouldn't be too expensive as I am 26. I'm not really in a position to get stuck into building one straight away as I don't have the space (at the moment), but I wouldn't mind helping someone build their own in order to build my experience up. So if there is anyone in the Bourne area that needs a hand, I don't mind helping.

Just one other thing, I know that a lot of the locost cars use Sierras as donors. Are these becoming harder to obtain?

Cheers

gjn200

posted on 11/6/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm a personal slave............

<- Me!

absolute0

posted on 11/6/04 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjn200
Hmmm a personal slave............

Some one else from Bourne, surely not. How far are you with your build?

gjn200

posted on 11/6/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly done, but its not for sva so its dead basic. Its not in town though its at the ol'mans miles away But we are in a good place for visiting manufactures and make sure you go to newark next week(?) I can't as I'm on holiday from tomorrow in sheep shaggin' wales.

<- Me!

absolute0

posted on 11/6/04 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjn200
Nearly done, but its not for sva so its dead basic. Its not in town though its at the ol'mans miles away But we are in a good place for visiting manufactures and make sure you go to newark next week(?) I can't as I'm on holiday from tomorrow in sheep shaggin' wales.

Where abouts is your old man? I actually live in Morton, it's just easier to say Bourne.

I do plan on going to the Newark show. I'm at a stag do on the Saturday, so if I'm feeling up to it I will checkout all of the kits.

Jasper

posted on 11/6/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you meet up with a few of us if you want, MK owners stand or Locost stand, if you want some mobile numbers u2u me.
absolute0

posted on 11/6/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Make sure you meet up with a few of us if you want, MK owners stand or Locost stand, if you want some mobile numbers u2u me.

Will do. Thanks.

absolute0

posted on 23/6/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Went to Newark on the Sunday, apart from the weather, it was a very enjoyable day.

Had a look at MK, Luego, Tiger & Robin Hood, the problem we found was with legroom.

The MK Indy was too small, knee room was a problem.

Tiger hadn't got any cars to sit into, just a collection of bits, which is a pity.

The robin hood was ok for space but I thought the quality and finish of their end products was poor. Having said that, we did take a look some of the owners cars and the finish on some were very good, which put Robin Hood's own cars to shame. Weird position for the handbrake as well.

The Luego Viento was just excellent! But I get the impression that this would work out quite expensive in the long run.

Can anyone give any advice on the above please?

Dave

[Edited on 24/6/04 by absolute0]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.