Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring for starter button
Rosco

posted on 28/3/11 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring for starter button

I'm planning to put a starter button on my 4AGE but have no idea how much current the solenoid circuit will take.

I'm working on the basis that the starter button I've bought (one of those smart looking alloy effect ones from CBS, Europa, SVC...) isn't up to the job on it's own and I need a relay, possibly with a fly-wheel diode.

Anyone any idea of solenoid current or rating for starter buttons, or just thoughts on best practice ........

Thanks

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/3/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
solenoid takes very little current to activate it, that is their whole purpose. A couple of amps maximum at a guess. Not sure why a diode may be needed?
When I did one, I fed the starter switch from an ignition controlled circuit straight to the solenoid. (old car though!)

Rosco

posted on 28/3/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your feedback

For info, a fly-wheel diode is sometimes used on highly inductive loads to dissipate the back emf created by a collapsing magnetic field when you release the switch. It protects the contacts from the arc you get when you open the switch. At least that's the theory - but I'll need to give some though as to whether it's a good idea on a battery-driven circuit.

zetec

posted on 28/3/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I used a relay with the feed from the ignition light, means the starter cant be engaged once the engine has started, works a treat.
scudderfish

posted on 28/3/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
I used a relay with the feed from the ignition light, means the starter cant be engaged once the engine has started, works a treat.

Oooo, I like that idea, I'm going to do that.

DaveFJ

posted on 28/3/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I heard various stories about people having issues with the ignition light extinguishing before the engine had starteed properly and the starte cutting out....

therefore i have wired my new starter button relay into a microswitch mounted below the handbrake so that the starter button only works when the handbrake is on. was the best and easiest compromise i couls come up with

I especially want to isolate my starter button when driving because it is integrated into my gear knob!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.