Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger build so far,
furryeggs

posted on 10/3/17 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think once it's finished I will change the wheels, but for now £20 on some 10mm spacers for the front will have to do.
neilp1

posted on 10/3/17 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Remember it's never finished!!
furryeggs

posted on 3/4/17 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of an update on the build. now I have 95% of everything I need it's now on the final stages. I reckon I'm about 80% done, but there's a lot of small finishing off jobs to be done some of which will have to wait for the body to be painted, the list is slowly getting smaller though.

I've glassed in the end plates for the boot area from when I cut it down to fit the roll bar. just a little bit of trimming and I can get the cover made up.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I've also made the bottom of the dash using the wifes loaf tin as a mould, Again just a bit of trimming to fit and flocking.
[img][/img]

The dash tub has been cut to get the dash fitted in place.
[img][/img]

Once done I've removed it and covered it, then refitted the dials and lights. It's a hard dash so 19mm bottom edge and a thin neoprene trim.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I decided to spend an hour or so getting the wheels and suspension set in roughly the right place. I've had to fit wheel spacers on the front to fill the arches and stop rubbing on the stays and the rears still need to come out about 20mm. But once it's closer to being finished I'll pop it to a mates for laser alignment and corner weights.
[img][/img]

And just as I thought there was no more wiring I went and got this.
[img][/img]

DJT

posted on 4/4/17 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good. And a nice set of gauges.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

furryeggs

posted on 4/4/17 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bloomin expensive gauges. They're the single most expensive thing I've got on the car. I managed to get my engine, g/box, TB's, diff and wheels for less (just).
furryeggs

posted on 9/4/17 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've been on nights this week so there's not been a huge amount done.

I made a tunnel mould from a previous template out of 18mm ply, rounded off the edges to give me an IVA compliant radius. This was wrapped in foil and glassed up using 1 layer of fleece and 2 glass fibre layers.

[img][/img]

This will hopefully give me a 18mm ish overlap along the edge covering panel edges and rivets... If it fits.
[img][/img]

It fits... I've put a quick skim of P38 filler over the glass to smooth of any imperfections. Once sanded It's getting covered to match the dash so I'm not worried about having it perfectly smooth. just need to finish off the hole around the gear nob.
It is a tight fit as intended, as it needs to be removable does it have to be fixed (bolted) or can I panel clip it/Velcro in place
[img][/img]

I've also refitted the exhaust so I can make up a hanger bracket and sort out the lambda cable hole. I'm going to have to cut and re-solder the wiring for this as the plug on the LC2 is massive.
[img][/img]

R1 carbon wrapped can looking good. once finished the rest will be wrapped in exhaust wrap to match downpipes.
[img][/img]

I've made up a link pipe by machining an edge into some stainless tube to fit into the end of the R1 can, lobster backed and TIG welded a bend (no access to a bender)... and fitted a £6 chrome tip, this needs cutting a little to fit properly.
[img][/img]

I have almost 2 hole days this week on the car so I'm hoping to get the wiring under the dash sorted and fixed in place, the tunnel top finished and covered and any additional body trimming finished off. I can then get it off to paint whilst I worry about getting the garage door in.

furryeggs

posted on 12/4/17 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to spend the day getting the bodywork finished off or as close as I can get. Firstly none of the pieces are square, level, the same width or height so it's mainly been done by eye. There was a bit of measuring to start off with but when you've got 10-20mm difference in measurements it's a little tricky.

The bonnet and nose cone offered up, gaps everywhere, and a lot of fettling required...
[img][/img]

With the bonnet trimmed there is a noticeable gap on both sides, once the catches are fitted these should pull in.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The passenger side pulls in ok but the drivers side there's still a gap. A little more fettling required.
[img][/img]

A lot better fit now it's trimmed, just waiting for catch's and a little bit more trimming around the filter.
[img][/img]

The last bit of body work is getting the boot sorted, I fished out my cardboard templates from a few months ago and started transferring over to some ply. This is going to be a 2 layer boot lid, one covering the boot box area and roll hoop cut outs, with an edge that the boot lid will seal against. The second layer will neatly cover all the roll cage holes and leave the reses for the boot lid to sit in with 2 locks to secure it.

The boot lid marked up ready for cutting.
[img][/img]

The tether for the fuel cap was drilled an fitted, I drilled the housing bellow the level of where the clamp will hold the pipe in place so there won't be any chance of leaking. This will also let the tether to be internal to the cap.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

furryeggs

posted on 16/4/17 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've found a few hours to get my boot lid finalised and done, well almost done at least. There will be a little fine tuning once it's back on the car, but for now I need to decide what to cover it in.

1st piece, this will sit on the body tub whilst the roll bar is fitted.
[img][/img]

2nd piece, this covers most of the roll bar cut outs and will be trimmed around the hoop stays. It also forms part of the recess that the boot lid will sit in.
[img][/img]

3rd piece, this covers the remainder of the cut out and will also be trimmed around the stays. Completing the remainder of the boot recess.
[img][/img]

The final piece, the boot lid. trimmed and sanded neatly to finish. Now what to cover it with??? suggestions welcomed
[img][/img]

melly-g

posted on 16/4/17 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I see you dropped the height of your steering wheel, was that only possible by using the self centering bearing? That tube tiger put in is a pain in the butt! My wheel sits as you say very high on the dash. Is it harder to get in out with the wheel that low?
furryeggs

posted on 16/4/17 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's hieght adjustable. My seats are very low, fixed direct to the floor and no padding on them so the Tiger steering wheel position was pretty much in my face. I can raise the hieght to get in and out and then drop it to the driving position (plus its quick release once the IVA's done). It's more central compared to the tiger position as well.
Plus I didn't want all my gauges on the passenger side so I had to get enough room for 52mm gauges, which I couldn't get with the tiger set up.

melly-g

posted on 16/4/17 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot about height adjustable columns.
I would like to drop my shell but it would be a lot of work now.

furryeggs

posted on 6/5/17 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got lots more little bits done over the last week. Mainly bodywork and anything that needs sorting whilst the bodies on...

I decided to make a small patch panel for the dash, I wasn't 100% sure on the bottom radius requirements on that side.
[img][/img]

Mocked up the dash decals and cut them ready for fitting.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Tunnel top covered and test fitted along with the dash pieces.
[img][/img]

I had to modify my exhaust coupling slightly to clear the front hoop of my cage.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

After a lot of measuring and worrying my front hoop turned up from Tubebender and to my utter surprise fits a treat, I had the bottom legs made slightly long to allow me plenty of adjustment when it comes to fitting. They'll be cut to length once tacked up and in place. Now for measuring up for the top bars and side bars.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Made the end caps for the boot and covered them ready for fitting. As you can see by the size difference, the tiger boot isn't square, at all.

[img][/img]

I've almost finished the bonnet fitting as well, pins and catches sorted out and the vent moulded. Just the vent hole to cut and bonding it in place.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The bonnets not a perfect fit, I've managed to keep it square with a 4mm even gap down both edges.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

furryeggs

posted on 5/6/17 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well it's been a hectic 2 weeks trying to get as much done as possible before bits go off to paint. The nose cone, bonnet and spare wings have all gone off to paint. I did manage to get everything on them trimmed and drilled where required.

I machined some extensions for the front indicators and drilled some bolts so the wirings hidden.
[img][/img]

Fitted to the lights.
[img][/img]

In place on the nose cone. as with everything the nose is no where near even/square so most of the positioning has been done by eye, It's all square from the front but if you look from above there's 10mm difference side to side.
[img][/img]

After a lot of ball ache trying to get a blade aeroscreen made I decided to just get the tiger one. personally it's not ideal but it'll do for now.
[img][/img]

The last picture taken before it got stripped to go to paint.
[img][/img]

My steering wheel cowl is made from a bit of drain pipe and covered to match the dash and tunnel.
[img][/img]

I've got round to replacing the wheel studs that I cut to length before realising I needed spacers... Doh
[img][/img]

And I've finally got round to making a bracket for my speed sensor, and wrapped it all in spiral wrap and clipped it in place.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I've got a fair amount more done but haven't got any pictures. I have finished off some wiring, spent a few hours setting the front and rear suspension to as close to the recommended alignment, this will be checked and set along with the ride height and corner weights.

And if that's not enough I've got the garage wall all stripped back and render removed ready for the door to be knocked back through.
[img][/img]

furryeggs

posted on 2/7/17 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't seem to getting much closer to being finished by some of the pictures, but seeing that most of the jobs I've been doing are the small fiddly bits that never get seen It's getting close. I've not taken pictures of everything as some of it is a little dull but I have been busy getting lots done.

-Trimmed the seat edges for IVA.
-Changed my fuel sender for one with a low level light and ran a new wire.
- I've added a fuel light to the dash, and bonded in my patch panel for the bottom radius on the drivers side, then recovered the hole thing.
-Lots of wiring, tidying up and deleting chock block connectors, these are for my headlights. I also had to rewire one of the lights and rotate it as the beam pattern was upside down.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

-Before the body went of to paint I took lots of measurements and now the body is off I've been trying to get the geometry and ride height to as close to spec as possible. It'll get aligned properly once it can be driven down to a mates garage.

-And as for the body. I have the nose cone and bonnet back from paint, it's looking good. The main tub however has had a few issues, I've had to go over to sort out a few areas the primer coat flagged up, namely 2 spider cracks in the gel coat.

Tub primed.
[img][/img]

one of the crack just below the scuttle.
[img][/img]

I've drilled the end of each crack and filed out the cracks to a v that reaches just reaches the fibre.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

This has then been filled with a 2 part epoxy and left to cure, it was then sanded back down ready for re priming and paint.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

There's still lots to do but it's starting to get close and the list of jobs is getting ticked off pretty quickly.

furryeggs

posted on 4/8/17 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
The list of jobs is forever getting shorter, yet I still find bits that need sorting. I'm now pretty much ready to fill out the IVA paperwork, what I've got left to finish shouldn't take much more than a week or 2... hopefully.
Again, I've not taken picture of everything but what I've got done since the last update is quite a lot.

-I noticed a lot of crud and crap in my coolant bottle so I had to drain the system and flush it through.
-My exhaust wrap had something in it that didn't like heat??? It was free stuff from my last work at a bakery that we used for the oven flues, it had been lying around for a while and maybe had oil and allsorts in it. It smoked like a gooden to the extent I grabbed the extinguisher just encase it went up. Needless to say that's been stripped off and some proper stuff ordered.
-I've got the wiring finished... Hooray... just 2 clips left to fit tonight.

I've got my LC-2 wideband wired up too. There was a bit of cutting involved as they had sent me an 8ft cable and wanted more money for a shorter one that would of still been to long.
[img][/img]

Its a screened cable so it got interesting, when cut it turned out that there were 2 yellow cores, after a little testing it turned out they both terminated at the same pin on the plug which made it easier.
[img][/img]

Once soldered back up I re screened the cores that required it and heat shrank it up to seal.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

It powered up with no fault codes and calibrated ok, the ECU seems to be getting the signal so all is good. Made it as tidy as I could too.
[img][/img]

And the last wiring was the usb socket and volt gauge.
[img][/img]

I have under sealed the rear wings with grey Wunderseal It's a little thick but it paints on ok.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

the inner body tub and boot was painted with black roofing rubber paint from screwfix.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

IVA friendly wing mirrors piping cut and fitted
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

-Sanded prepped and painted the role cage DIY style with metal paint and a roller, yes a roller. I'll keep the pictures back until the final reveal in a week or 2. I'm 95% happy with it and it looks almost as good as a powder coat. plus it cost £7 to do.

-I'm not a fan of tigers badge. (sorry Tiger) so I'm working on my own. This is the first test one which I have stuck on the nose already but it wasn't quite right so it got taken off. It's a little to orange.
[img][/img]

More to follow soon... Test drive tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.

furryeggs

posted on 6/8/17 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Got a few small bits done at work (it's a quite day)...

-I have knocked up some glass fibre foot plates for in front of the seats, I'll give these a coat of rubber paint and a layer of sand for a bit of grip.
[img][/img]

-My new exhaust wrap turned up so my down pipes have been wrapped.
[img][/img]

-There isn't enough room in my filter back plate for the air temp sensor, so I've made up a small bracket to fit it in the nose cone.
[img][/img]

-The boot cover has been given a last coat of rubber paint to seal it all before it gets covered.
[img][/img]

-IVA paperwork is filled out ready to post this week so there is plenty to crack on with.

furryeggs

posted on 11/8/17 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Can you guess what the exhaust hanger was in a former life?

[img][/img]

Andybarbet

posted on 11/8/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Coat hook ?

Looks good though.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

craigdiver

posted on 11/8/17 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looking amazing, where did you get the switch protection hoops that you have on your dash - really like them?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

furryeggs

posted on 11/8/17 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Looking amazing, where did you get the switch protection hoops that you have on your dash - really like them?

Ebay from America, they were each about £4 cheaper than CBS. Until customs got involved and charged me £11 in tax and an £8 handling charge... B@$*"x#s

craigdiver

posted on 12/8/17 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
[img][/img]

Not sure I like your headlights and the aim looks way out ;-)

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

furryeggs

posted on 13/8/17 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to sort out the running and MAP so that's been taking up most of the time this week. this is the thread https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=209900[/url]

I have managed to sort out covering some trim panels and the boot lid.
[img][/img]

furryeggs

posted on 27/8/17 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've managed to do my back in again so things have slowed down again. Reluctantly I've held off sending my IVA paperwork in as I can't guarantee I'll be able to get things finished in time. It'll also give me time to make sure everything's spot on before I book it in.

I have been able to sort out the exhaust tip however, when I fitted the slip on exhaust tip I just ended up with gas, soot and crap blowing out the gap and onto the bodywork...

I've got a 1"-2" dairy pipe reduced and marked up where to machine the size to match the exhaust.

original 1.75" tip (no rounded lip)
[img][/img]

Reducer marked up.
[img][/img]

Slip on tip marked up for cutting.
[img][/img]

The 2 pieces welded together.
[img][/img]

And the finished exhaust.
[img][/img]

furryeggs

posted on 3/10/17 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
With a few weeks off with my back again not much has got done on the car.

I've fitted my wing mirrors but need to check the edges on the clamps for IVA.

[img][img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/3IMG_7133.JPG[/img[/img]

[img][/img]

I found a Raceline sump off a Genetta race car that was cheap on ebay and turned out to be 2 miles away so a quick visit to check it out and it came home with me... I need to trim a little off the engine support bracket to stop rubbing but it's now fitted...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I've also been pimping the garage a bit ready to make room for my bro's Cobra that he wants re freshing.
Theres new doors hung for the cupboards, floor repairs and half the floor painted.

I've also treated my self to some dollys to move the car around the garage i little easier. I can now get the other half of the floor painted...

[img][/img]

mk7matt

posted on 9/10/17 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looking awesome buddy.
Nice quality build.

I look forward to it being on the road so we can go for a run out.

2.0 Pinto powered Mk Indy.
10 years in the making.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.