Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin-top engine not warming - any ideas?
jps

posted on 7/2/18 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tin-top engine not warming - any ideas?

My 2013 Kia Ceed is suddenly not getting warm as quick as usual (according to the digital temp display and the lack of warm air coming through the vents).

Funnily enough (!!) - this co-incides with a spell of rather cold weather - temp around here is about 4/5 c max.

Tbh - I only notcied this weekend, and only drove a few miles into town and back, which is all 30/40mph and in traffic. But the temp barely registered as higher than the minimum reading. Ordinarily I would expect it to rise more than that even on a 10-15 minute journey.

Dipstick is showing no signs of oil into water, coolant level is right between Max and min. My assumption is a thermostat valve which keeps the water circulating round the block below a certain temp has failed, but my dad reckons that's mega rare on modern cars.

Kia (with their wonderful 7 year warranty) charge £90 to check it out, refundable only if they decide it's work that is covered by the warranty. Which they can't decide until they've looked at it... Any ideas on things I could check out?

[Edited on 7/2/18 by jps]

geoff shep

posted on 7/2/18 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Well, as you say, it has been very cold but the symptoms could suggest that the thermostat is staying open.

Good luck with Kia, they are refusing to sort out a battery problem on our Cee'd, because the battery is over 2 years old, despite the fact that we brought it to their attention before the 2 year point.

theconrodkid

posted on 7/2/18 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
deffo sounds like the stat, euro car parts advertise that they sell parts for these cars, my I20 gets warm air within half a mile

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bi22le

posted on 7/2/18 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
To register on the temp gauge it needs to be up to at least 50degC I would guess. So I would do a short journey that you expect it to start warming up and then feel the radiator feed pipes. If they are warm and not hot then the stat is stuck open as they would get warm quickly.

I think states open at 70deg plus so if its warm and not bloody hot then the stat is opening too early / stuck.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

CosKev3

posted on 7/2/18 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar issue with my GTD Golf,changed stat which helped but still would only go to 90deg if I gave it a thrashing.
Searched Google to find out the VAG DSG cars have a second in line thermostat before the DSG oil cooler,this was stuck fully open.
Replaced and toastie heaters and 90deg on gauge within a few miles now

nick205

posted on 8/2/18 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Had a similar issue with my GTD Golf,changed stat which helped but still would only go to 90deg if I gave it a thrashing.
Searched Google to find out the VAG DSG cars have a second in line thermostat before the DSG oil cooler,this was stuck fully open.

Interesting - I didn't know about the second stat!

I've had various VAG cars (Seats, VWs etc) and on all of them the temperature gauge has sat rock solid on 90°C, whether driven gently or hard.

I suspect VAG temperature gauges work on some sort of range (e.g. 80-100°C actual reads as 90°C on the gauge). I have no proof of that of course, just my guess work.

For the OP's Kia Cee'd issue I'd agree it sounds stat related. Should be a relatively easy part to source and change and replacing the engine coolant does no harm either.

jps

posted on 8/2/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Should be a relatively easy part to source and change and replacing the engine coolant does no harm either.

Yes - my main concern really is whether Kia will do it under their 7 year warranty. They have told me that they have to inspect the car first to diagnose the problem and to establish whether it is covered under warranty. They charge £90 for that - only refunded if they decide it's covered by the warranty....

I am currently trying to establish whether they consider the thermostat a 'consumable' part, the reception girl at the dealership told me that was completely impossible for them to determine before they saw the car (which does not give me much faith!)

CosKev3

posted on 8/2/18 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Interesting - I didn't know about the second stat!

I've had various VAG cars (Seats, VWs etc) and on all of them the temperature gauge has sat rock solid on 90°C, whether driven gently or hard.

I suspect VAG temperature gauges work on some sort of range (e.g. 80-100°C actual reads as 90°C on the gauge). I have no proof of that of course, just my guess work.

For the OP's Kia Cee'd issue I'd agree it sounds stat related. Should be a relatively easy part to source and change and replacing the engine coolant does no harm either.

Were any of those DSG cars?

As it's only them that have the secondary stat

hughpinder

posted on 8/2/18 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Is the fan on all the time?
jps

posted on 8/2/18 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Is the fan on all the time?

Haven't checked that - I will take a look this eve.

geoff shep

posted on 8/2/18 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is it due for a service? They were going to look at our battery problem while it was in for the service and I got the impression (although didn't confirm it) that there wouldn't be any additional charge for that - which it appears there is for a stand-alone investigation.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/18 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had this with my Cmax and others have had loads of issues with fords in the winter. Most of the heat seems to be fed to heating up the oil in preference to the driver! very overcomplicated system they use and all the parts outrageously expensive. Never did sort it even after changing parts like the thermostat, still stone cold in the winter and an overcool engine (which then caused injector issues). One of the many reasons I can't stand fords...

Sorry, not very helpful, can only recommend getting a better car

^ oh yeah we had battery problems too, turned out to be a totally worn out alternator at just 35k miles, quality....

[Edited on 8/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 8/2/18 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Test the thermostat that's free.

My kia optima is taking ages to warm up in this weather but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 8/2/18 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ambient temp changes really shouldn't affect coolant temp warmup time by much, must be a stat stuck open.

Simon

posted on 8/2/18 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about it - I had an Espace and on one particularly cold journey of about 6 miles, the gauge also barely moved off cold (heater on). I also find with my current 308 diesel that if the engine gets to 1/4 temp gauge while stationary and I put heater blower on max gauge goes back to "0" until I start driving.
jps

posted on 9/2/18 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the thoughts/suggestions. Interestingly I ran the car a bit yesterday, temp gauge went almost up the middle (where it usually sits). Stopped the car, then got back in a few minutes later. Turned the key, temp was sitting at 3 bars, started the engine, temp dropped rapidly to 1 bar before I moved...

Fan is not permanently on.

Top hose to the radiator is warm but not hot.

It all points of thermostat valve for me too - I will attempt to bring it up with them during the next service, due in just a few hundred miles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.