Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Builders?
Viper

posted on 29/11/02 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Builders?

How many people on here are actualy building an Avon?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Billywhizz

posted on 29/11/02 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Me, so thats at least two of us

How far have you got with your build?
I have tacked up all my chassis and welded up the wishbones, stripped the sierra, body work arriving on thursday so gonna start trying to fit it together

Viper

posted on 29/11/02 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i made the mistake of buying my chassis and wishbones, the wishbones are out of square and generaly unimpressed with it. I have almost fitted all the ally panels and have reconed most of the donner parts but i am going to fabricate my own wishbones, i have already fabricated the rear uprights, a long way to go yet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John

posted on 29/11/02 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I intend to build an Avon type car, mainly to make use of the IRS details and rear uprights. I will be fabricating my own chasis and suspension parts so that I can make the chassis wider and longer. At present I am removing the parts from the donor. I expect to be building the chassis in about 2 weeks.

The Avon book is not as detailed as RC book so I suppose my build will be a mix of them both. As the front suspension uses Cortina uprights, and other parts of the Avon are very similar to a locost, I see no reason why the RC book cannot be used for most of the details. Taking the best from each. Not sure how it will work out though. Time will tell.

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

Viper

posted on 30/11/02 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
the front of the chassis is pretty much the same but i would suggest you use sierra uprights as the cortina ones are getting hard to find and expensive to boot, and as for the tiger rear uprights, well it's pretty easy to come up with something much better.

John

posted on 30/11/02 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
The Avon rear uprights do look over complicated and the thought had crossed my mind to simplify them. I will wait until I have removed the rear hub so that I can get a better picture of what is needed.

I had also considered using the sierra front uprights but was put off by the Avon book mentioning that the suspension would require re-designing. Also a number of posts have talked about the need to form a new taper in the top mounting, which is beyond my capabilities. The cortina uprights began to look a better bet then but, I must admit, I havent yet tried to get hold of any.

John

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

chrisg

posted on 30/11/02 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use Sierra Whishbones/brackets/bushes and top ball joint adapter fom MK? Just weld the brackets to your chassis. It's the bottom ball joint that needs the taper altering, Mk could do that for you too, it's only a five minute job.

HTH

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

John

posted on 30/11/02 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry it is the bottom joint that requires the taper modification, of course. I would prefer to use the Sierra uprights because I have them, but I really wanted to construct my own wishbones etc. because that is the part I can do myself. Also I would want to confirm on paper or CAD that the MK type arrangement would fit the Avon chassis.

Are there any detailed drawings available for a front suspension set up with Sierra uprights.

John.

eenud

posted on 1/12/02 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
when does the build start

I am building, I am building, I am building, am I building? I have the donor striped down and a garage full of collected bits. The chassis should be ready for uplift in Jan. I decided to buy to save time, but now that’s holding me back!
I am going with Cortina front as I thought that as well as the wishbone needing to be different and the hub modifications the steering rack position is different?
John I am also using the donor 1800 CVH at least up until the SVA and Registration. This does not seem like a popular choice but what the hell, I have it now and I can upgrade in the future.

Ian

gjn200

posted on 1/12/02 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Got my chassis yesterday, not too bad but one bracket is slightly on the wee but not enough to worry about, now what the hell is that plate near the engine mount for??? place for the VIN maybe?

ps, if (according to tiger) "more than 100 have been sold" (in the kit car mag review) why does mine say C84??

Graham

[Edited on 1/12/02 by gjn200]

Viper

posted on 1/12/02 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
i picked mine up in october and it says C56??

tractorboy

posted on 3/12/02 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
tiger avon builders

virgin poster here .i am also building an avon.i have a rolling chassis,with brakes,fuel and wiring.i am not as talented and you guys as i cant weld so my chassis,wishbones etc came from tiger.with referance to the chssis ident plate 1st letter is the initial of the bloke who welded it(mine is j17).be careful this plate fouled the sump(modified)when the engine was fitted.if i can be any help drop me a line.p.s started feb (with no book)hope to be on the road in the spring.and could somebody define low cost ?
Viper

posted on 3/12/02 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
well that being the case, you would think he would be able to get them right by the time he got to 56...

locost7-online.com

posted on 4/12/02 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just ordered the steel for the chassis, 22.50 for, 36m 1" box

Where are you guys getting your 1" round stuff?

Should be forst part of the build on my new website within a week.

John

punker

posted on 5/12/02 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
im building one two...well when i say building i meen im getting my steel next week and i'm still looking for a mig welder. i bought a sierra but its got the dohc engine so still looking for a pinto engined sierra. i've modled the chassis in 3d and sorted some of the problems with the drawings but there are a lot, just can't belive that how crap the drawings are!
Billywhizz

posted on 5/12/02 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I agree the drawings are complete shit, You dont realise just how bad they are until you start trying to make the chassis and find things dont add up
Mardy boy

posted on 15/12/02 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mary boy is what I have became after starting my first build, Tiger Avon.

Chasssis, suspension and body was purchased in April. Decided to wait for the manual before I started which arrived in August, why did I bother?

Part quality begs a few questions and I agree that this is not proving to be a lowcost option.

Mardy boy

posted on 15/12/02 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mardy boy is what I have became after starting my first build, Tiger Avon.

Chasssis, suspension and body was purchased in April. Decided to wait for the manual before I started which arrived in August, why did I bother?

Part quality begs a few questions and I agree that this is not proving to be a lowcost option.

Rorty

posted on 16/12/02 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
I much prefer "Mary Boy".

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Viper

posted on 17/12/02 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mardy boy
Mardy boy is what I have became after starting my first build, Tiger Avon.

I have been watching the postings on the tiger racing group on yahoo and there are quite a few people complaining of the quality of the avon, but be warned slag the quality and you might find yourself threatened with libel!! I kid you not

buzzard

posted on 17/12/02 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Avon Build

A friend I worked with actually had chassis
number 2, I helped him build this until I
changed jobs, by then we had it complete
but it hadnt been SVA`d, We had problems
with it but this could be as Tiger were
still building there first one and various
parts needed modifying, If anyone needs any
advice i`ll try my best to help.

James

posted on 19/12/02 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
but be warned slag the quality and you might find yourself threatened with libel!! I kid you not

Interesting.... go on, elaborate!

Cheers,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.