Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avon wider wishbones take 2
Lightning

posted on 12/12/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Avon wider wishbones take 2

Moved the new shocks closer to the ball joints.
The lower wishbones are almost parallell to the ground. Unfortunatly in my case this means I have 2.5 inches clearance on the blade sump.
There is plenty of adjustment to raise the front a bit and I'll raise the back some more too. Sump guard next job.

[Edited on 12/12/05 by Lightning] Rescued attachment Exeter_show 038.jpg
Rescued attachment Exeter_show 038.jpg

Steve

Lightning

posted on 12/12/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
closer view Rescued attachment Exeter_show 041.jpg
Rescued attachment Exeter_show 041.jpg

Steve

mark.s

posted on 12/12/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job, ive got a Avon kit coming next month (bike engine this time!) Are you selling these in sets? If so let me know
Viper

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
how much wider have you made the front?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
75mm each side. Still narrower than the back but not much.

[Edited on 12/12/05 by Lightning]

Steve

Viper

posted on 12/12/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember how much wider i made mine, and looking at my pictures it's very hard to tell

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 21/12/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just to let you know. I have run the car for a while now and most chuffed. There is a great deal more travel on the front and the turn in is improved. Now to sort out the back as still toeing out too far on one side. I think I will make a rig to bolt on to the rear hub so that a lazer line misses the rear arches. I should be able to use this to get it parallel, although might have to recheck the wishbone and mounts as it really shouldn't be that far out. T'other side is fine!

Steve

Viper

posted on 21/12/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
on mime the front n/s mounts were 10mm further back than the offside..

Lightning

posted on 21/12/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
For some strange reason that fails to suprise me

Steve

Lightning

posted on 21/12/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had a thought though to make checking easier I could mount my magnetic laser on one of the tubes that run across the rear and shine it on the rear disc so it hits half way up. If parallel it should reflect back to the laser.
Assumptions: The cross tubes are indeed at 90 degrees to the rest of the chassis. should be.
The disc is not worn: These are nearly new. and would have to be boted back with the wheel nuts.

It occurs that a modification could have been made so that adjustment could be made without the removal of the wishbone each time: say an adjusting nut with left and right hand threads with locknuts???maybe next time.

Steve

Northy

posted on 4/1/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Lightning,

Are you making any more wishbones?
If not do you still have the jigs?

Cheers,

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Lightning

posted on 21/1/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Rob around the corner from me has the jigs. He was planning on making some more. I was planning on running these for a while to give them some longevity testing. So far so good. I'll have a word and see if he has fitted his to his car yet but I know he was having problems elsewhere with his drive shafts so may not have had time.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.