Dry Sump on a Blade ?

Whats your opinion

To dry or not to dry ?

If so, how?

Comments appreciated

Thanks

Stu16v

posted on 20/10/02 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you are going to spend all of your time on the race track with very sticky tyres then no, you dont need to dry sump a Blade engine. Just get a baffle plate (Stuart Taylor sell 'em amongst others) and run with the oil level a little higher.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Jasper

posted on 20/10/02 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Or make your own baffle plate, take the sump off, get a piece of thin aircraft grade ali, cut the appropriate holes in it, trim around the edge and sandwich between two sump gaskets, pennies....
Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
or don't fit a sump plate, don't overfill it (clutch slip city).....i aint done either, she as done some very hard milage with no problems.......dry sump waste a time on a blade.........not one of the RGB boys run a dry sump (on blade's)......

Raj Virdee

posted on 20/10/02 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys for that
ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/10/02 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Dry sump just adds complication, more to go wrong and something else to spring a potentially damaging oil leak form. A working wet sump is better than a working dry sump, as somebody pointed out to me!
I've got a chopped down sump with baffling and a horizontal baffle plate which has so far been fine, so sign of oil surge and some fairly serious abuse, and thats as much if not more than most of the 'blade RGB boys use.
It makes me chuckle on the James Whiting website how they try to justify dry sumping the engine for the Caterham blade, the only reason I can see they do it is so they can get it under the bonnet!

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.