Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And now for something completely different... LeafZX bike engine augmented hybrid
derekbruceyoung

posted on 29/12/21 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Wow that’s looking good. Some tidy engineering in the trunk/frunk boot/froot too!

[Edited on 28/12/21 by ReMan]

Thanks! I also don't know what to call it exactly -- engine bay? hatch? Whatever it is, it definitely needs to be sealed off from the passenger compartment before I drive it much more.

Sanzomat

posted on 29/12/21 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
That is exactly the kind of crazy but well executed idea I love. Definitely seems to work! Does it still have electric drive too?
derekbruceyoung

posted on 29/12/21 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
That is exactly the kind of crazy but well executed idea I love. Definitely seems to work! Does it still have electric drive too?

Thanks this project is/was a lot of fun and I learned a ton. I am admittedly feeling pretty darn capable at the moment

The video was in full hybrid mode with both doing work (should be about 300hp, 110ish Front EV, 190ish rear ICE).

I can select full EV, hybrid and "charge" where the EV gets a 0 throttle signal and the motor re-generates (0, 15 or 30kw depending on the setting) while the ICE pushes the car along. I haven't done much charging yet as I still need to duct the cooling air to the radiator if I want to run the ICE under sustained load. The moto engine alone with the EV in "neutral" doesn't feel particularly powerful, but then again, it doesn't even make 100hp until it's at 8000rpm. I'd like to to get it on a dyno at some point. The bike even came with a "Juice Box" for fattening up the fuel map. I'll worry about power though once everything is put together.

[Edited on 29/12/21 by derekbruceyoung]

derekbruceyoung

posted on 3/3/22 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
After a couple of slow months fixing some problems with the chain line and radiator ducting, the car is reliably on the road!

I've replaced the ball bearings in both the idler and tensioner sprockets with needle bearings which should hopefully help their longevity. I had to increase the size of my window scoop to get enough air into the radiator to be able to run on ICE power only on the highway, so longer distances are now possible.

And while I hesitate to call them finishing touches, I have the interior back together, and the firewall is 95% there. Need to have it fully sealed before I start trying to tackle the interior noise issue, which is crazy loud.

Outside the car, it's not so nuts -- it's the stock muffler after all. I roped a friend into filming a drive-by yesterday, so you can hear for yourself:

https://youtu.be/SxuFXTIhT8I

All the details of this work and more can be found in my photo dump: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hBUezQtiCVuvTPQ99

harmchar

posted on 4/3/22 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Love it. That is bat-shit crazy. Could be the only way to convert us petrol heads to volt heads &#128518;.
Can’t believe how quick that went from idea to execution. Well done.

McLannahan

posted on 4/3/22 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is amazing work - well done!

Are there any tax implications with an engine change like this?

Can I ask why you used a camera to film the bike clocks to then display on a monitor rather than relocating the bike clocks onto the dash?

Brilliant job - really is! I'm so impressed the Leaf was that cheap in the first place too, what a steal!

derekbruceyoung

posted on 4/3/22 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words -- I'm a mechanical engineer who works on robots by trade, so this type of work is in my wheel house. I leveraged 3D scanning, CAD, laser cutting and 3D printing (and $$ when needed) to make it happen so quickly and with few errors and issues.

I don't plan on reporting the change to anyone until I'm forced to. EVs don't do smog checks in California for obvious reasons, and that's the only time anyone "official" ever looks at a car here, there's no other additional inspections ever (crazy, but true).

The camera was so I didn't need to extend a 14 conductor cable 15' or so, route it through the firewall and to the dash and then come up with an nicely integrated mounting method. The back up camera was $40 and the mount in the trunk is a touch crude, but no one sees it.

The purchase timing was good, as Leafs with similarly poor condition batteries are going for $8K+ these days.

[Edited on 4/3/22 by derekbruceyoung]

derekbruceyoung

posted on 10/10/22 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
So the car has been going pretty well -- I've kept tweaking and upgrading as I go along and have run a few group rallies (not competitive) with the car and have surprised people with its pace. I also got some attention at Monterey Car Week and an article was written up on myself and the car here: https://www.theautopian.com/how-an-engineer-built-a-nissan-leaf-with-electric-power-up-front-and-a-fire-breathing-motorcycle-engine-in-back />

If you want to see some action photos, they can be seen on my Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjZmpXNLAKy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edit: Made a new thread to talk about same-link same-tooth chain considerations

[Edited on 11/10/22 by derekbruceyoung]

derekbruceyoung

posted on 16/12/22 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The car has been running great -- and after a chain and sprocket swap for fresh units (an oiler is coming next), and some big brakes (14" rotors!) I am feeling more confident in the car doing canyon runs. Here's a quick one from a couple weekends ago down in Southern California: https://youtube.com/shorts/wwRIiZlr7qw?feature=share
BenB

posted on 17/12/22 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Love it! Amazingly quick work too to go from planning through to completion. Good stuff!
derekbruceyoung

posted on 6/2/23 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got an oil pressure gauge installed so it was time to hit the track! The bike engine held up great and even with an unbaffled, unmodified oil pan the pressure was rock solid under high lateral G loads. I stuck a camera in the engine area for the last session and can't say the same for my motor mounts - one of the mounting bolts backed off! Only a small amount of damage done to a shear panel. Time to bolt check the whole system.

I clipped together all my camera angles to make a full lap -- check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgoxhiMSIHA&lc=UgyeHPkCq0bDTJxLlMF4AaABAg&ab_channel=DerekYoung

derekbruceyoung

posted on 29/8/23 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly had a catastrophic failure of a bearing on the idler sprocket -- the second time this has happened (the first was due to a short cut by me though), so it is time for a redesign to make the chainline more conventional.

The idea is to extend the output shaft via a flex disc (BMW Guibo?) to a short double bearing supported drive shaft to hang a standard (non-offset) sprocket on. This would be done to allow the chain to run forward and clear the alternator cover and water pump and hoses.

I need to move the diff over to the left 100mm or so, which will require new custom axles. Big job and a bunch of $$, but these are experimental car problems, right?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.