Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emission requirements in the UK for bike engines
woodsy144

posted on 30/1/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Emission requirements in the UK for bike engines

Hello.
I am still fighting the fight for emission requirement change in Vic Australia. Making progress with high level meetings.
I understand that the UK may of changed its requirements for emissions.
May some one please tell me what the requirements are and where I can source the official information.
Ideally if there is a fair method being used in other areas then it is seen to be better than just making some new method up

mcerd1

posted on 31/1/22 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
for us putting a new / modified / kit vehicle on the road its the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) rules that apply for cars and Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) for bikes

and all the requirements are all laid out to be fairly easy to follow in these manuals:

Cars: (regardless of engine source - so includes bike engined cars)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Bikes:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual

the emissions bits have flow charts that you just have to follow thorough based on the engine age
(assuming you can prove it - without proof you have to meet the newest standard by default)

[Edited on 31/1/2022 by mcerd1]

-

woodsy144

posted on 31/1/22 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
for us putting a new / modified / kit vehicle on the road its the Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) rules that apply for cars and Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) for bikes

and all the requirements are all laid out to be fairly easy to follow in these manuals:

Cars: (regardless of engine source - so includes bike engined cars)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Bikes:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual

the emissions bits have flow charts that you just have to follow thorough based on the engine age
(assuming you can prove it - without proof you have to meet the newest standard by default)

[Edited on 31/1/2022 by mcerd1]

Great info thanks. How do you guys find these requirements? Somewhat straight forward and easy to pass???

mcerd1

posted on 31/1/22 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the engine really...

most car engines are fine if you can prove the age as your only testing to the same standard as they needed to pass when they were new

Some bike engines can be a little bit tricky as they didn't have to meet the same standards as the cars when new, eg. A 2001 zx9r was still running on carbs so getting it to pass a catalysed test has its issues
(That's why a lot of people build the car with pre-Aug 95 engines)

-

40inches

posted on 31/1/22 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
An injected bike engine would be easier than a carbed. Having said that I got a 1998 carbed XZ9R through IVA and it passed with post 2002 emissions with a 200cell cat
woodsy144

posted on 22/2/22 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
Depends on the engine really...

most car engines are fine if you can prove the age as your only testing to the same standard as they needed to pass when they were new

Some bike engines can be a little bit tricky as they didn't have to meet the same standards as the cars when new, eg. A 2001 zx9r was still running on carbs so getting it to pass a catalysed test has its issues
(That's why a lot of people build the car with pre-Aug 95 engines)

Would most modern fuel injected bike engines pass the BET test (with new cat installed)????

TimC

posted on 22/2/22 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the answer is yes, with a carefully tuned Power Commander controlling the fuelling.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.