Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 no spark :(
Jasper

posted on 23/4/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 no spark :(

The no spark saga continues. The ECU has been tested and is fine, so it must just be down to wiring.

My local mechanical recommended a auto wiring expert, I rang him up, turns out he owns a Silva Striker with a Lancia engine and he's thinking a converting to BEC. So he's gonna come around next week and try and sort mine out, no charge either. Should hopefully get it sorted.

Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
fink you need to chat to PTM, iv'e been pickin his btm lip up off floor all day, he aint got no spark either........in his motor i mean, otherwise he his a "bright spark" don't ya just love him.......

locodude

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
HA, HA She speaks!!!!!

Yes, it is true, after an hour and a half with Steve keenan tonight working on the Tangerine Ninja, she spoke for the first time. It was either of three things (as we worked on them all one after the other) we had the plug connectors off the TPI and crank sensor, measured the resisistance and put them back together. Then Steve said try putting 2 resistors together and Bang, she fired first time. Then tried with 1 resistor and she fired again, so it could have been a bad connection or the 2 resistor trick. we don't know and I don't care. The oil pressure came up quick also. he's coming back tomorrow to tidy up the wiring so I should be on the road by the weekend, Yay!

Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
nice one...........

locodude

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Bottom lip now returned to correct position

Jasper

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - I've understood precisely nothing of what you did to start yours. What's TPI, and what resistors are you talking about, 100ohms in grey wire, or other resistor????

Anyway - glad yours in running. I'm away to Germany for a few days, I'll get this chap Linton over next week to give me a hand.....

BTW, u coming over Jon????

locodude

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Jasper
TPI - throttle position indicator, and yes the 100ohm resistor to the grey wire, we put 2 in parallel. could have been that or just a bad connection somewhere but it fired later using just 1 so I don't know. You can ring me when you get back and I'll go through it with you as best I can. Steve Keenan is normally at MK on sat am so you could ring him if you wish.

MK9R

posted on 24/4/03 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Japser,
Check all the connections where you have hot wired things like the clutch sensor, grey wire resitor and the white and brown wire in the ignition plug (all connected together), you have got it in neutral, side stand switch (only used if in gear though.

We used copper cables that you use in house wiring wich gave a nice firm fit in the conectors, but we still had one bad connection, spade connectors would be better.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've used soldered joints where I'm connecting two wires together with heat shrink over the top. As for the connector terminals, I've used those white connector strips used in domestic wiring, though I've soldered all the ends b4 screwing them in.

All the major ignition wires have been properly connected to the switch using crimped spade connectors. And the engine does turn over, so the main brown/white wires must be ok.

Conrod and ChrisW checked the continuity of all the connections as well, including all sensors (TPI, cam and crank sensors).

Can I just check, the side stand switch - should this be hot wired together, or left apart, it's the only one I'm not 100% about.

I will change the resistor tho', and maybe try 2!

As for the neutral switch, the Digidash is showing a neutral position, so I presume that's ok.

This is all SO frustrating.....cheers for your input chaps.

MK9R

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
The side stand switch is only considered if the box isn't in neutral, we had the actual switch so i don't know which way it works, but it shouldn't matter.

I'm racking my brains and can't think of anything else. I will phone my old man, back in a minute

No, he can't think of anything else apart from the CDi being up the shot

[Edited on 24/4/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 24/4/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Try a direct 12v feed via the resistor to the grey wire??

You definetly have a 100ohm resistor?

[Edited on 24/4/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Jasper

posted on 24/4/03 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
ECU checked on a working engine, 100ohm resitrs bought from Maplins, and same colour code as one received from another BEC owner,

Just got to double check wiring again, try another resistor, and earth the green/blsck wire into the fuse box.

dodgyroger

posted on 24/4/03 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've been there with my Fireblade engine a while back. My problem was that the ECU worked but was not right for my engine. I purchased the ECU seperatly to the engine. When I eventualy got the right one it fired first pop.

BTW, the fireblade engine is prone to the plugs gassing up with fuel if you don't get a spark. Not sure if you have the same problem with your engine type but it may be worth bearing this in mind or you may end up with a second problem even when you get the ECU working.

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

locodude

posted on 24/4/03 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just got in from work, turned the key and she fired up on 1/2 a turn of the engine. Only using one resistor so it must have been a dodgy connection. Not using existing fuse box, just earthed the black/green wire as per Ben Marriot's advice.

Jasper

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dodgy, got me a fuel pump switch, so I can cut it off. Also checked the number on the ECU with Kawasaki main dealer, got the right one.

Pretty sure it's a stupid wiring problem. Gotta forget it now, work in Germany over the weekend, back to it next week.

locodude

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Enjoy your pumpernickel this weekend Jasper and when you get back give me a call if you get too frustrated and I'll talk thro' whch wire has been put where.

MK9R

posted on 25/4/03 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Have you bolted the rectifier and CDi to an earthed component. 2 stroke outboard engines require you to do this otherwise it wont spark and will bugger up the units. Just a guess.

I am working on the car this afternoon, i will take aphoto and sketch a diagram of all the relavent connections and post it up over the weekend.

Enjoy your pickled cabbage!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 25/4/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
here you are:-

and

Hope this is of help, it is really annoying isn't it!!

[Edited on 25/4/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

locodude

posted on 25/4/03 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but why is the resistor connected to the white wire? Isn't this the allways live +ve feed. If so then surely the resistor will get hot and stay hot all the time, when in the bike it's only on when the key is turned. I've connected my resistor to a switched live feed so at least when the ign is off so is the resistor or am i being too carefull. Oh it fires up no problem wired this way and no clutch, sidestand or neutral cut out either.

MK9R

posted on 25/4/03 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I take your point. Not actually installed it yet, this was just how we ran it on the test bed. May have to think about that. I have brrn think about usibg this resistor as a removable plug type thing from the dash board as a anti theft device, or just insert it the other side of the ignition switch?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Jasper

posted on 28/4/03 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps - back now after eating far too much pork again.

I'll be on it again on Wednesday - PTM, are you at MK, and can I ring u there if necessary???

locodude

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, there all week more or less, mobiles probably best. 0793 0184753
Hurry up Jasper, the summers-a-coming. Been to work in her today, bloody quick but bloody noisy with that Micron on it. May have to put a baffle in for Le Mans, a dumb chris g would be a blessing but a deaf one i'm not so sure!

chrisg

posted on 28/4/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Eh? you what?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.