Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What bits do I need?
david walker

posted on 1/5/03 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
What bits do I need?

At the end of the summer I'm probably going to fit a Fireblade engine.

I know I need engine, carbs, airbox,CDi, & loom. Question is (& with respect is aimed at those who have done it) - should I purchase exhaust system also (they seem to be another £100), or do I make it up from bits? Also is it worth buying the clocks, also another £100 or so?

Whatever I buy, I am thinking that I should buy from one source/bike all at the same time.

Thanks

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Jon Ison

posted on 1/5/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dave...... IMO to get the best out of the engine then a suitable manifold is best, one with the same length down pipes as on the bike maybe ? there not made like that for nothing ? iv'e found mine very sensative to "cans" too, i have much more drivability using the standard can than the noisy race can i put on from time to time, it does lose btm end power with that on but sets car alarms off at will, sounds good under bridges too. Clocks ? your choice, youv'e seen what i did, well worth the money but ive seen plenty with bike clocks on that look maybe better but don't tell you as much.
One must from the start is uprated clutch springs, easy 1/2 hour job but gets rid of clutch slip.
Buy a bike ? not sure, you only need a small amount of the loom, and if the engine you get comes without one its not so bad, i paid £12 for a complete loom from a breakers.

one thing you won't need to buy is a smile, that comes as standard.......

david walker

posted on 1/5/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jon,

Have sent U2U

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

Wadders

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
exhaust

If you run the standard airbox, the standard exhaust is a perfect match (Mr Honda san spent squillions of yen getting it right), but by using an aftermarket air filter and air correction kit, with a free flowing exhaust and silencer, you will unleash more power(and loadsa noise), a rolling road session should sort out any flat spots e.t.c.
The problem with using standard bike headers is they generally run under the engine, which in a BEC is not really an option due to ground clearance, also standard bike cans and collectors are bloody heavy. As for the clocks,i'm using standard bike clocks with a yellowbox to compensate for error.

P.S dont forget the regulator/rectifier on your shopping list.

ATB

Wadders
]Originally posted by david walker
At the end of the summer I'm probably going to fit a Fireblade engine.

I know I need engine, carbs, airbox,CDi, & loom. Question is (& with respect is aimed at those who have done it) - should I purchase exhaust system also (they seem to be another £100), or do I make it up from bits? Also is it worth buying the clocks, also another £100 or so?

Whatever I buy, I am thinking that I should buy from one source/bike all at the same time.

Thanks

locodude

posted on 1/5/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Think once, think twice, think x-flow. Keep it till it blows up then fit a ZX9R. Don't fit a carbon Micron race can, after 7000rpm it's VERY anti-social. One of Saturday's jobs- fit a baffle! Looks cool tho'!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.