Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: broadband
andyharding

posted on 11/3/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Be aware that with some of the cheaper ISPs the limmiting speed at peak times might not be that of the broadband link between your modem and the exchange but the capacity of the providers network.

This is very true!

When a provider oversubscribes their resources this is called contention and it can occur in a number of different places in their network.

The majority of the contention will usually happen on their connection back to the BT RAS (the connection between them and BTs ADSL networ). The connections into BT are very very expensive i.e. £35000/year ish for 10Mbps!!! So generally the cheaper providers try to fit as many customers into the pipe as they can.

The second place contention may occur in the providers network is on the upstream capacity. I.E. how big a connection they have to the Internet. The cheaper providers generally have a finite amount of capacity available so that the cost is controllable. Better providers connections are burstable i.e. they will go as fast as is needed at any time to avoid slow downs.

P.S. IP Transit is the proper term for bandwidth. I.E. moving IP packets around the world.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Ronin

posted on 11/3/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jonte
Just to compare with swedish rates

10Mb/s for £13 or
100Mb/s for £28 and that´s in both directions without any restrictions

[Edited on 10-3-05 by Jonte]

Are you sure? I thought the maximum bandwidth for copper cable, ie adsl over a telephone was about 11Mbps and for cable was approx 33Mbps. Anything more than that was impossible due to lack of bandwidth.

Edit: Just checked and maximum for ADSL is 7.1Mbps download. Maximum equivalent cable is T3 in USA which is 44.74Mbps. VDSL has a maximum of 51.64Mbps but I very much doubt you would have this piped into your home. The maximum possible on cable is 13219Mbps but this is used for things like cable links from one continent to another etc.

[Edited on 11/3/05 by Ronin]

Jonte

posted on 11/3/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
well I know you don´t read swedish, but have a look at my ISPs homepage. I´m sure you understand the numbers

This page

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ronin

posted on 12/3/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Must admit your right ( eats humble pie ). That certainly is some service. Is it cable based? To achieve that much bandwidth down copper cable is incredible.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.