Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric reverse gear
wam builder

posted on 14/4/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Electric reverse gear

I see from the various builds on here that some of you guys have been using the electric starter motor route. I am currently using a reverse box on my own Busa but like the idea of freeing up the potential extra ponies that are apparently lost through the drivetrain. Having looked at some of the pics on here I could certainly carry out the work except, I would need to buy the ring gear from someone. Has anyone on here got a contact for this or can some of the really well sorted engineers supply one.
mackei23b

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in this to!
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Interested too as I think £350 for the MK is a lot. Although its cheaper than a quaife. So I will buy if I have to.
blakep82

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
could you just buy the ring to go on the diff from MK?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mad Dave

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Road Runner Racing might be able to help. They have been a chain diff reverse system with ring gear. Speak to Kev about having a ring gear cut

Description
Description

Dave

hicost blade

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Try AB Performance, Im sure they make one.
rb968

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I am looking at this at the moment. Guy in our QC can work out the teeth pattern required from the starter motor gear. He recommended these guys

http://www.hpcgears.com/products/spur_gears.htm

He spoke to the guy there and with some basic measurements they will work out what MOD you need etc. They can make ring gear in various sizes and this is who I intend to use.

Does anyone know if Bosch starters all use the same ring gear? I am off to the scrappy at some point to dig one out.

Rich

Mad Dave

posted on 14/4/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had a spur gear with module 2.5 cut for my rover starter motor. It meshes perfectly even though the rover pinion doesn't seem to eactly follow any of the spur gear calcs I've seen. Maybe its because it has been designed to have a loose mesh so it will engage more easily. Another rover starter motor seemed to have a module of 2.3 and definately would not mesh with my 2.0 or 2.5 spur gear I have had cut

Dave

40inches

posted on 14/4/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
HPC for gears, I,m looking at Nissan Micro starter at mo. Small and cheap on fleabay
mad_dogpompey

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone have a picture of the mk set up they can put up on here. looks like we could get the ring gear sorted and theres a guy near me who recons starter motors. i went in there a few months ago with a bmw525 starter motor covered in 15 years of oil and c£$p. the first words out of his mouth were 'thats a bmw525 diesel starter motor' i ve got five on the shelf' . so if someone puts a picture of the starter up they use i ll show him a pic and we ll get a price sorted of him! anytakers?
gingerprince

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey
does anyone have a picture of the mk set up they can put up on here.

See this thread

wam builder

posted on 14/4/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote

Seems like one of the more interesting topics at the moment, all these people interested!
Perhaps if we can identify a small enough starter motor and a willing engineer to turn/manufacture the ring gear we will all be on a winner.
I saw an ad by Turner Tech who have made these in the past , but have not yet managed to speak to them so I have no idea of cost.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
try looking for a nissan qashqai starter motor - i was looking at them the other day at work and they are tiny! - dunno about price, fit or availabilty tho..

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
The MK set-up looks very durable, quite lovely in its simplicity. What I can say is that there is clearly vastly more space under the MK diff flange pictured than the space under the Westfield/Freeloader.
AB (Mr Bates), does offer a very lightweight ready to adapt system based on a bike starter motor. I have this on the Westfield, I can vouch that the result is entirely satisfactory too. Remember this is from my perspective, which is from a driver that doesn't need/want to reverse much these days (circuit use only).

As for horsepower, no, taking out your reverse box doesn't really do a great deal to alter this in my view. The rolling road is telling me there's no real difference. I wouldn't do the job for that reason.
However, the car has been transformed since I binned the reverse box. Lap times have come down, the noise and vibes have evaporated, the acceleration/deceleration times have shrunk fantastically. The tunnel isn't dripping with oil. No transmission components have attempted to join me in the cockpit (yet). Bin the box for these reasons.
It's hard to beat a mechanical reverse on the road though, that's my opinion. When I used the car as a daily driver, it was fantastic, the ability to reverse effortlessly at any time, for any distance.

tommyab

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in getting one of these - only thing is the working out of the teeth to fit the motor.

In the pictures of the MK system the mounts would be right on top of my fuel / brake lines. Would be a bit easier to install if it was bolted direct to the chassis members rather than having to weld those mounts on.

wam builder

posted on 15/4/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Electric reverse gear

Although I have had some noise issues with the westfield transmission tunnel lubrication system, ( reverse box ) my main interest is in applying this electric system to the car currently in the garage being converted from Xflow to Gsxr. If this can be perfected then perhaps I can convert my Busa and spend money from the sale of said lubrication system on something nice for the garage. By the way how many beer tokens was Mr AB needing for his kit?
rb968

posted on 16/4/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I know this setup is partially just because we have to have it for IVA (although I am not sure I could cope without a reverse gear) but can anyone tell me how well it actually works ? Haven;t heard anyone mention how capable it is or how rapidly you move backwards towards the scenery!

Cheers

Rich

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/4/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Westfield Tunnel Lubrication System, is noisy. I didn't think it was, after all the sound of a screaming GSXR doesn't allow the brain to filter out the gear howl. However, it is quieter, and vibe free (which the WTLS wasn't, especially when going into flange and bearing suicide mode).
I sold both of my WTLS units, though one of them (just rebuilt by the Factory) was oil tight during a quick test - it isn't a myth, I had the one.
Get in touch with Mr Bates for his beer voucher requirements, he's a friendly chap, though sometimes a bit busy and nomadic. Persevere and he'll probably be able to help solve your problems.

However, if you're not IVA'ing or MSA'ing, there seems no reason to equip for reverse, seems pointless.

wam builder

posted on 17/4/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
E R G

The noise I was refering to was indeed some bearing canibalism and even after rebuild the T L S was quite soon back on top form, at least I know that the chassis isnt going to suffer from rust.
Both cars I am refering to are road regd and used for track so merely thinking of lecky reverse for handyness and probably quite a bit of just makin it work.

Lightning

posted on 4/10/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
to give you all a laugh. I have made exectly the drawing above for my chain driven car. It works perfectly........FOWARDS
The starter rotats anticlockwise viewed from the opposite end to the teeth. I thought it was a Honda but not sure. can anyone confirm as I know honda engines rotate the other way????

H E L P

Steve

franky

posted on 4/10/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
what about the MNR reverse box..... tests have shown its saps less power than a quaife unit.... 5bhp at the wheels on an R1 engined car.
Breaker

posted on 5/10/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
See here

for a picture I took during my visit to MK

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.