Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Collapsible steering and Padlle shift
roadrunner

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Collapsible steering and Padlle shift

Took my Indy out for a test this weekend to check the paddle set up, all was fine until i found i could'nt change up. I got home ok and found that my steering wheel slowly sinks in on its self to the point that the paddle shift catches the back. Any ideas on how to solve this problem.
Cheers
Brad.

jacko

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Any photos Brad
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the joint where the column connects to the rack. I'm sure this is summat similar to what me and Gav did on his car.

slimtater

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is it an adjustable column? I had a similar problem with mine and the "locking" mechanism was a little loose. Release the locking arm, tighten up the two nits and then re-lock the arm.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

roadrunner

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The shaft that the steering wheel fixes to slides into a beared tube which inturn bolts to the chassis, at the end of the tube is a triangular rod which then connects to the steering coupling.
There is no fixings for the steering wheel shaft its self as it is supposed to be collapsible.

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yep sounds the same as Gavs. I put pressure onto the wheel pushing it against the rack and then he tightened some nut up and it went right again.

locoR1

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you need some kind of spacer behind the steering wheel boss what paddle shift is it pathfinder? photos would help!

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

roadrunner

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It is a Pathfinder paddle. If i put a spacer in then it wont collapse, so i think a couple of tapped grub screws might be enough to nip it up.
locoR1

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
what boss are you using? have you got the standard sierra plastic spacer between the boss and column? ive got a spacer in mine although modified due to quick release wheel.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

matt.c

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think you have to tighten up the bolt which holds the steering upper shaft to the Modified shaft. This will stop it slipping down. But first undo it and pull the upper shaft or steering wheel towards the seats to allow clearance for the paddles then tightern it up tight again.

[Edited on 15/4/09 by matt.c]

slimtater

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
If the paddle is mounted to the outer column, then it would be the inner column moving hence the wheel moves nearer to the paddles. As has already been mentioned, it could be where the column fixes to the rack, where the triangular end of the inner shaft mets the UJ (just tighten the bolt) or it could be where I eventually tracked the problem down on mine. In the picture at the top left (circled) the white plastic section was moving in to column beyond its stop meaning that it was gradually shortening the overall length - this meant that eventually the paddles started fouling the boss. I stripped it all down and set everything to where it should have been and made sure everything was tight and it sorted it.

Column
Column

[Edited on 15/4/09 by slimtater]

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

roadrunner

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its definately the top section. The clamp at the top which fixes the shaft to the chassis is at its tightest, i can only make it tighter if i grind some material out of the middle to nip it up some more.
I will have a look tomorrow night and get it sorted.
Thanks for the replys fellas, lots to look into.
Brad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.